Kidney Infection in my 7-week old Levi - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-14-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kidney Infection in my 7-week old Levi

It's been awhile since I've been on here. My Levi developed a fever on Wednesday night. He was fine all day and then got fussy in the evening. I put him in his bouncer with the vibrator on and that calmed him down. I picked him up a half hour later and he felt really warm. I took his temp and he was 101.7. We rushed him to the ER at the children's hospital 25 minutes away from us and he was 103 by the time we got there.

Our hospital room flooded with 12-15 people and I started freaking out, thinking it was a real emergency and they had called an emergency code of some sort. I was crying and my husband pointed out that only one person was wearing a white coat, and two were wearing nurses scrubs--the rest were students/residents etc in training. Still, they were very concerned about his temperature and gave him a tylenol suppository right away, and attempted to start an IV. It took 7 tries for them to get one going. They drew blood and catherized him to get a urine sample. I was very nervous about the catherization because I thought it might damage his foreskin. I asked them to let me try to get him to pee in a cup since we EC at home--they agreed, but Levi wouldn't go--he was much too upset. I tried to nurse him, but he was too upset to latch on too. Holding him and frequently dipping the pacifier in sugary syrup was the only thing that would calm him down. They wanted to do a spinal tap to test for meningitis. at first we asked if we could wait for the other test results first, but the doctor explained that the results would take several hours, and up to several days to come in, and that if he had meningitis at this young age, each hour mattered, as sepsis takes over small bodies quickly. We consented and I sobbed in the hallway hearing his screams. They made us leave for that because they needed a sterile field. They also did a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia.

Most of the blood work came back quickly, and looked good. However, there was a lot of infection in his urine. He got an ultrasound of his bladder and kidneys and there was sign of some infection in his left kidney.

They kept us in the hospital for 3 nights while they continued to see if anything was growing on cultures of his blood, spinal fluid and urine. His urine was the only one that grew cultures, and once they were able to identify the strain of bacteria that was infecting him, they sent him home with the best antibiotics.

The kidney doctor visited us in the hospital and said we need to bring Levi back on aug 6th for a test that will determine if his urine flows back to his kidneys once it has already been in his bladder. He said there is about a 30% chance of this--and it is something he would most likely outgrow within 5yrs, but would need to continually be on a low dose of antibiotics to prevent infection until he outgrows it--if he even has this condition.

all of the pediatricians that visited us acted like he had this infection because he isn't circumcised. The kidney doctor said it could hypothetically increase his odds, but wouldn"t be the sole cause.

I know this isnt something you other mamas are likely to know much about, but let me know if you have any thoughts. Do you think that infant potty training could increase or decrease the chances of kidney/urinary infections. My initial thought is that it would decrease it, since he wouldn't be sitting in as many wet diapers, but I wonder if him holding his urine until I get him on the potty would make it worse. He does seem to hold it during the night until I nurse him and set him on the potty, but goes in his diaper all dayas well as on the potty.

also, I cloth diaper. Would this increase/decrease his chances? I would think decrease because he's more uncomfortable being wet, and lets me know quicker. I do change his diaper constantly--I check him before/after each feeding--which are like ever 1.5hrs and many times in between feedings. I do use detergent and bleach on my diapers--with extra hot water and extra rinses.

any thoughts? I am posting this in the intact-care section as well.

hang.gifHappy wife and mommy to Levi (5/23/14)
#2 of 14 Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hugs mrs Gail! That is awful. What a terrible experience for you and little Levi. Thinking of you both. As far as your questions re: the kidney infx with intact-ness vs ec. I agree, I don't think that an uncircumcised penis could cause that infection at all. But I have read about EC'ing and asked our ped about it when I had our daughter 2 years ago bc I was considering that. The ped (and I know maybe other mamas may disagree) cited concerns about infections for the reason you mentioned, that small babies cannot hold their pee and because small infants are so well hydrated their bladders can easily overfill & possibly reflux back into the kidney & increase risk of kidney problems & infection. I also don't think it's your cloth diapers either.... I don't want this to make you feel worse, but since you asked I wanted to be honest.... Hope that he recovers quickly & you too. Hugs
#3 of 14 Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks sierramtngirl. I appreciate your insight.

