Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

November Chat

2K views 133 replies 16 participants last post by  iowaorganic 
#1 ·
So where did October go? Time is flying by for me in this pregnancy. I just had an appointment with my midwife and feel much better about everything. It is so wonderful to have someone who is so encouraging and just wonderful to be around! Baby seems to be doing great and I'm measuring right on point at 30 weeks today. Oh man 10 more weeks to go (give or take!) I am super excited and nervous at the same time. I really need to get my rear in gear and start getting things ready for baby! I've been kind of an emotional wreck through this pregnancy but today has started very well and hopefully I can keep the good mood through the weekend!

Everyone ready for all the holidays to begin??

#52 ·
Is it weird my doctor hasn't said nothing about my baby's position??

Cwill, good luck with the pooping. I had major constipation in th first tri and my dr gave me glycerin suppositories. Much gentler than an enema but they worked pretty well.

My parents got us the crib mattress and they also sent us an organic mattress pad. It's this one http://www.naturalmatusa.com/product.asp?strParents=111&CAT_ID=164&P_ID=840

It is so soft and cozy but I'm afraid it's too soft or squishy and is a SIDS risk? I'm also now unsure what to do about using a waterproof cover - if I do that, it defeats the purpose of this organic mattress pad right, because the waterproof ness will override the organic ness? Help! I kind of wish I had just asked them to get the organic mattress but this seemed like a more financially sound choice.

Reactions: cwill
#53 ·
My ob hasn't said much about position. I know he was transverse, kind of like he's laying in a hammock with his head down-ish and feet kicking the top right side.

I'm not yet 30 weeks so I feel like I have plenty of time. If he doesn't get where he needs to be by the end of the month, I'll do some hands and knees exercises to get him in a better position.

As far as uhhhh, keeping things moving, pregnancy tea helps me. I made it from bulk herbs from a recipe I found online, something like "happy belly pregnancy tea" with red raspberry leaf, nettle, dandelion, spearmint, alfalfa .... I think that's all.

I shared some with a friend who was having the same problem (she's 37 weeks now) and she said it worked like a charm. I drink a quart a day,

#54 ·
Pamela, love to have that recipe!

Poly, use a wool pad or sheepskin over mattress- wool is naturally waterproof and breathable. It's what we use w our kids and babies. We have a super $$ one from Lanacare (wool mattress pad cover w wool coverlet) and also just sheepskins from NZ and even a 100% wool blanket wrapped around mattress or folded under babe under sheet would work fine
smile.gif

#55 ·
I'm excited to try both chia seeds and the tea. I'll see if our herb store has everything tomorrow.

I think baby starts to settle around 32 weeks in FTM and closer to 34-36 otherwise. I've been trying feel lately. Baby is definitely mostly on the right and I think head down'ish. I feel hiccups over my right pelvic bone. But sometimes kicks/punches feel more transverse. It's hard to tell.

#56 ·
I have seen concerning studies about sheepskin a I'm not comfortable with that, is wool waterproof enough even without lanolizing and in an overnight setting, ie no compression wicking? I'm mostly concerned because this organic mat says dry clean only... Yikes.

#57 ·
We don't lanolize sheepskins/ have never had to. Been using wool for diaper covers and mattress pad covers exclusively in our family for over 5 yrs now
smile.gif
wool Is magical stuff: homeostatic (regulates body temps), natural waterproof and breathable and helps babes sleep better. If you have qualms about sheep skins look at Lanacare's mattress pad w coverlet. It is worth every penny and we are going to use ours again for third babe in a row! We do lanolize this. And lanolizing takes v little effort for so much result.

#58 ·
Ps you can also lanolize a plain old 100% wool blanket and wrap around mattress/layer under bed sheet. That is simple and effective enough. We did that w my son's bed before he was fully potty learned.

#59 ·
My midwife hasn't said anything about baby's position yet either and I will be 32 weeks Friday. I just figured there is still time for baby to flip so it is not something to worry about quite yet! I think she will be saying something at my next appointment in 2 weeks!

#60 ·
I would second wool as a mattress topper. I have one for my king bed. Super thin. Bullet Proof. Never had anything even get it wet-ish. Just change the sheets and give the wool a wipe with a towel, and voila! Dry. http://shepherdsdream.com/p-23-eco-wool-washable-mattress-protector.aspx. This is the one i have for my king bed. The one for my toddler mattress came from Daxstores. Not sure if this is the same one, since i bought mine 7 years ago. http://www.daxstores.com/v-pwp2.html. Love wool for bedding. I would be concerned about something fluffy, but the mattress protectors i have are very thin.

#62 ·
Ladies, gimme strength for my three hour gtt today! It's 6:45 am and I am already ravenous w growling stomach after fasting overnight and have 2 hours to go until my 1st draw. Will be able to eat at noon. Sitting and watching my kids chowing before school isn't helping either LOL

#63 ·
OrchideZ- Aww man! You can do it. That has to be really hard right now though!
:Hug

Reactions: OrchideZ
#64 ·
Argh so we are all sick. Making it's way through the house since Thursday. First DD, then DS and Hubby. Of course I get it last.

Yesterday was bad. Back spasms and tight stomach, deep coughing. Tea, tea, tea, tea, water, fruit. Kept going long after I was saying every two minutes how badly I needed to lay down because kids were a wreck still and between that, the mess and all our animals - it was too much even for a vastly improved hubby.

I'm sorry to hear about bowel issues with a few. Hope the tea helps as I know it is painful and makes everything that much worse.

