• 1 Post By redrockband
  • 1 Post By blessed#7
  • 1 Post By mareseatoats

#1 of 18 Old 07-25-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Henry Cullen

Henry made his way into the world today with a perfectly shaped noggin at 7lbs 3 oz. I'm in love with the little breech baby. He's comforted when his body is in the L shape.

He latched on right away in the am, but since then hasn't been quite as cooperative. The nurse I had all day didn't seem too concerned but the new nurse on duty is a bit pushy and fed him some formula...not the end of the world, but kind of annoyed. She made it seem like his blood sugar would be low but then told me that c section babies have amniotic fluid in their tummies making them typically less hungry.

Already been up and going which they seem surprised by. Eaten a bunch. They're really pushing pain medicine. I want to leave tomorrow, we'll see.
#2 of 18 Old 07-25-2014, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Welcome Henry! Mama, you are a rockstar! Make sure you rest!
farmes94 likes this.
#3 of 18 Old 07-25-2014, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
So good to hear - you sound happy I can't believe they gave him formula! But you're very right, not the end of the world. You'll get out of there and things will be a whole lot smoother. I love his name!

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#4 of 18 Old 07-26-2014, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Yay! Happy that you and Henry are both doing well. Congratulations!
farmes94 likes this.
#5 of 18 Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
congrats! glad he is here and you are all well! i was surprised how pushy they were about formula at the 'baby friendly' hospital i was at, too. just don't let them convince you your milk isnt enough. it takes a little while to come in, and he doesnt really need food until it does--more that you need him to latch on so your body knows to start production. I hope you get to go home soon and enjoy your first days bonding with little Henry!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#6 of 18 Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Prettyisa- did you end up using any formula at the hospital?
#7 of 18 Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
They had some when we went in a couple days later for jaundice, we had to do it at home. I just stopped as soon as possible

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#8 of 18 Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Congratulations, farmes! I second what prettyisa says -- formula isn't the end of the world, but do latch him on frequently so that your milk gets the message. How is he doing now? Still at hospital?
farmes94 likes this.

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#9 of 18 Old 07-27-2014, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congrats and welcome Henry! Our little guy had low blood sugar too and they kept telling me I would need to give him formula if it didn't go up. I had a lot of colostrum though and since he was too sleepy to nurse very well I hand expressed it and gave it to him with a spoon. It sounds like you are recovering well and hopefully are headed home soon, if not already. A little formula isn't a big deal at all, I hope he was woken up a bit and is latching on and nursing better.
farmes94 likes this.

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
#10 of 18 Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh, congrats! I'm so happy baby made it here safely ad that you are recovering well. The hand expressing and spoon feeding like redrockband mentioned work well for us too! It gave my little one the a boost to wake up and feed better. I hope you are able to head home soon and settle in. Feeding may fall into place much easier once there.
farmes94 likes this.
#11 of 18 Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
With Clementine I had to pump and finger feed for a week or two while she learned to latch better (she wouldn't open her mouth enough, initially, and had jaundice). Breastfeeding seems like it should come easily, but that isn't always the case! Just know there are lots of resources for you and you both will get the hang of it in no time. Thinking of you!
farmes94 likes this.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#12 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. We've all been home since Saturday night. It's been great being at home. Husband and I have been double teaming feedings by getting Henry to latch to my breasts then using a special syringe/straw to supplement with formula to keep his his sugars up until milk comes in. Today I've started only finger feeding as my nipples need a break; have some blistering going on which is super painful. Thought he'd been latching pretty well, but will be going in for the newborn check tomorrow and will hopefully get some more tips. He's not directly on the nipple so I don't think that's the issue, but he does have a crazy strong suckle, the little barracuda! Been pumping every two hours as breasts are engorged! I read breastfeeding would be challenging, and challenged I am. I didn't know my breasts would hurt more than my C-section, which has been bothering me way less than I'd ever envisioned. Other than getting up and being careful not to laugh too hard, pain is minimal.

Redrock- How are you feeling a month or so after surgery?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 day.jpg (45.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg feet.jpg (66.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by farmes94; 07-28-2014 at 06:13 PM.
#13 of 18 Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Congratulations to your Henry Cullen! What a cute little fella!

Breastfeeding can be very challenging at the beginning. I remember it took us about 6 weeks to get all issues taken care of and be nipple pain-free. The 2nd was faster and now with No. 3, the first 2 weeks were tough and now all is good. So hang in there, make sure he latches on correctly. If you are unsure about it then make sure you get help from your midwife, LLL or whoever is active in your area.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#14 of 18 Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
congrats farmes, so glad you finally have your little guy. love the name! will you call him hank? i love that nickname for some reason. I hope the nursing gets easier for you soon. it sounds like you and your dh are a good team though and are getting through it...and getting the help and advice you need. you will soon get through to the other side, just keep up what you are doing. You all look so happy! and I love seeing the little chickens in their big car seats! just love him up, rest up, and savor every moment...it all flies by so quickly.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#15 of 18 Old 07-29-2014, 07:35 PM

Congratulations! Hoping your breastfeeding relationship works itself out soon.
Welcome, little Henry!
#16 of 18 Old 07-31-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations :-)
#17 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 02:05 PM

farmes: I would say by 3 1/2-4 weeks I was feeling pretty much 100% recovered from the surgery. I still get random pain occasionally, but otherwise feel great. I get worried about lifting heavy things but I'm sure it would be fine. How are you feeling? The first 2 weeks were the hardest for me.

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
#18 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Min- thanks for the encouragement; things are coming along. We're getting to know one another and I suppose that's what it takes.

Turtle- I agreed to the name Henry as long as my husband promised not to call him Hank, haha. Unless he becomes a a baseball player.

Redrock- I'm at 10 days and feel great. I've been going on walks, and lifting things, doing housework, etc. I know I'm not supposed to be lifting (light items) but it doesn't hurt- if it did, I wouldn't push it...I want to ask doc if I can start up yoga again (carefully and within reason).
What pain are you still feeling?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page