Mothering Forum banner

Baby Discussion Thread

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  blessed#7 
#1 ·
Post here with chit chat abt babies weight, feeding, sleeping or whatever :)

How much weight did your baby lose in the first days/week? We saw the pediatrician Friday and baby girl was 7lb2oz from 7lb9oz at birth.

I dont think 7oz is an issue at all but she insisted we come in tomorrow for a recheck. I don't mind. Just curious if this seems average. My milk didn't fully come in til day 4/5 and the weight check was on day 5. Wet diapers are steadily increasing and so much heavier than days 1-3.

All else was well at checkup as far as bilirubin levels, hearing and PKU taken care of as that couldn't be done pre 24hrs and we discharged early.

#2 ·
I think there must be some new push to be crazy about possible weight loss or something. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me at all!

My guys are getting a little more predictable--except that yesterday T had a crying jag that lasted most of the afternoon before handing off to R for an up-until-1-a.m. round. Sheesh. But they are four weeks old today, and definitely more awake than before. I swear T is trying to smile at me sometimes, though it's a little early. I am SO looking forward to that milestone! I feel like all of the sleepless nights and being yelled at and puked on just disappears when they look at you and grin those big gummy grins!

#3 ·
Post here with chit chat abt babies weight, feeding, sleeping or whatever :)

How much weight did your baby lose in the first days/week? We saw the pediatrician Friday and baby girl was 7lb2oz from 7lb9oz at birth.

I dont think 7oz is an issue at all but she insisted we come in tomorrow for a recheck. I don't mind. Just curious if this seems average. My milk didn't fully come in til day 4/5 and the weight check was on day 5. Wet diapers are steadily increasing and so much heavier than days 1-3.

All else was well at checkup as far as bilirubin levels, hearing and PKU taken care of as that couldn't be done pre 24hrs and we discharged early.
That doen't sound like a worrying weight loss to me. My understanding is that a 10% loss is considered normal, even by mainstream standards. A 10% loss for your baby would have been 12 ounces, so I think you're fine. Doc is probably being extra cautious with the recheck. I bet the recheck will show weight gain, if you have milk now and babe is having lots of wet diapers. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

#4 ·
We haven't yet gone for our NB check (we're seeing a naturopath this week, and midwife examined tinybaby at birth). I feel like I'm starting from scratch - my first child had an incredibly rocky beginning to breastfeeding, had serious allergies, was four weeks early, etc. I'm not sure what's actually normal and what's just paranoia given my first experience - tinybaby's latch is a little lazy, it seems, and he's been incredibly fussy lately - but whether that's an elimination-diet-time! issue, generic normal fussiness, or tinybaby picking up on my emotional state for the past bit (husband does lots of traveling for work, and while I recognize it's a necessary evil, I still HATE being away from him), I have no idea.

#5 ·
Sounds all reasonable. Here they have that 10% weight loss rule after birth establish before anybody gets worried. We had ours weighed right after birth and since then he has been weighed twice by my homecare midwife and once at the docs office on our WBV. He was pretty jaundiced like all my babies. This time I was prepared for it though and did not worry at all. He is eating like a champ and has gained almost 3 lbs. since birth already. He still looks yellowish. We got the newborn screening taken care of and hearing screening. All good! My milk came 3-4 days after birth.

#6 ·
mavis lost 5 oz by the 3rd day and that is when my lik came in, so by day 5 with no milk, 7 oz sounds just about right.

she is now becoming quite the little chunker...love the rolls! she is such a mellow little baby. sleeps really well. nurses once or twice during the night.

I am concerned about her poop though. it is not right. it is watery and now becoming a bit greenish, so I am suspecting an allergy. my mw does not want me to start the elim-diet until 6 weeks, but I am tempted to start sooner. I just dont understand why wait so long. she says to allow her system to mature a bit more before I start to worry, but i feel like it wouldn't hurt to take out one thing at a time for a fews days to see if it makes a difference. other than her poop being funny, she is showing very little signs of distress, except for that she doesn't feel comfy on her back and prefers to be help upright except for when nursing. could be an upset belly thing. any thoughts?

#8 ·
I am concerned about her poop though. it is not right. it is watery and now becoming a bit greenish, so I am suspecting an allergy. my mw does not want me to start the elim-diet until 6 weeks, but I am tempted to start sooner. I just dont understand why wait so long. she says to allow her system to mature a bit more before I start to worry, but i feel like it wouldn't hurt to take out one thing at a time for a fews days to see if it makes a difference. other than her poop being funny, she is showing very little signs of distress, except for that she doesn't feel comfy on her back and prefers to be help upright except for when nursing. could be an upset belly thing. any thoughts?
My first had a milk protein (beta-lactaglobulin) allergy from birth. I was quite young and no one else I knew had experienced anything similar, so it did take me a bit to realize it. He was extremely gassy, foamy diapers, what I thought was baby acne but actually was hives on his face, and would scream constantly. Once we cut out all milk protein (milk, whey, casein, etc) and it cleared from our systems (allegedly 3-8 weeks?) then things rapidly improved. We have a history of food allergies in our family and apparently studies have shown that there can be a genetic predisposition when there is a family history. So far, I've cut out milk protein with this baby (I meant to start around 30 weeks, but ended up cutting it out at birth) and tomatoes, because he tends to react to those.