I took him to the pediatrician today and she said she believes the upcoming test will show a direct cause of his infection. She said its rare for boys to just randomly get an infection without something being a bit off on the inside. She said it has nothing to do with being uncircumcised and told me that if I had asked any of the peds that told me otherwise for evidence, they would not have been able to come up with any. She said there are entire countries (she named Mexico and parts of Africa) where nobody circumcises, and their rates of kidney infections in boys are the same as ours in the US where many/most still circumcise.

I did tell her that I am doing elimination communication. She didn't have anything to say about that. I don't think he's really holding it because of ECing...he wakes up dry from naps, but does wet himself continually all day--unless I take him to the potty. He seriously doesn't keep himself dry for 30mins during the day. I'm going to try to take him to the potty more often just in case he is trying to hold it.

I researched cloth diapers and kidney infections and only found 2 medical journals. One found a decrease with cloth diapers and increase in super-absorbent-disposible diapers (compared to cheapie disposibles) , and another found no difference. I'm not worried about the cloth diapers any more.

Will update once he has his testing mid-august

#4 of 14 Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Hugs and hopefully things get better soon. Sounds like your ped is wonderful.
#5 of 14 Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First, HUGS!!! Poor Levi : ( poor mommy : (

I don't know about being uncircumcised causing a bladder infection but I don't think CDing it ECing would increase the chance of UTIs or kidney infections. If they think he has kidney reflux that would have nothing to do with how or when he goes potty or being uncircumcised. That is something he would just have.

My middle girl was in the NICU/PICU FOR 9 weeks and hearing your NB crying during needle sticks is the worst thing ever, in the whole damn world.

Hopefully it was a 1 time random thing and thank God it wasnt meningitis.
#6 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big hug! What a scary thing to go through, you and your husband did such a great job asking the right questions in a scary situation. Unfortunately I do not have advise on possible causes it might just be one of those things that just happen. I just wanted to send you a hug, I know how exhausting and scary it can be to go through not knowing exactly what is wrong with your little one.
#7 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hope he feels better soon MrsGail!
#8 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope things are going better... a friend of mine has a one year old with kidney reflux, it's definitely not anything you caused or can cause! And hopefully it's not even reflux but just a one time thing that gets better soon. Keep us posted.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#9 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the sweet words ladies. I appreciate it. Levi is doing well. He is taking a low does of amoxicillin before bed each night to ward off any kidney infections while we wait for the VCUG test Aug. 6th. He has started spitting up some--not bad, but he never did before. I'm wondering if the antibiotics upset his little belly. He is fussy now and then...but its hard to tell if its related. Aren't 9-week-olds just a bit fussy at times even when they aren't on meds?!

#10 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 AM

^^ I think you are right about 9 weekers being more fussy. It's sort of that "I can see better, I have better head control, but I still can't do what I want" phase. Have you tried some baby probiotics? This helped our DD immensely after her first ear infx for which she received amoxicillin. Thank you for the update and please keep us posted after the 6th. xx
#11 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yes, antibiotics can irritate the stomach, and they can wipe out the normal digestive flora. That's why probiotics can be helpful.

But I also think my DD started spitting up more around that point, too.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#12 of 14 Old 08-31-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

update

Hey everyone. Is anyone still around here? I havent been on in many weeks...life gets busy. Levi is doing great. all of his tests came back good. They couldn't find any cause of his kidney infection. He hasn't gotten another...for which I am very thankful.
#13 of 14 Old 08-31-2014, 08:24 PM

I'm still around and I'm so so glad all his testing came back negative!!
#14 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm glad Levi is better! I'm still here...pumping at the keyboard and typing with one hand...have been back to work for a month!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page