Pregnancy To Do Lists! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 94 Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This was one of my favorite threads in my last DDC. What sort of things do you plan/need to accomplish before the baby gets here? Either directly baby related (buying, creating, organizing), house related, YOU related, etc. What are you now on a countdown for? 

Myself: Our biggest thing, which was SUPPOSED to be done before our LAST baby was born (ugh), is to finish our basement to a point where it's livable. It's close now, paint on the walls, most of the ceiling is up. We just need to throw some cheap rugs down for now, as we can't afford carpet yet, and grab some furniture. Mostly I'm just excited to get the play spaces for my daughter up and 'running'. Right now so many of her toys are in storage still :(

I also want to finish weaning my 23 month old. She's down to 1-2 times a day, but I'm pretty sure my milk is gone, and I am feeling so emotionally done. She's just not ready yet. We also want to get her sleeping primarily in her own bed. Right now she starts the night in her bed, and comes in with us after her first wakeup, between 11pm-2am usually. I'd love her to stay in her own room until more like 5, and then come in for snuggles. 

And we've got a bunch of things to buy/organize for new baby, but so far I haven't made lists yet, which is -amazing- for me, as I have a touch of ocd, and normally my brain doesn't feel settled until I have everything perfectly planned and organized and laid out. It's a new feeling! 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 94 Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 PM

My dh and I were talking about this the other day! I've got nothing that has to be done before the baby is born. Nothing. I guess that's the benefit of having babies semi close together. I went gender neutral with all of the baby stuff, so I don't need to buy anything. We've got plenty of hand-me-down clothes in the family for either gender. 

I've got a few things I want to do though :) I always crochet my babies a blankie, so I'll do that. I want to make a couple more diaper covers. And since we're not going to find out the sex of the baby, I think I'll make or buy a couple of gender neutral newborn clothing items. And I kinda want to redo my bedroom. And start an etsy store. I designed a baby carrier that's really easy and inexpensive to make, quick and easy to use, and super comfy. Since baby carriers are now regulated, I'm planning on selling the pattern and sewing video tutorials. This week some ladies in my local baby wearing group are going to start trying out a carrier to give me feedback on my design and stuff. Yay!

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#3 of 94 Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 AM

House: move office to finished basement so there is a room for a baby (wow, that's weird to say!). Since babies sleep with us the first few months, we have a bit of extra time ...

Myself: I want to try to finish my Lamaze certification (I think I can test in April). I also need to talk to my advisor about what my options will be with scheduling, etc come next summer.

Baby specific: I need to go through our baby stuff from DS and figure out what we have and what we need. I already know that we will need a new infant car seat, and I really want some little fitted cloth diapers ...

That's about as far ahead as I can let myself think!

Mama to DS 11/25/09 kid.gif
Married to my truelove since 6/2/2007 fuzmalesling.gif

pos.gif <- that happened, EDD 6/28/14

#4 of 94 Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM

Since we didn't find out the sex of ds until he was born, we went with all gender neutral baby items. So no need to really buy anything baby-related but some newborn size diapers. The biggest things will be moving ds from the crib to a big boy bed, possibly in a new room. Haven't decided yet if we're going to give the new baby a new room or give ds a new room. Either way, the HUGE desk in the study has to be moved by next summer and the study will be converted into one of the kids' rooms. Anybody have any anecdotes or suggestions on whether a transition to a big boy bed AND a new room will be too much change for a 2-year old? 

#5 of 94 Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 AM

We are starting a remodeling project and adding another bedroom, 3/4 bath, and laundry room! My hubby says it'll be done before the baby is here. I have my fingers crossed!
As far as baby things...the last baby was almost 11 years ago. We need stuff!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#6 of 94 Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 AM

Next week we're tackling a major kitchen renovation, we're ripping out brick benches, oven towers shelves etc. We're ripping up existing vinyl floor and installing new flooring, patching up our roof and then assembling all new cabinetry. DH is a legend and I can't wait to help him out :) Hopefully it will only take a couple of weeks to get it all done.

Before little bebe comes along, I'd love to fix up our backyard, it's a basic dirt pit at the moment, needs some landscaping, fence repairs, ground covers and tidying up existing plants. I would love to have a nice quiet place that's relaxing. I can imagine it will take me a while to get past the sleep deprivation with a newborn and having a close outdoor space to soak up sun will be nice...

