Mothering Forum banner

Alternative Due Dates

376 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  gratefulgoddess 
#1 ·
I was charting my BBT and know when I ovulated, does anyone have any information or know of any calculators to get an alternative due date (eg. not based on LMP). I'm mainly asking because when I first meet with my OB I want to get clear on the EDD to rule out any induction suggestions before 42 weeks.

#2 ·
Here's one: http://www.perinatology.com/calculators/Due-Date.htm

Other calculators assume ovulation is 14 days after LMP, so it's pretty easy to just count back 14 days from ovulation and give that as your LMP to get an accurate EDD based on ovulation. I just give my OB that date instead of my actual LMP so I don't have to argue with them about what due date is "real."

#3 ·
With my second daughter I ovulated on day 28 of my cycle. I'm so glad that I knew when I ovulated and my midwife was cool with an alternate due date. When I went to the hospital for my ultrasound they were completely thrown off, and they refused to write down my correct due date. But of course they did point out that she was measuring small. You think?!? She was born a day before her correct due date (2 weeks after the hospital's due date), covered in vernix.

I would actually suggest you not make up a LMP date because this is a great opportunity to test your doctor. If he/she refuses to discuss your correct date or pushes for an ultrasound to verify, then you know to switch doctors. If, however, he/she takes your word for it, then you know they've got potential. If you've only got one doctor in town though, just make up a LMP date because you don't want to risk your baby's health.

#4 ·
My ovulation date is a bit in contention.. FF says CD20, but I had more O signs at CD13 (this is also a common O date for me)... and check out my test on CD32 (either 12DPO or 19DPO)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/47ab11

Since this test is sooo dark..it seems more likely that I O'd on CD13 which puts me at 8 weeks....June 2nd, or I'm 7 weeks June 9th (FMP would be June 3rd). I plan to bring my chart and test result with me when I see my midwife. I did have a midwife on a forum who spends a lot of time studying charts ell me that I O'd on CD13... and someone else told me they got a dark test like this at 12DPO..soo

:dizzy

I'm hoping the US at 20 Weeks gives us the final clue we need.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone! That is all so helpful

Sihaya: thanks for the link, I was struggling to find one. My EDD could be anywhere from June 20 (LMP) or July 3 (ovulation) so those little calculators always help
smile.gif

Dandy Lion: I already have the date of the LMP when booking the appointment but I have no problem talking straight with the doctor and making sure he understands I will not be considering myself 'overdue' by early July
smile.gif
your situation is exactly the type of thing I could see happening! Thanks for sharing.

Activia: let me know how it goes with your midwife. It definitely looks like you O'd earlier in the cycle (that test!)

#7 ·
If that pregnancy test was a First Response, that could possibly be a 12 dpo positive. I normally got a fairly solid positive with them by 9 dpo. Plus, based on your temps in the chart, I would definitely say a later o date.

WonderFull, I always tell them my o date rather than lmp. Because I'm still nursing, my cycles aren't exactly text book. :)

#8 ·
I showed my midwife my chart and the test. She said the tests are so sensitive that she wasn't convinced by it that it really meant that I O'd earlier. She also wasn't all the convinced about the O date on FF. She asked what my cycles were prior. I said mostly 28 days with a few outliers around 33. So she gave me June 6th which I'm happy with because it's between the two dates (June 2nd, June 9th). I at first was like...part of me is like awwwwwwww man that means longer until I"m done with the 1st trimester. She's like, the date we choose on the calendar is not going to make you feel better hunny... I said...I know, and I'd rather have a later date so there is less chance of being too late causing them to want to induce. She agreed, and that was part of her reasoning for adding a few days.

#9 ·
I was wondering this also today- as I'm qualifying for a government funded home birth- but if your overdue than you will be forced to go to hospital. So we were trying to conceive and I'm just going to tell the midwife my ovulation date rather than my EDD- which is June 14- and by my conception due date is June 21- however because hubby and I were trying we were quite frisky and it's harder to say which day was the actual conception day. (sorry tmi) anyone else in this boat?

#10 ·
Speaking from exp here...if you know when you ovulated, I wouldn't mess with explaining. I have given my real LMP and explained that I was charting, know when I o'd, and don't have a 28 day cycle before, and even though my practice was great, it was just not worth the hassle IMO.

Your LMP date is used (instead of your EDD or adjusted EDD) pervasively for insurance billing, testing, and at any referrals. Some people don't understand, and others don't believe you really know. I had to explain/argue over and over, even at the hospital when I was 'overdue'. I had a male OB tell me no woman is able to discern when she ovulates (????) It was also used to recommend all sorts of unecessary tests like an early dating ultrasound and NSTs at the end.

Now I always just give my LMP as 2 weeks before I know I ovulated, and it's smooth sailing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratefulgoddess View Post

I was wondering this also today- as I'm qualifying for a government funded home birth- but if your overdue than you will be forced to go to hospital. So we were trying to conceive and I'm just going to tell the midwife my ovulation date rather than my EDD- which is June 14- and by my conception due date is June 21- however because hubby and I were trying we were quite frisky and it's harder to say which day was the actual conception day. (sorry tmi) anyone else in this boat?
This time around, I have the same issue...know when I ovulated but not sure if I concieved that day or if the egg might have hung around and fertilized in the days following. I went with a few days after, since I know I tend to go over 40 weeks and the window for 'term' is skewed in favor of early rather than late.

Even if you are honest about your LMP, they just calculate it based on ovulation, not necessarily conception, so I wouldn't worry about it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.