Mother Cordial - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2014, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mother Cordial

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience with mothers cordial or mothers elixir? My midwife recommended it to me to tone my uterus and prep me for labour it is supposed to help have an easier labour as well. I am someone who thinks my body will give birth when my baby is ready. However I do drink red raspberry leaf tea and I know it is good for the uterus.

the main ingredient that I am worried about is the black cohosh as I thought this was an inducer (which I don't want). But my midwife said that mothers cordial is not to induce just prep for labour. i would really love any input anyone has. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I didn't do anything like that with #1 , just EPO and RRL infusions. He was born 10 days past his due date, but the labor was relatively quick and easy for a first baby.

The second time, I tried the Gentle Birth Formula from Mountain Meadow Herbs (without RRL). In less than a week, I was having high blood pressure problems (mine is usually low), so my midwife encouraged me to stop taking it. As soon as I did, my blood pressure went back to normal.

There are warnings on the bottle both about not taking if you have high or low blood pressure (my bad!) and about it being known to cause issues with postpartum hemorrhage. It has 10 ingredients, which is a lot compared to other labor prep tinctures (no black cohosh, though), and we believe it was the blue cohosh that caused the blood pressure issues for me. You can order it without blue cohosh if desired.

This time, my midwife encouraged me to try Nature's Sunshine 5-W formula (these are pills instead of a tincture). It has just 5 ingredients (including black cohosh). I've been taking it for about a week now with no negative side effects.

It's up to you to decide what you feel comfortable with. I have medical issues this time that I was not aware of the past two times that are making me more willing to encourage my body and baby to get things going earlier. Otherwise, I would just be drinking my RRL infusions, taking EPO, and sitting tight.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 06-10-2014, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I am going to talk to my midwife more about it tomorrow and then decide. I am 40 weeks today!!! so I am ready for baby to come whenever it wants now.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've not tried that specific one, though I have tried both the 5w as well as the gentle birth one before. The only effect I had was that it amped up my Braxton hicks. Essentially toning the uterus is just a fancy way of saying it causes it to cramp a little harder. they did not appear to affect when I went into labor though. 2 births using 5 w were at 39 weeks 1 day, and 40 weeks 4 days. Back to back births, same regimen. Gentle birth formula birth was at 39 weeks 2 days. My birth a few days ago at 39 weeks 4 days, I took neither, just 1000 mg twice a day of borage oil orally. Previous pgs I took evening primrose oil orally. I skipped that this time.

Anyway, my experience is that those products may help the efficiency of your contractions, but not cause labor to begin. Although it is possible to take therapeutic amounts that could cause labor to begin. These products and dosages are not intended for that though.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:19 PM

I've been taking evening primrose oil orally since 36w. I've increased from 1/day at 36 weeks, to 4/day this last week- my 39th week.
I've also been taking blue vervain due to a history of hemorrhage after birth as my midwife says it completely eliminates the bleeding problem (anyone use it before?)
I drink third trimester tea / red rasp leaf tea regularly. Other than that- no herbs.
I took the mountain herbs blend in 2005 with my second pregnancy. I can't say if there is any correlation, but it was my shortest, easiest birth, and I delivered 4 days before my edd. I say I can't comment on the cause, because so many factors will determine how a labor goes, and when it happens. Baby just has to release those hormones & be ready. With any herbs you are taking, I think baby will come when ready. And that's what we want, right? If baby isn't in position, and your body isn't ready- labor can be long and tiring! Best to hope to steadily hear up for it. Start nipple stimulation, time on exercise ball, get extra sleep, make love... These have helped me to dilate and efface to 4cm 50% effaced over the last two weeks. I believe these things have helped, anyway. It may just be because it's baby #4 - idk. I wish you the best birth :-)
Old 06-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I've used blue vervain, but not during a viable pregnancy. I've used it twice to bring on miscarriage after it had been confirmed by ultrasound that the baby was gone. Once it worked and once it did not, but considering I used it to help complete the process of miscarriage, I would not be comfortable using it in any way, shape, or form during a healthy pregnancy. Not that it isn't safe, just that it has very strong associations for me that I would not be able to get past.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)

User Tag List