Oh, and it's our first, so we got all that on the list too! :eyesroll 

[Clare] Wife to an amazing man. Expecting our first little nugget babyf.gifLove my pooch and DIYing our home.
#7 of 94 Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM

Erh, I have a BOOK of things-to-do.  I started our baby-related to-do list when we started trying to get pregnant, and I've been adding to it (and crossing things off!) for about 3 years now :twins

I'd be happy to post it here.  Maybe it would give me motivation to get started back up again.  We kinda forgot about it for a little while, since we were taking a break from TTC after our m/c.

Here it is!  Seriously....it's long.

Household Stuff-to-Do

1.   -Organize entry hall, add a light fixture, coat rack, and some sort of wall organization (incoming mail box, whiteboard, key hanger, shoe storage) / decoration (hang photos), add door storage to the hall closet

2.   -Get welcome doormat and make signs “from” midwives

3.   - Buy and install washer (and dryer if we can swing it), add shelving to top of that closet

4.   - Build radiator covers for all three radiators (but especially the one in the nursery)

5.   - Organizing basket(s) for top of washer (for laundry supplies), get a drying rack and wool dryer balls, magnetic detergent scoop, “how-to” page, and hang-bag of diaper detergent on wall

6.   - Outside – Clothes line on fire escape, comfy place to sit out front with baby, small table, big pots for stoop?

7.   - Order and install blackout curtains for nursery

8.   - Remove nursery closet doors, make the space more functional (decide on closet layout, buy pieces, assemble)

9.   - Decide on Montessori nursery layout and furniture

10.  Set-up changing / cloth diaper storage area (4 drawer Malm chest, add drawer pulls, with DIY change pad)

11.  Buy a iPod dock / radio / white noise for nursery

12.  Set up toddler bed, chop off legs, order mattress, 2 mattress pads and 2 sheets, attach mirror and plant-stand-mobile, put up spice rack book shelves, small shelf next to bed (billy height extension shelf)

13.  Move green rug into nursery or Craigslist it, and buy living room rug

14.  Figure out nursing set-up (rocker? couch?) with stool, nursing basket, pump, etc.

15.  Order contrast prints (Nikki McClure), frame in old frames, hang near changing area

16.  Set up “desk” area somewhere for both laptops (maybe on / next to kitchen table or bookcases, or in bedroom), cords organized, iHome, etc.; set it up for post-partum (important phone numbers, books to be read, etc)

17.  Pretty-up the fireplace (put up mantle, add mirrors, etc)

18.  Sell orange chair and order covers for smaller chairs

19.  Set up kitchen for post-partum (mama “wellness center” with teas, tea strainer, mug, honey, lemon water / seltzer, vitamins, easy snacks, ginger candies)

20.  Decide on bedroom layout

21.  Buy / hang curtains in bedroom

22.  Sell /trade Expedit (2x4) on Craigslist for other Expedit (1x5)

23.  Organize both closets in bedroom, add the wire shelfing

24.  Sell big TV in living room and replace with smaller TV in bedroom (my husband is going to throw a hissy fit about this one..)

25.  Figure out our bed situation; purchase Cal King natural latex mattress, buy or Ikea-hack a storage bed, figure out a headboard, buy sheets for the bed, figure out a side-table / shelving solution

26.  Set up bedroom for post-partum / co-sleeping (keep waterproof mattress pad, add a railing) and cloth diapering / nighttime ECing (potty bowl and wet bag, basket of diapers, nightlight, muslins, lanolin, wet wipes), buy and install blackout shades

27.  Craigslist old couch and buy new one from Crate and Barrel (double sleeper!)

28.  Craigslist the 3 coffee table things, buy a tall, skinnier coffee table

29.  Purge closets and clutter, make room for baby stuff

30.  Set up bathroom for cloth diapering (diaper sprayer, bac-out), storage (door storage for baby linens? put up shelves and towel bars) and post-partum (basket on back of toilet with peri bottle, pads, witch hazel, sitz bath stuff, wet pail for mama cloth)

31.  Baby-proof kitchen (cabinet locks), windows and doors (hooks and gates)

32.  Hang pictures in living room, bedrooms and kitchen; keep things kid-level

33.  “Montessori” the kitchen (weaning table – community playthings table / me do it chair - possibly in nursery, cotton placemat(s), helper bench with dish storage and sink, prints at eye level, safe step stool)

34.  Purchase extraneous Montessori practical life items and put away organized for later (clothes line, ikea glasses / puzzle keeper, bamboo trays, Montessori services mat, pouring / food prep, handwashing, housekeeping, etc)

35.  Purchase the first set of Montessori “tools” and literacy / math objects from Etsy

36.  Clean the apartment top-to-bottom, or have professionals really clean it. Includes scrubbing the fridge, replacing air filters, washing floors, cleaning rugs, scrubbing grout, etc.

