EC/ diaper free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have just started reading the diaper free baby book and am planning doing this with my first. I was just wondering if anyone else has or is planning on doing EC and what your experience with it is. Thanks

#2 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm reading the "Infant Potty Training" book - I don't think we'll be able to realistically do EC full-time, but we'll definitely be incorporating lots of things from it into our routine.

#3 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I am not wanting to put to much pressure on ourselves so if we can mostly just pay attention and do it when we can that seems best. I had a sister in law that tried EC and she said it was super stressful for her, but she was really hard on herself with "misses". So if I can be more relaxed I think it will work for us.

#4 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 03:41 PM

I didn't even know what EC-ing was until I already had my second when I learned about it from Blossom's book. I think the idea of it is really interesting. However, with 2 other young kids, sadly, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to give this new one the attention needed to make it work. If this were my first however, I'd definitely be tempted to try it.

However, I will say that we cloth diapered and I think that made it pretty easy to potty train the more standard way at a young age. So far we've managed to get both of our kids reliably wearing normal undies by their second birthday. It basically took a week of them being naked to figure it out.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
#5 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did it with my first child, but not any others.  It's just not realistic to drop everything every 15 minutes or so and run the kid to the potty.  My other kids need me too.  Plus, the EC kid ALWAYS had to pee at the store when I was all the way on the other side from the bathroom and I'd have a panic attack trying to get the kid there in time.  It was a little easier around 9 months or so when they could sign to me and we were at home.  But seriously, for me....it was a first kid kind of thing.   I've diapered all the rest of my kids (pg with #5).  The last two kids have decided to completely potty train themselves right after turning 2.  They just refused diapers and wanted to wear underwear.  And we cloth diapered.  So it's not much of a big deal anyway for us to just do diapers.  The convenience is worth it to me.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#6 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 04:47 PM

I am going to try EC! But I'm going to do it casually... have a little potty by the changing table and potty before changing, after feeds..based on timing. I'm not going to stress it. He'll be wearing a cloth diaper, or a prefold with prefold belt, or laying down on a prefold... I'd love to really be able to catch poo's at least especially once he starts eating solids

belly.gifwith our first due Early June! It's a Boy!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 3rdtri.gif  39 40

#7 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 PM

We started part time at around 4 months I think it was. I just randomly decided to try to potty her one day and she went. And then the next time she did too. And the next time. Then we had a few misses, but I was hooked! My husband thought I was nuts, but then the first time he took her, she pottied too!. We mostly just did it at diaper changes, especially before/after naps and bed, until she was mobile. Once she was crawling, we got a portable potty that sat in our living room (we have no carpet in the house), and she would crawl, or later walk over to it, and let me know she had to go. Before that, she also used a sign for potty. We didn't stress about catching everything, and still wore cloth almost all the time. But I did notice that when she was naked at home, we caught probably 80% of potties. AND she started pooping reliably first thing after waking every morning, so I was able to not change any poopy diapers for months. That was worth it alone!  She ended up completely full potty trained day, panties only (unless we're going somewhere without a quick access washroom) by just after her second birthday I think it was, and totally into panties at night for about 6 weeks now? Hasn't ever had a 'real' accident with either. (She peed her pants once while trying to pull her pants down, and couldn't get them down fast enough). 

We'll probably do something similar with this babe. Cloth is the plan, but I'll start trying to potty him at regular times and using the sign, and see where it takes us. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#8 of 14 Old 05-24-2014, 02:04 PM

My approach was like @onetwoten's. We used cloth diapers but would offer the potty too. It became one more thing to try with a fussy baby. 

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#9 of 14 Old 05-24-2014, 06:12 PM

I did it with my first, and not really with my second.

I always had a little potty around and the boys got the concept of it really early. We mostly did cloth but I always sat them on the potty at changing times or if they were grunting. Both were out of diapers day and night by 2.

I found it pretty impossible to EC in the city. I think in certain countries it's acceptable to pee a kid anywhere but most people find it strange to pee your baby on the side of the street in a big city, go figure :Sheepish 

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#10 of 14 Old 05-24-2014, 07:48 PM

We didn't do EC necessarily, but when DS was about 16 months we were living in Peru and because it was so hot, he spent a lot of time naked. Within 6 weeks he was completely potty trained. He had two poo accidents during that learning period and many more pee accidents, but we had linoleum floors that were easy to clean. It did help that we spent a lot of time outdoors and that public urination is much more accepted there (for boys at least.)

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#11 of 14 Old 05-24-2014, 08:13 PM

I think cloth diapers (cotton prefolds) really help teach them what is happening when they "go". I never did EC, but started naked time and sitting on the potty after they started walking. All of mine were day/night trained from 18 mo to 22 mos.
#12 of 14 Old 05-25-2014, 06:17 PM

I did it with my first in combination with cloth prefold diapers. I still used disposables at night after the first few nights of him waking up in a pool of pee! I am into sleeping as much as possible at night, not changing diapers! Anyway, the EC thing was cool especially after he started eating and only pooped once a day, virtually no poppy diapers. But my son hit 1 year and literally would not sit on the potty. Not.at.all. took him 6 months to sit again and then he was toilet trained by 2. So ec is not necessarily the ticket to super early toilet training but it helps! And like the others said, we totally fell off the boat with baby #2. Haha!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#13 of 14 Old 05-25-2014, 08:16 PM

I did a lot of disposables too, esp with 2 & 3, and always for night time.
#14 of 14 Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I am looking forward to trying it our when the little one comes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page