Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Water Mama
  • 1 Post By Dandy Lion

#1 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies! We're in our last weeks here :)  Does anyone have recommendations/tips/suggestions for keeping energy levels high(ish), positive vibes, happy mommy mojo, and some work ethic?  I need to work a few more weeks up to my due date and I cannot get myself up and going.  I really just want to stay home to nest and rest but that's not the option I've allowed for myself.  I'd really like to keep all my maternity leave for AFTER baby.  Any working moms go through this before? Or pregnant ladies going through this now?  I'd really appreciate any feedback :)

THANKS!

#2 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It can be hard, especially if you're really feeling the pregnancy physcally... 

I definitely feel better when I keep active - lots of protein and healthy fats keep my energy up... so do the millions of vitamins and supplements I take. lol.

I know I've been having a bit of coffee (check with your doc/midwife... it's generally considered okay to have SOME coffee, especially this late in the game) when I really need to push through something in the last week or two (but I also don't drink the stuff at ALL when I don't need that push...) - I usually go for espresso-based drinks (which usually actually have less caffeine than brewed coffee), so it's an instant boost that also wears off fairly quickly.

As for work ethic, I have no advice... I'm currently procrastinating on the internet instead of doing the things I should be doing... ;)

#3 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 02:39 PM

I am still working for the next two weeks. Was planning on working an additional half week after that, but am really starting to feel the physical pain of this pregnancy, so might not do that anymore. I would just suggest getting as much sleep as you possibly can! I try to sleep 9 hours a night and take a nap after work if possible. DH lets me sleep-in on the weekends, which is only an extra 30 minutes or so, but it helps. Also, I try to take my lunch breaks outside in the sun, if weather permits. Taking my vitamins twice a day and lots and lots of water! Stretch a little each morning and night if you can remember, and if possible get a foot massage once a week or more often if you can afford it or your partner is willing :)

BennyPai likes this.

surf.gif31 year-old mom with an endlessly active five-year-old boy jog.gif (6/3/08)  waterbirth.jpg  delayedvax.gif

Expecting a baby girlbabyf.gif with my husband and amazing step-dad to DS, June 2014.  stork-girl.gif 

#4 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 02:43 PM

Also, just focus on a few days at a time. I am obsessed with looking at my calendar and checking-off things to do at work and at home. Don't look too far ahead if you are struggling to get through the last few weeks at work. I agree with @PrimalMom, a little caffeine could help you finish a project at work when you are dragging. I have been getting nauseous from espresso, though, so I try to do green tea instead.

surf.gif31 year-old mom with an endlessly active five-year-old boy jog.gif (6/3/08)  waterbirth.jpg  delayedvax.gif

Expecting a baby girlbabyf.gif with my husband and amazing step-dad to DS, June 2014.  stork-girl.gif 

#5 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Make a list of the stuff you want to get done before the baby is born, and then cross off half of it. Realistic expectations are important. I spent the past few days in total nesting mode, and it was rough, but now I'm feeling so much better! Just knowing you'll be glad you did it might help more than you think.

BennyPai likes this.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#6 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If it's a question of keeping your maternity leave, I remember not fully understanding short term disability when I had my first. It seems like it doesn't kick in for a few weeks, but then can last longer than I expected, and didn't effect my maternity time at all-just got a couple of extra weeks. Just need to get a note from your dr /midwife.
#7 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I hear ya.  I am working until 37 weeks and, this time of year, my job is quite physical.  I will be moving, sorting and reshelving about 3,000 books this week and another 3k next week.  Luckily, I still have a lot of energy (somehow).  I eat as healthy as possible and try to take it easy during the week.  I weekend warrior each weekend, but now that I see a very limited amount of time, I am pushing myself on the weekdays and getting a bit more tired.  So, I would say don't push yourself too much and try to balance your day with sitting/moving so the workload is consistent.  I'm not sure if that is something your job entails, but I find it keeps me from crashing too much when I get home.  Second, ask for help.  I have a volunteer coming to help me next week at work.  She may be what helps me from going into labor early!  At home, my husband takes up a lot of slack and there are times I say, "I'm done for tonight" and sit on the couch.  That being said, it is getting harder and harder to do some of the little things and I have been known to leave things I drop (ice, pens, paper, etc.) right where I drop them.  I'm like a walking litter bug, but hey I do what I can to get by, 

#8 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 07:40 PM

I was going to start a thread just like this! My energy is still high and I feel great physically, but I'm so done with work. I just want to putter around my house- cook meals for the freezer, take care of some gardening tasks, basically just nest. I'll probably be working up until my due date, but ugh...it's so hard to concentrate and stay productive!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#9 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 PM

I worked until the day before I had my first. Thankfully, I went into labor in the middle of the night, not at work. I don't really have any advice. I was so excited for him to be born, I was mostly just using work as a way of killing time. I thought if I stayed home, I'd go crazy waiting for something to happen, so I would have kept going even if he'd been late, but he was 1 day early. This probably isn't true for everyone, but my other reason for going to work was that I feel like I got away with a lot. No one really expects much from the giant, super-pregnant woman.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page