37.  Replace smoke alarm batteries

38.  Install dimmer switches OR invest in some dimmer lamps

General Tasks To-Do

1.     Start taking maternity pictures (one with with pee stick!)

2.     Borrow some maternity clothes, including nursing bras (2 yoga pants, 2 leggings, 1 maternity jeans, several longer skirts, 4-5 camis, 3 shirts, 2 bellabands, sweaters, coat)

3.     Make baby website

4.     Figure out insurance for pregnancy, homebirth and after birth

5.     Meet with 2-3 midwives, choose Midwife

6.     Meet with 2-3 pediatricians, choose pediatrician

7.     Order / organize tea and herbs for labor, baths, baby baths, etc. (iherb.com)

8.     Decide on pregnancy nutritional plan, with supplements (check with midwife), meal plans, etc.

9.     Order vitamins or supplements

10.  Buy a laminator for self-printed labels

11.  Buy baby book or journal and start filling it out (Nicki McClure’s First 1000 Days, or the Belly Book)

12.  Ask Moms about helping out the first few weeks (5-10 days solo with Nick, then need help for 2-6 weeks, depending on school stuff)

13.  Talk to Nick about schooling type stuff (where will we be living, private preschool / public preK, Montessori Homeschool, Brooklyn Co-op, etc); this sounds super early, but living in NYC you often have to put your child on preschool waiting lists BEFORE BIRTH.  Nuts.

14.  Start research on our neighborhood schools and AP playgroups (Park Slope Playgroup, Brooklyn Babywearing), homeschooling toddlers groups

15.  Teach Lulu to walk properly on a leash (maybe use head-leash-thing?)

16.  Read Good Nights Sleep Cures, and make a plan for newborn sleeplessness

17.  Figure out / start prenatal fitness prep (walks, swimming, yoga, squats, kegels), buy exercise / birth ball, sign up for YMCA

18.  Create meditation and hypno-birth schedule

19.  Research new moms groups

20.  Hire a birth doula and/or photographer and/or placenta encapsulation person – Maybe ask Heather or Rachel?

21.  Plan placenta encapsulation if doing it by myself

22.  Research chiropractor that works with pregnant women and newborns (Dr. Andrea Auerbach in Park Slope comes highly recommended)

23.  Figure out a PPD distress plan, just in case (find local therapist or support group, create a list for symptoms, schedule a 3-week talk with my Mom who is a former NICU and postpartum

nurse)

24.  Find a LLL meeting and attend a few pre-birth; find a local Lactation Consultant pre-birth, just in case (Claudine!)

25.  Figure out who will watch Lulu if we need to go to hospital, pack her a little “go bag” in her area with food, treats and new toy – Cara? Hannah? Tim?

26.  Figure out / obtain paperwork for homebirth birth certificate (ask Rachel for help)

27.  Have 24-28 week ultrasound, find out gender J

28.  Pick name(s)

29.  Ask Godparents J

30.  Finalize and print birth plan(s), get midwife signature on it, create hubby birth plan (what he can do to help, cheat sheet, phone numbers)

31.  Pick local hospital for in-case transfer, pre-register and make extra copies

32.  Take a local hospital tour with Nick

33.  Take a tour of the Brooklyn Birth Center

34.  Create my own “bad mommy” form

35.  Gather all forms for opting-out of birth practices and vaccines (including my own “bad mommy” form), give them to hospital / midwife @ 24 weeks, make extra copies

36.  Get Nick some hypno-birthing info and practice with him

37.  Find emergency childbirth info and give to Nick to read by 30 weeks

38.  Sign Nick up for infant CPR by 30 weeks

39.  Have Nick practice prefolds / flats with pins and snappi

40.  Make hospital bag list, pack hospital bag(s)

41.  Buy DSLR camera, charge battery and clear memory cards

42.  Complete registry

43.  Plan “Sip ‘n See” for a few weeks after birth

44.  Post my diaper stash on MDC, Get feedback!

45.  (After baby showers) Order last of the diaper stash, including small pack of newborn sposies, wipes and detergent

46.  (After baby showers) Order last of baby gear and clothes (minimal!!)

