Working away from home Moms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Working away from home Moms?

Just wondering if anyone else was planning on heading back to work away from home anytime soon? Any tips from those of you that have done it before? How long did you end up breastfeeding for? I was hoping to make it at least 6 months.

I'm headed back on Tuesday and quite honestly, not looking forward to pumping at work (thanks to those of you who encouraged me not to pump and bottle feed from the get-go, once breastfeeding was established, it was much easier). I'm not really worried about privacy as I have a pretty private office and folks I work with will know that's what I'm up to when the door is closed.

Thankfully my husbands sister is headed out for the month of September until my husband finishes up work in October and will be able to take care of baby until May, so at least I'm not worrying about daycare...I have the option to work some from home but just don't see myself being able to get a lot of work done,

I'm also worried my husband may be upset with me if I decide to call quits on breastfeeding early. I'm sure I'm jumping the gun, just a bit nervous for Tuesday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I wish you lots of luck heading back to work this week. I hope that you can get into a rhythm pumping at work. There are several moms who pumped in my office last winter, in fact our company has a "pump room", and it seemed like they all did pretty well with it. I will encourage you to BF as long as you can, at least 6 months, as it is soooo good for baby to get all that good stuff from your milk. Formula just doesn't have what mother nature gave us and so try to use your own liquid gold for as long as you can muster it up...though this is coming from someone who doesn't have to go back to work and I don't know what it is like to pump all the time, so you will know what is best for you as you go through it.

How wonderful that you have family to watch over the little one. I wish you well as you head back.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've got another month before I go back. I pumped with DS1 until he was a year, then he drank cow milk at daycare, and we nursed when I was home until he was 2. Advice....
-Get some sort of hands free rig
-Make sure you have the right sized flanges
-Make sure whoever has baby knows that baby doesn't get as much expressed milk as they would formula

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have three more weeks before I go back. Agreed with the advice to get a hands free bra. I went for a year pumping for dd, and will try to do that again. I hope your first day went well! I found it kind of relaxing to get back to work in some ways. Hopefully I feel that way again!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

My first day back was great-felt good to be back in the swing of things. I think it would have been a lot worse if I'd had to worry about shipping baby off to daycare, but I have loving family for him, so things were all good.

Pumping was just fine and not bad at all, especially since I'm the only office up stairs and have access to two full kitchens with sinks and fridges, etc.

I will definitely be getting a hands free contraption of some sort. Right now, I have one electric pump and one hand pump, so I should probably get another electric as well!

Somelady- What do you mean babies eat less breast milk than formula?

Thanks for the advice and support.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad it went well!

The volume thing isn't likely to be an issue quite yet, but as formula fed babies get older, they need more formula, while breastmilk changes its composition or something instead. So I had a daycare provider who was harassing me that they needed 6-8oz (for a 6ish mo) per bottle when I was pumping 4ish. Didn't help that he hated them taking the bottle right after he was done so would complain loudly, which they took as him still being hungry.... Luckily I had family looking after him before and they all said "he just needs to make sure it's really empty before they take it" and an awesome ped who told them he was fine.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I went back to work on the 19th when Thijs was 2 months old. It's really hard for me, it doesn't help that I don't love my job. Pumping seems to be going okay. I feel like I am barely pumping as much as he eats, but I remind myself that is all I need to pump. We are looking at me actually quitting my job and staying home. I had to let our nanny go last night because she left the baby alone and crying a few times yesterday.

There is a really good paced bottle feeding video on youtube that will help any caregivers make sure they aren't letting him guzzle it down and overfeed him. It should take him as long to eat a bottle as it does to nurse.

I'm glad your transition is going well, having family to help sure makes it easier huh?

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
Old 09-05-2014, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Redrock- family does make things easier for piece of mind. I hope you all are able to find a good nanny so you're able to be at ease. It must be difficult being someplace you don't particularly enjoy knowing you could be home with baby.

Now that I'm settling back into a routine, I've been missing Henry a lot and am very sleepy! He is just so cute and I feel like I'm missing out a bit. Ah, to be an American with unpaid maternity leave...we invest so well in our future...

User Tag List