Mothering Forum banner

Sibling relationships

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  turtlemamameg 
#1 ·
How are things going for new siblings? Just curious if anyone else's kids want to kiss the baby as much as mine. I love the yearning for interaction, but it is overwhelming how kissy Piper wants to be with her little sis. Does this neverending kissing phase wear off? Should I just be happy that it is positive rather than negative interaction?

#2 ·
Sounds pretty typical of a new big sister :) 7yo dd is a seasoned big sis. She likes the baby and is helpful when he needs to be held and I need my hands free for a task. She's straddling a place of loving the baby but "knowing what baby brothers turn into" but their gap is so big there probably won't be much conflict between those 2. 2yo do is cute with him. He ignores him a lot, but one adorable thing is if he sees me holding him, and he's awake and not nursing he insists, "baby needs milk!" he likes to "pet" him and play the "what body parts does the baby have" game, and when we get to teeth he cracks up. The 5yo..wow.no specific wrath aimed at the baby, has asked to hold him a few times, and otherwise ignores him. But heaven forbid my husband hold him. He freaks out. Like refuse to come to the table to eat (a food he was very excited about eating) because dh was holding the baby :(

#3 ·
Our ped said the honeymoon period is about two weeks, and was surprised there haven't been any issues yet... Coming up on a month. Big brother (5) is enjoying cruise directing baby's "bedtime" and the general bossiness is turned up to 11, but otherwise he's doing pretty well. Definitely crazy with the kissing too though.

#4 ·
Older child wavers between "I want to kiss and hug the baby all the time" and ignoring the baby. I'm not concerned, really. He does like to overshare on details, though, and he's not as content to hold the baby as I'd like (so I can use the toilet or take a quick shower alone)!

#5 ·
My toddler largely ignores the baby. In a way, it's kind of nice. No jealousy or tantrums. My (much) older middle kids love the baby, but having him around did put a bit of a crimp in their summer plans. There were a few rumblings of resentment towards me because of that. My oldest (15) has been completely amazing and I am so grateful for her patience and willingness to help without being asked. I've made a large effort to not require extra work or chores from her, but she keeps volunteering. (If only my husband would follow suit. I'd prefer his presence and help over the extra money he makes working overtime.)

#6 ·
I think we've done pretty well around here with the older kids still having a summer full of fun and adventure in spite of a new baby. At first I thought the summer was going to be a bit of a dud, but I think its been a pretty nice one, by kid standards :) Pregnancy is easy on me so its "business as usual" right up until labor. We've had gymnastics and swimming lessons and trips to the beach, picnics at the park, swimming in a local creek (ugh, until they dredged it up!) and finding tadpoles and other little critters, and now my husband took the older 3 kids to WI for a week. Its been just Connor and I since last Thurs. They come home tomorrow night. So they've gotten to see their grandparents (don't live there, they're visiting there also!) and visit their great-grandparents' lake house, go camping, even renting a small trailer (my 5yo is *obsessed* with RVs right now) for the campsite, stayed a couple nights at a place that is so much like great wolf lodge (but not) that I suspect that it might have used to be but they decided to split off from the franchise or something. And we'll probably hit the state fair at least once when they get home :) They better not have anything to complain about the quality of their summer!!

#7 ·
Lots of kissing going on here too. I am so happy it is going so well. The little one is a wee bit jealous but most of the time it is alright. When they go to bed I have to place their little brother next to them in bed so they can kiss him good night and cuddle with him. So sweet. I am very pleasantly surprised that everything has worked out so well.

#8 ·
Lilstarr, sounds tough to have a lo that is jealous when dh holds baby :( I hope that dousn't last long. Sounds like you summer is going great though. it must be so nice to get to know you lo without the rest of the crew. I'm a bit jealous of that!!!

Mamablue, must be nice to have a 15yo helper around, but I totally understand about dh. mine is on the farm, but sooo busy...and also not the best baby caregiver, so I wish i had a on older sib to help. you are lucky she is willing:)

AFM, summer has been pretty much business as usual in many ways, so a combo of fun and farm work, which dd has grown up pretty used to. she enjoys picking out mavis's clothes every morning and is helpful with running and fetching me stuff, which has been a big help, but is not into touching spit up or wet diapers at all, so I have o runthose items to the laundry. I have to watch her though, as she wants to pick up the baby, but is only "almost" 5 so isn't quite ready for that. I try to give her lots of chances to hold her while sitting to help fill the urge to pick her up, but it only seems to fuel it, hmmm??? we are well past the 2 week "honeymoon" period and she is still so in love with her, so I hope it just lasts forever. she asks" how long before baby can chase me around the house" and "how long before we can go anywhere we want on the farm together without an adult"...it's cute. we plan to homeschool, so it will be nice to see them grow up having a close bond, as they will be spending a lot of time together despite their age difference of 4 3/4 years. now that mvis is alittle bigger, the kissing and handing is a it easier because I am not so afraid she will hurt her, but still can seem "too much". i am trying to just accept that it is better than the alternative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.