47.  (After baby showers) Return unneeded baby gear

48.  Sterilize bottles and pacis; buy dishwasher basket for pieces

49.  Order, wash, and break-in woven wrap, my beautiful new Neobulle Julie!

50.  Unpack / wash all baby carriers – Moby, Ergo, Maya sling

51.  Buy and stock diaper bag (PPB City Carryall)

52.  Order oral Vitamin K and put together / label baby medicine box; include copy of health info and insurance card; create / laminate dosage chart for common drugs (Tylenol, Advil,

Benedryl)

53.  Buy and write shower “thank yous”

54.  Prep new diapers, wash all diapers

55.  Lanolize small and newborn wool covers

56.  Dye the flour sack flats and wash a few times

57.  Wash and fold all newborn clothes

58.  Sort through “now” stuff and “6+ month” stuff for clothes and diapers

59.  Gather and organize birth supplies (birth linens, cloth pads, icy pads, Dermaplast, and placenta smoothie stuff)

60.  Order birth pool, do a “wet run”

61.  Clean out & tune up car by 30 weeks (oil change, rotate and check tires, replace brakes), add baby items to emergency box, and install carseat, window screens and mirror, have it

inspected

62.  Buy waterproof mattress pad or PEVA shower curtain, air out smell, put under bed linens by 32 weeks

63.  Make a fridge list of easy meal ideas

64.  Turn “mediation” time into “talking to baby time” around 32 weeks

65.  Stock up on dry goods (rice packets, soup, dried fruit, honey, coffee, TP, cereal, dish soap, paper goods, toothpaste, soap, dog food, etc) by around 34 weeks

66.  Make & freeze lots of food: high fiber muffins, oatmeal cookies, pancakes and dinners (lasagna with turkey, potato broccoli cheddar soup, beef stew, mac & cheese with broccoli and ham, shepherds pie, mini spinach feta quiches, taco casseroles, enchiladas, stuffed peppers, chili, fruit for smoothies); try for 1 months’ worth ~20 meals by 34 weeks

67.  Start kick counts once / day by 34 weeks

68.  Get hair cut and highlighted at 37/38 weeks

69.  Make nurses’ / midwife’s treats (rice crispy treats) when labor begins

70.  Write nice cards for our midwife & assistant

71.  Talk to Lorraine about organizing the christening

72.  Turn my wedding dress into a christening gown (seamstress down in Baltimore can do it)

73.  Gather take-out menus

74.  Make a calendar of “easy stuff to do with baby” for ~3 months

Crafty To-Do List

1.     Create Newborn announcements (print and email copies), address / stamp the print ones, create send out list for email ones

2.     Knit baby blanket / booties / hats

3.     Create first 3 or 4 Montessori mobiles (contrast colors, faces – grandparents, me & nick, see-through rattle, and teether)

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#8 of 94 Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 PM

LOL HopefullyMama......that is one intense list. If I were to write out everything I want done before baby mine would be just as long ;)

I currently have a before Thanksgiving project list:

*outdoor christmas lights up (before there's snow)

*prime & paint guest bath

*decorate guest bath

*prime & paint guest room

*prime & paint laundry room

*decorate laundry room

Doesn't seem like much but on top of cooking, cleaning, and homeschooling I'll be thankful if we can get even one room painted :) 

Jesus lover, World's luckiest wife for the last 6 years, and Blessed beyond measure to be mom to three energetic little guys  5, 3.5, & 2  + our new little princess!
#9 of 94 Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 AM

Ughhh, I know.  It's ridiculous, and of course it won't all get done.  And so many of the "big things" are split into tiny, little things.  So each ITEM feels more manageable but it makes the list GIGANTIC.  It's also organized across time, so the earlier stuff should get done earlier, and some of the later stuff is really for near the birth, etc.  

Oh well!  List making makes me happy :)

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#10 of 94 Old 10-28-2013, 06:51 AM

HopefullyMama, which Nikki McClure prints did you get? A couple months ago I bought "Trust" (a pregnant mama by the ocean) and "Examine the Food Chain" (a breastfeeding dyad with a mama who looks oddly like me) and hung them up by our stairs so I can see them every day to remind me of my goals for nursing school ... now they've taken on a whole new meaning.

