Mothering Forum banner

When is your first visit to your Dr or Midwife?

913 views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  Becky Wheeler 
#1 ·
Just curious...because I have no recollection at all when my first appointment was in my last pregnancy (in canada) but my first pregnancy was in Japan where they over check, so I had appointments every 2-3 weeks at the beginning.

My first appointment this time is set for December 9th, when I will be around 12 weeks.

#2 ·
I have an appointment with OBGYN I am using until I find a midwife, it is on Nov. 7th, pretty early! I had a m/c with my last pregnancy and was living in a different state seeing midwives at a birthing center, I didn't go until 10 weeks! So, I am kind of excited to go early!

#3 ·
I have a history of early losses and a blood clotting disorder, so I saw my OB at 4 weeks to talk about meds. I have my official first appt with their office at 7 weeks and my "viability" ultrasound scheduled for 8 weeks. If all that goes well, my first appt with my home birth midwife will be around 12-14 weeks.

#5 ·
I haven't called them yet. Usually my midwives like to see people around 8 weeks for a first visit and then start regular visits around 12 weeks. Since I have a history of multiples, though, I suspect they will want me to come earlier "just to check" with an ultrasound,

At this point, if it is twins, I don't feel ready to know. :)

#7 ·
Probably the first or second week in nov. I'll be in their office on the fifth of November for an EC class, but I'll only be 10 weeks then. I wasn't able to get a hb with my last baby until 11weeks, and that made for a rough week. So I might just hold off until a week later.

#8 ·
My home birth midwife doesn't usually do the 1st check until 16 weeks! That being said last time she let us come in at 10 weeks to try and hear the heartbeat before we told our families. We'll probably go in around 12/13 weeks this time to do the same. It's kind of hard to be patient, but helps make the rest of the pregnancy go by way faster when you don't have a million appointments in the first few months.

#11 ·
Our first appointment is with an OBGYN at 10 weeks - 19th November. In Australia it's normal to see the OB every 5-6 weeks for a pregnancy that's progressing normally. Our OB is pro-vaginal/natural birth but we'll definitely be asking him a lot of questions in the first appointment!
notes.gif

I'm more concerned about the amount of U/S people seem to get - some women I know are really looking forward to having one at every appointment
uhoh3.gif
we're in the "ok in moderation" camp, but I'm aware everyone's view on 'moderation' is different so I hope I don't have to explain that one too much.

#12 ·
We have our first appt Wed at 8 weeks with a midwife from the birthing center. I think it's just bloodwork/paperwork and go over procedures.

#13 ·
My 1st appt was originally scheduled for Nov 1 (8 weeks), but they just called to reschedule for Nov 8 (9 weeks). We'll have an u/s and then see the ob/gyn after. With my last pg, I had an u/s at 5 weeks (to confirm pg), another u/s 3 days later, another one 2 weeks later, another one at 9 weeks, and the NT u/s at 12 weeks. I was being followed by an RE though, so that's why there were so many u/s. After graduating to my ob/gyn, we only had the one u/s at 20 weeks.

#17 ·
Um....I'm really not even sure. I just "saw" my midwife last night, but not because of an appointment. :) I'm a La Leche League leader and we hold meetings at the birth center. I actually told her I was pregnant before I told my husband! LOL She was my mw with my last child too so she knows what she's getting into with me as a patient. I'm about as hands off as they come and I do only enough to get by. Minimal appointments, no testing, ultrasounds, no vaginal checks, etc. So, it will probably be a long long while before I actually have an official appointment. But, if I needed to establish a trust with her, it would be a different story.

#19 ·
Mine is going to be at 9 weeks, 11/22 with my midwife from my last birth. I hope it is smooth sails so I don't have to have that many appointments overall. Minimal to moderate.

#20 ·
I'm in NY & my doc told me in July (when I was discussing coming off the pill) that when I took a + hpt to call his office. I cld his office a few days after my missed period & I went in last week (4 weeks to the day of when i thought I conceived) to get blood drawn & had a pelvic exam. I go back a week from today for a vag sono.