You might just keep an eye on it and see if the diapers are the only sign/symptom or if there is something more? This baby seems to be alternating diaper explosions of yellow/greenish mess, and the seedy breastmilk diapers that are typical. He seems content and our doctor (alternative medicine) today said that he looked wonderful, so I'm not concerned, and won't be unless something else arises.

I'm a little jealous that Mavis only nurses once or twice at night! This one is a serious "in arms" baby and I swear I wouldn't sleep at all if we didn't co-sleep.

#9 ·
Caled--are things improving with the latch at all? E had a lazy one in the beginning, but it got better as he started gaining more weight. Also, you can always pop them off and tell them they have to try harder to get it right. As long as they aren't crazy-angry at you for doing it, I find that they really do learn to do it properly if that's the only way they're allowed to stay on!

Minerva and Farmes--light and food. If it's a mild case, nursing a lot and some sun will do it, if it's more serious they might ask you to supplement with formula and possibly use bili-lights. There are blanket versions in some hospitals, but my guys had to spend 24 hours in little isolette tanning booths. I wasn't happy about it at the time, but it was actually pretty pleasant for them, I think. They get little masks (which they hate) and then just hang out in a warm incubator under led lights until the levels start dropping. Apparently if it gets to high levels the jaundice can cause brain damage, so it's not good to ignore it, but it's really common and I think most cases are mild.

I'm jealous of the once or twice nursing, too! We actually only nurse 2-3 times/night, but then there's lots of distress, burping, etc to keep us up the rest of the time. They are getting bigger, though! I actually put away the newborn sized clothes yesterday. :( Not sure if these guys are the last babies, so we'll keep them around for a while, but it was sad to think I might never need itty bitty onesies again.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies on weight loss! We had to cancel the weight check Monday bc a health dept appt ran late and so we go at 11 today. I'm not concerned either. It's a new pediatrician so I will oblige and bring her back in so we don't get off on the wrong foot.

In response to possible food allergies I've been wondering the same with my little one. She is very gassy. And poop? She passed all the meconium on day 1&2 and then didn't go again until day 7. Ped knew this and had no concerns so long as baby is happy and no hard belly. My other EBF babies never pooped well either. Always bothered me but never them. They grew perfectly and never had pain so I just let it be. But I wonder if an allergy can cause the watery/green poop some babies get as well as no poop.

Dairy and egg are he typical culprits in our home. I can cut both but I won't know what to eat without my homemade grain free egg/nut butter breads. I much prefer that to a gluten free bread and it is so filling. Sigh.

I have no experience with the jaundice but I second the nurse nurse nurse and natural sunlight if it's mild. A friend of mine caught her daughters early on and managed to treat it at home but they did have the levels monitored by the pediatrician.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the replies on weight loss! We had to cancel the weight check Monday bc a health dept appt ran late and so we go at 11 today. I'm not concerned either. It's a new pediatrician so I will oblige and bring her back in so we don't get off on the wrong foot.

In response to possible food allergies I've been wondering the same with my little one. She is very gassy. And poop? She passed all the meconium on day 1&2 and then didn't go again until day 7. Ped knew this and had no concerns so long as baby is happy and no hard belly. My other EBF babies never pooped well either. Always bothered me but never them. They grew perfectly and never had pain so I just let it be. But I wonder if an allergy can cause the watery/green poop some babies get as well as no poop.

Dairy and egg are he typical culprits in our home. I can cut both but I won't know what to eat without my homemade grain free egg/nut butter breads. I much prefer that to a gluten free bread and it is so filling. Sigh.

I have no experience with the jaundice but I second the nurse nurse nurse and natural sunlight if it's mild. A friend of mine caught her daughters early on and managed to treat it at home but they did have the levels monitored by the pediatrician.
blessed - You can either substitute bananas (I use them when they're overripe and very squishy) or ground flax seed mixed with water (you might need to double check, but I think it's 4 Tbsp flax whisked with 6 Tbsp water - I don't remember if that's a substitute for one egg or two) for eggs. I was vegan for a few years between my boys and I used the substitution/s in a banana bread recipe.

prettyisa - I actually had flat nipples with my first, and used a shield with great success (weaned from the shield after 2-3 months), but it looks like I've reverted. I can't find the old shields I had, so I've had to get new ones, but I forgot what size I needed - cue me buying them repeatedly in different sizes. I will pull away if his latch is too shallow, but I feel badly that he's so frustrated - so am I! :) We never did formula with our first (EBF until almost a year) and that was FAR more difficult an experience (being so young and having issues go undiagnosed) so I'm just shrugging and rolling with the punches.

I get to encapsulate my placenta and make more postpartum ice pack pads today (they're really soothing on my not-stitched tear!). Whee!

#12 ·
Thanks caledvwlch! I actually already dump a ton of flax in and also use 2 bananas to sweeten it. I guess I can simply omit the egg next time and see what happens. And I do recall making "pancakes" awhile back with just punt butter and banana and they were filling and really balanced my blood sugar for hours. I would spread some apple butter or strawberry preserves on and omg yum!

Update on weight loss for baby - she was 7lbs 9.5 oz today so 7.5oz gain in 5 days :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.