#11 of 94 Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM

Johanna - I actually decided to get a "build your own" 10-pack of her cards, and mat / frame those in 5x7 frames.  It was much more affordable that way (like, $3 each), and I can switch them out when I get bored of them.  I'm trying to remember which ones I got, but there were quite a few....definitely the nursing mama, the pregnancy ones, one with a child and adult sleeping outside, the skateboarding one (for my husband), the baking one, the sewing one, one where it's looking out a window.....just all the ones that I loved :) Her work is so incredible.

My plan is to frame 3 of them and hang them by the changing table; they are high contrast, but still "real" looking, and are just gorgeous, so I think a new baby all the way through toddler would love to stare at them / talk about them.  I'll switch them out every so often.

#12 of 94 Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 AM

Ok so I just looked on her website, and I think I bought:

Surrender

Breathe

Inside

Treasure

Rely

Extend

Examine the food chain

Grow

Ditch the car

Persist

Steady

#13 of 94 Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMama View Post

Ok so I just looked on her website, and I think I bought:

Surrender

Breathe

Inside

Treasure

Rely

Extend

Examine the food chain

Grow

Ditch the car

Persist

Steady

Love it! I discovered "Surrender" after I bought the other two. :stillheart

#14 of 94 Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM

We have so much to do, but I'm pleased to say we can already cross one thing off the list (but I'm going to include it just so I can cross it out):

1. Buy EVERYthing (this is our first baby)

2. Clean the garage

3. Clean the basement (it's partially finished and will become our guest room because our current guest room will be baby's room.  It's a disaster and a little stinky so that project will take a couple of weekends.)

4. Declutter and organize family room

5. Attach hardware to kitchen cabinets and drawers

6. Declutter and organize office so its useable

7. Paint and decorate nursery

8. Redo half bathroom

It doesn't look like a huge list, but it is when I think about what each thing entails.  My husband is kind of a pack rat and doesn't understand that not every inch of every surface or every blank space in the perimeter of a room needs to be filled with something.  He's getting better, but now that baby is coming, we seriously have to cut down on the non-baby-friendly clutter that's everywhere.

#15 of 94 Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMama View Post

Ughhh, I know.  It's ridiculous, and of course it won't all get done.  And so many of the "big things" are split into tiny, little things.  So each ITEM feels more manageable but it makes the list GIGANTIC.  It's also organized across time, so the earlier stuff should get done earlier, and some of the later stuff is really for near the birth, etc.  

Oh well!  List making makes me happy :)

Oh My HopefullyMama-- I WAS you for my last pregnancy. And it makes my brain feel peaceful to have lists and organization too. People thought I was nuts, but it's how I felt comfortable! This time I haven't made lists at all, and it feels weird!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#16 of 94 Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 PM

I am loving this thread!  My list has grown since reading what everyone else is up to.  Not that I have more to do really, I'm just getting it all written down. 

To the new mamas out there, don't get to overwhlemed.  New babies only really need diapers and boobs to be happy and healthy. ;-)

upsidedown.gif Charlie~ partners.gif Married to my best friendheartbeat.gif 5/11 slingboy.gif Mama to my Teddy Bear Rainbow.gif 7/12  pos.gif Due with #2 stork-suprise.gif 6/14
#17 of 94 Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 PM

I typed out a big to-do list the other day, and then got busy, interrupted a few times, and never did post it! Now, I can't recall most of what was on it.

There are several big house related projects that we will choose to try to finish before babe arrives, but mostly just because it gives us a deadline of sorts! Pave the driveway, finish the basement hall flooring & order/install the 7 doors for the basement, possibly reno/update the kitchen, move some doors/walls for the kids closets so they are more functional, build a treehouse/fort in the yard, and turn the 2nd floor balcony into a sun room/gym, are all on the list of things to do. We'll probably tackle 2 or 3 of them before mid-May.

Baby related tasks are to get dresser(s) to store 2 kids worth of clothes in DD's room (her current dresser, a hand me down, while pretty, is not terribly functional), put the sides back on the crib, though this can wait till babe is 6mth or so, and get out the baby-boxes from the attic - diapers, clothes. Find where I've stashed things in the attic, basement or closets -- baby bath tub, swing, bassinet etc. Buy babe a couple Radian car seats (one for each vehicle). Figure out what I might have sold or given away that actually does need to be replaced.