#21 ·
November 27th, about 12 weeks.

WITH MY MIDWIFE!!!

Midwives are in very very high demand here and we were not able to get one for my first pregnancy. I was devestated, so I was SO thrilled this time to get the call last Saturday!!!

#23 ·
WITH MY MIDWIFE!!!

Midwives are in very very high demand here and we were not able to get one for my first pregnancy. I was devestated, so I was SO thrilled this time to get the call last Saturday!!

That is awesome! where in Canada are you? I was in the same situation for my last pregnancy and had to hire a private midwife. I am still on the waiting list to get a midwife now, and they can call any time up until 30 weeks! gad. so late!

#24 ·
I had my first visit last night. I LOVE LOVE my midwife (well its a group and I've only met one so far).. They only do on US at 18-22 weeks unless you want to do genetic testing or there are complications...perfect! They have a fetoscope which I can request they use after 15 weeks...so they'll only be using doppler once (my next visit) to listen to the heartbeat. She's very much open to homeopathy and was very happy with my diet. She also wanted my date to be a "safe" because she was not a fan of inducing labor, which was so great to hear. They do not have any standard interventions except the required fetal monitor for 20 min when you come in for labor and then periodically thru labor for less than 5 min at a time. They are very pro-natural birthing. She gave me June 6th for my due date.

She did make it clear to me that only if the risk remains low, and there are no problems during labor that I get to give birth at the birth center, otherwise they will transfer you to the hospital which they are basically a division of. However, the midwife will go with you! They deliver at both the hospital and birth center. I love the birth center it's very much a home environment. They have a nice porch, huge huge jacuzzi's for water births separate bedrooms, living room and kitchen.

The midwives go over your file every step of the way with the OBs and if there are any complications or further tests they are performed by the OB. When you come in for labor they report to the OB with your (and the baby's) current condition and they are kept in the loop. It's really the best of both worlds.

I guess I made a mistake by telling my mother that I was seeing a midwife instead of an OB. I didn't expect the reaction I got from her even though I attempted to explain that OBs were consulted.

This is exactly what she screamed to me on the phone..

"DOES SHE HAVE A DR AT THE END OF HER NAME!" "YOU MIGHT DIE AND YOUR BABY!" "YOU ARE CRAZY!"

I told her to let me explain but she was definitely not open to anything as she was in total rage mode. I said I wouldnt discuss further when she was like this..and she didnt stop so I had to hang up... this was quite upsetting after having such a wonderful experience at my appointment.

#25 ·
My first midwife appointment is Nov. 13th which should be about 8 weeks along. This is my first pregnancy and I can't wait to go to the midwifery group that has come highly recommended! Until then I'm finding myself reading everything I can, since I'm new to all of this. If anyone wants to share what I can expect during my first appointment, I would love to hear from you! Thanks!

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mease8 View Post

My first midwife appointment is Nov. 13th which should be about 8 weeks along. This is my first pregnancy and I can't wait to go to the midwifery group that has come highly recommended! Until then I'm finding myself reading everything I can, since I'm new to all of this. If anyone wants to share what I can expect during my first appointment, I would love to hear from you! Thanks!
Well I'll tell you what mine was like, since it was just yesterday. First I handed in paperwork with background genetic info and your medical history. Then she gave me a general orientation of how the practice worked, what the standard procedures and appt schedules were and how they handled complications, how the birth would be handled.. Then we went over the paperwork, symptoms, my cycle and she gave me a due date.. Then she went over nutrition, exercise, medication that could be taken, activities that were safe or should be avoided, and our options for genetic testing. She also gave me tips for handling the nausea and explained some common pains I could get and which ones I should call about. Then she did a basic exam, reflexes/heart/lungs/and uterus area. I opted out of the pap smear. Then I had to go for blood/urine work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.