~SynEpona~
#18 of 94 Old 10-30-2013, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My last pregnancy nesting obsession was buying even more houseplants to make our indoor air even cleaner. :lol I counted over the summer and we have like 67 or something at this point. It's the first thing everyone comments on when they come over - "Look at all of the beautiful plants! It's so bright and alive in here!" And that's exactly how I feel about this space. They say just gazing at a houseplant makes you feel calm and clearheaded and I swear it's true.

Other than that, we need to move. :rotflmaoSeriously, we're a family of six (soon to be seven) with two bedrooms. It's a bit tight to say the least. I don't know how I feel about making the basement into a bedroom - though it would give us A LOT more space. It's half finished - one half is unfinished and is used for storage and extra fridge/freezer and the other half is "finished" but could use some work. The carpet is old and ugly and the walls and ceiling are textured which just accumulates dust and cobwebs - so gross. We end up with A LOT of BIG, creepy spiders in the winter down here and the thought of any of my children sleeping down here makes me feel terrible. And no way am I sleeping down here. :lol

My desktop is down here and we store some food down here along with knitting stuff and homeschool supplies. I've envisioned the space being a sort of school/project room with a good sized table for our cutting mat and a smaller table for our sewing machine along with a table for doing other projects. It would be nice to have a separate space where we could all lay out whatever projects we were working on without having to clean it all up before dinner just so that we had some place to eat. And then I think of a ping-pong table and how it would keep the kids occupied during the really cold months. But there's no room for all of that...

DH is SUCH a procrastinator. It annoys me to no end. I really would love to move and be all settled in by June but I'm not holding my breath.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#19 of 94 Old 10-30-2013, 03:23 PM

I have been avoiding this thread for fear of articulating exactly how much I need to get done and don't want to do! I'll try to keep it simple so I don't overwhelm my nausea and run off to the bathroom...

Home Stuff:

Put new drawer pulls on bedroom dressers (24 pulls and 48 screws)

Buy and mount tv above bedroom dresser (waiting for Black Friday sale)

Buy Etsy painting for above the bed

Buy a new King size materess and frame (ugh)

Force DH to finally purge his closet and DS's closet to make room for baby clothes

Find my maternity clothes and storage that seems to be lost :(

Buy new wireless modem, finish setting up new computer, and buy DS art programs for after school computer time

Complete Prenatal yoga every night starting in 2nd Trimester

Buy a super soft runner rug for the hallway (I keep imagining a little baby crawling down the hallway!)

Make Christmas cards

Buy everyone Christmas presents

Host DH's parents when they come to visit in February

Annoucements:

Tell DH's parents I am pregnant

Tell my boss

Tell my grandmothers

Tell DS

Tell Facebook

Not as much as I thought, but I feel like I am missing so many things :eyesroll

surf.gif31 year-old mom with an endlessly active five-year-old boy jog.gif (6/3/08)  waterbirth.jpg  delayedvax.gif

Expecting a baby girlbabyf.gif with my husband and amazing step-dad to DS, June 2014.  stork-girl.gif 

#20 of 94 Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemae View Post

To the new mamas out there, don't get to overwhlemed.  New babies only really need diapers and boobs to be happy and healthy. ;-)

So true!  We went shopping today, and I was walking down the babyish toys with my 23 month old daughter, and asked "Do you think there's anything here we need for new baby?" And she paused for a second and said "uhhhh beeeta milk?" (what she calls mama milk, since I always tell her she can have "a bit")

#21 of 94 Old 11-12-2013, 06:02 PM

Oh golly - we're installing our kitchen cabintry today.

When I say 'we', I mean DH :) He's just been so amazing this last two weeks, my absolute hero. I can't believe we're doing this remodel right now - if this baby carries to full term we're going to look back on these early weeks and say, "WHAT WERE WE THINKING?" haha!

Our house has been a mess, but it's slowly slowly starting to get back to normal..

How is everyone else's list coming along?

[Clare] Wife to an amazing man. Expecting our first little nugget babyf.gifLove my pooch and DIYing our home.
#22 of 94 Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM

I've been pretty unproductive..the only thing I've managed to do is online shopping (creating baby wishlists and researching diapering/car seats..etc). I haven't spent a dime yet.

belly.gifwith our first due Early June! It's a Boy!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 3rdtri.gif  39 40

#23 of 94 Old 11-14-2013, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Now that I've had a chance to see our baby's heartbeat, I finally feel ready to start thinking about this. This is just a start (especially the household stuff). I know I will add more later.

Repeating
Take vitamins/supplements/medicines daily
Drink water daily
Do kegels daily
Listen to Hypnobabies affirmations daily
Walk daily
Go to chiropractor every week
Take belly pictures at least once a month
Do prenatal yoga at least once a week starting in 2nd trimester
Do water aerobics 1-2 times/week starting in 2nd or 3rd trimester
Drink pregnancy tea daily starting in 2nd trimester
Practice Hypnobabies daily starting at beginning of 3rd trimester
GBS Prevention Protocol starting 2 weeks before test, continue prevention techniques until birth
Perineal Massage 2-3 times/week starting around 36 weeks
Take EPO starting around 37 weeks

Pregnancy- and Baby-Related
Find and talk with lactation consultants/specialists to figure out what happened with boys and a plan of attack for this time
Decide who to have encapsulate placenta this time and make arrangements
Make list of people to call/email to notify after birth
Schedule pregnancy photo session
Make Freezer Meals
Set up sign-up list for people to bring meals after birth
Pack diaper bag with stuff for new baby
Fill nursing box and mobile diaper changing station
Refine list of people to call/email after birth
Pack hospital bag with emergency and non-emergency birth plans by 37 weeks
Wash all new diapers, covers, wipes, and put away; lanolize wool diaper covers
Wash baby carriers (Beco and Mei Tai at the very least)
Wash and organize baby clothes
Wash bed linens and blankets, double make bed with shower curtain in between
Wet & freeze sanitary pads
Collect all birth supplies and accessories - print list for birth attendants of where everything is
Do belly cast
Have belly henna applied
Have professional pregnancy pictures taken

Discuss details for birth photography
Make firm plans with grandmas and volunteer doula/child-minder
Install car seats and have them inspected by car seat tech
Test birth pool and related accessories
Get a massage at beginning of second trimester, beginning of third trimester, and one week before due date
Get a pedicure at 39-40 weeks
Make mobile to go above changing table
Plan “Sip and See” Party for after baby arrives
Dye onesies and cut out appliques for onesie decorating at Sip and See

Household-Related and Miscellaneous
Clean and reorganize office to make room for folding bed.
Get boxes and junk out of office; Clean off desk; Bring up baby accoutrements from basement into office
Get maternity clothes out of storage; wash and organize; hang in office closet
Repair or replace broken dresser; Clean and organize bedroom and closet
Wash and sort boys' clothes so that only current sizes and season are out; clearly label the rest and put it in storage
Majorly reorganize kitchen; bring up stuff we like from basement; get rid of stuff we don't like
Clean and reorganize toy room; decide whether to transition it into bedroom for boys
Declutter living room - especially coat hooks and wardrobe
Deep clean bathroom and reorganize laundry area (hang shelving?)
Shampoo carpets
Clean out and reorganize garage and breezeway/back porch
Plan and make freezer meals; Stock pantry with staples and ingredients for easy meals
Decide where to put pool for birth; rearrange room to make space for pool
Plan home school schedule out as much as possible for next year; Write first grade history curriculum

To Buy
Vitamins, Supplements, and Herbs
Cloth Diapers and accessories
Freezer Meal Ingredients and Pantry Food
Pad for changing table
Gift(s) for baby from boys, Gift(s) for boys from baby, Gifts for midwives
Supplies for onesie dying/decorating and Sip N See; supplies for mobile
Car Seats - one for baby and one for toddler
Art print for behind changing table
Baby Lambskin

Done
In Progress
Postponing/Not Doing

@HopefullyMama - We're planning a Sip and See, too! How cool orngbiggrin.gif

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#24 of 94 Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM

@Sihaya  Are you from the South???  Most people I tell about "sip n see"s have NO CLUE what I mean :rotflmaoBut it seems like such a nice way to have a low-key "event" without too much hassle, and allow people to come and go as they see fit.  But everyone gets to see the baby on one day, and therefore I only have to be decently dressed one day!  

#25 of 94 Old 11-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I was born in Texas, but otherwise, not so much. My parents and extended family are all from Michigan and I've lived here for 27 years now, so I can't really claim Texan heritage! lol.gif I hate to admit that I saw the idea on Pinterest and love it for all the reasons you said. Also because we will not be finding out the gender, so it gives an opportunity for people to give gifts after we know the gender (if they want, no obligation), which a baby shower does not. Finally, people will be more likely to come to a Sip and See for a third child than they would a baby shower and I don't like the idea of only celebrating the first couple of kids.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#26 of 94 Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 AM

I love the idea of a "sip n see!" In our very mormon culture, the equivalent is the baby blessing and get-together afterwards. But since I'm not mormon, I've never really been able to show off the baby. Time to plan one!

I've decided to add a couple of things to my to-do list.

A detailed analysis of the housework that needs to be done on a daily basis so I can delegate it after the baby is born. I refuse to do housework the morning after I have this baby. I'm all about "doing the month" this time.

A collection of at least 30 easy, allergen-free meals--most of which are freezer friendly or at least daddy-friendly. I hope to have a ton of food in the freezer so I don't have to cook for a while, and I'm tired of spending a couple of hours on dinner every night, so I obviously need to simplify.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#27 of 94 Old 12-19-2013, 04:30 PM

I'm finally getting to the point where I can think about being productive without wanting to cry. Thankfully, our to-do list is pretty short, but I'm sure I'll add to it in the final month of nesting. Right now, all I need to do is:
1. Get infant carseat (we lugged our last one to Peru and then left it there since DS was ready for a booster by the time we got back.)
2. Pull cloth diapers out of storage
3. Get a few more wool diaper covers
4. Get a package of newborn sposies for the first few weeks
5. Get birth supplies I don't already have (chux pads, calendula, pads, etc)
6. Make freezer meals- I'm so with you Dandy Lion- I will not be cooking or cleaning right after birth this time!

I think that's it! Not too bad...

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#28 of 94 Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 PM

I love lists, so I'm sure I'll make a list at some point, but since I already have two young kids that keep me busy and absolutely no pregnancy symptoms aside from an expanding belly, I have a hard time even remembering I'm pregnant most days. Last time I felt the need to clean our entire house, practically with a toothbrush, at around 5 months, so I'm just waiting for the nesting to kick in. Right now I feel totally ready, though I do need to knit something for our little guy since I made my first son furry bear paw slippers and my daughter a cupcake beanie before they were born.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
#29 of 94 Old 12-28-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

I typed out a big to-do list the other day, and then got busy, interrupted a few times, and never did post it! Now, I can't recall most of what was on it.

There are several big house related projects that we will choose to try to finish before babe arrives, but mostly just because it gives us a deadline of sorts! Pave the driveway, finish the basement hall flooring & order/install the 7 doors for the basement, possibly reno/update the kitchen, move some doors/walls for the kids closets so they are more functional, build a treehouse/fort in the yard, and turn the 2nd floor balcony into a sun room/gym, are all on the list of things to do. We'll probably tackle 2 or 3 of them before mid-May.

Baby related tasks are to get dresser(s) to store 2 kids worth of clothes in DD's room (her current dresser, a hand me down, while pretty, is not terribly functional), put the sides back on the crib, though this can wait till babe is 6mth or so, and get out the baby-boxes from the attic - diapers, clothes. Find where I've stashed things in the attic, basement or closets -- baby bath tub, swing, bassinet etc. Buy babe a couple Radian car seats (one for each vehicle). Figure out what I might have sold or given away that actually does need to be replaced.

We've sort of come to the conclusion that we'd rather move than do all the things that 'need' doing here .... so the new to-do list is "pack, purge, prepare" to list the house!

I've found most of the baby stuff, and the only thing that seems to need to be actually purchased aside from carseats is a change table/dresser of some sort. And, to go with the carseats ... I want to replace the 2nd row bucket seats in my vehicle with a bench seat. This is possible ... just trying to find only the bench seat in the right upholstery is proving challenging -- it's no longer made so it's going to come from an auto wrecker and they all seem to be selling the complete set of seats for the vehicle, which we don't need.

~SynEpona~
#30 of 94 Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 AM

We have a basement that we've promised to finally finish in time for baby's arrival, but I'd kind of rather move instead, too!

Other than that, I don't do much as far as "preparing" via buying. I got rid of my baby clothes (kicks self), so I'll need to peruse local used sites for that. I do always get a moses basket, since I cosleep and don't have a need for something more permanent. They're handy for when baby is sleeping and you want to keep them close by. I have baby carriers already, and a rocking chair.

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Basket-Moses-Bedding-Espresso/dp/B0049U5UCU/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1387475318&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=moses+basket (this, w/ the pink bedding. <3)

http://www.amazon.com/Rocking-Moses-Basket-Stand-Expresso/dp/B001ENY02G/ref=pd_sim_ba_1

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page