#67 ·
cwill-
:Hug
Big hugs to you. That sounds incredibly painful. I hope you can get things moving soon. We also have the same supposed due dates! My Dr. said 13th but he based it on a 28 day cycle which I don't have. I can go as long as 32 some months. My average is 30 days So I picked the 15th as a in between date.

orchidez- I hope the lecithin works for you and you passed your test today! At least you will finally know either way and can get on with life. That stupid test seriously stressed me out and I was glad to move forward!

Cat- Yikes! That would be a lot to take right now. So sorry everyone feels so crappy. Wishing you speedy healing
dust.gif

AFM- Been dealing with a new hormone surge this week that left me with some uncontrollable anxiety. I feel much better today and think that it is passing. I hate these spurts - its the only time a feel really bad. Then my body adjusts and I'm fine for the rest of the week. Anybody ever get really itchy breasts with your growth spurts? I think it might be because my boobs are even more ridculously bigger than they were. I've lost track of my size and just went to 2x sports bras- which I am almost grown out of.
:eyesroll

Reactions: cwill and Catwmandu
#68 ·
I put my babies on sheep skins. The sheep skin I have is a very firm one- some are more 'hairy' and mine is maybe a therapeutic type? It is thick by not really cushy if that makes sense. I swear they sleep better on them. I don't worry about my sheepskin- after each baby is done with it I give it a soak in the bath tub with some wool wash and put on the clothes line and then it is good for the next baby. Each of mine uses for probably a year or so.... I also put wool blankets on our beds for mattress protection. I bought mine at a surplus store- so they aren't thin and they aren't soft- but they are effective :) I do love lanacare products though- I have used their nursing pads for years!

Cat- hope you get feeling much much better soon! It is so not fair that moms can get sick.

Orchid- hope your test goes well- at least then you will have more answers right?

As for me- I got an order of EOs yesterday- I can't believe I never had these before. I have run my diffuser 3 times with peace and calming and lavender and this house is changed :) It is fantastic! I also made a mineral balm with some frankenscence and myrrh in it (helps with my leg cramps) and it smells so yummy too! Very excited to try them out during labor! I do need to order my birth kit though....

I also made what could be considered the most amazing chocolate cake in the world yesterday- it has a dark chocolate salted caramel icing that is just about better than anything I have ever ate in my life- that with a quart of milk is pure bliss! RIght now I am chilling on the couch just surfing looking for ideas on what I should make for my little baby while my belly keeps cramping keeping me from doing anything too useful... At least homeschool is done for the day..

#70 ·
Diffuser and chocolate cake sound amazing. I think you've sold me on essential oils. I've thought about making sprays, why did I never consider using a diffuser?

Cat, sorry about family sickness. Hope everyone is doing better soon.

OrchideZ, hope your test went well and you felt ok at the end. When I did it, I felt crummy for the first hour, then great until I got in the car to leave and then I needed to EAT. I ate so much.

Jenny, sorry about the anxiety. Mine comes and goes too. I was sitting up until 2 am a couple nights ago thinking about trying to keep my family together in a post-apocalyptic world.

Funny thing about this bout of constipation is that other than the fact that I haven't gone in forever, I don't feel terrible. I'm starting to get full and a little crampy, but no contractions like before. Some pelvic pain, but not as bad as before either. So, yay! OB was very unsympathetic as anticipated; but recommended Miralax and I told him if I haven't gone in 2 days I'm coming to throttle him. The appointment was good other than that. He's pretty sure baby is head down so it's nice to not have to worry about that. Oh, and my GTT numbers were 71, 151, 110, and 86. That's after failing the 1 hour with a 146. So hope yours turns out similarly, OrchideZ!

#72 ·
That diffuser looks really nice! I think it's out of our budget right now though. Boo. Maybe a Christmas present. I really want something that makes our house smell nice and inviting.

I've pooped twice since yesterday! LOL. I tried a million and a half other folk remedies yesterday in addition to the Miralax so it could have been any one of those things. My mom told me to eat a bag of chips and is taking credit.

I made and froze veggie burgers yesterday and today have a double batch of tikka masala going in the crockpot and a ginger syrup for ginger ale going on the stove and I pooped and life is feeling pretty good for this next hour while DS continues to nap. And then it will all fall apart again, but revel in it with me for right now!

#73 ·
If I could like that twice for you I would cwill!

Glad to hear things are moving right along for you (sorry I couldn't resist).

Slowly improving here. At least energy wise. Coughing may be originating from lungs though and usually by nightfall my hacking is causing lots of tummy back tightness.

#74 ·
I don't know where my posts go... they disappear randomly I think! Yay for CWill! Good job!

I spent 5 horrible hours reconciling our checking accounts today- but I also found $200! So Yay! That said I decided it was time to spend it on a birth kit. So I ordered a pool too since it was too coincidental on the amount :) I ordered a la bas sine maxi! I am pretty excited about that. I am fairly long so I think it will be a good fit- plus it was the one that was on sale and I couldn't see buying less of a pool for more money- so whatever. Then I ordered a basic birth kit that I will have to add a few things too like peroxide and iodine scrub. And I ordered a floating thermometer... and then I found a 10% off coupon- so it came in under my $200! Yup. pretty excited! That is probably the last big thing on my list of things (which was pretty short to begin with). DH is taking care of plumbing stuff for the pool- so I don't need to worry about that. A couple packs of newborn diapers and I should be really setting pretty good.

#75 ·
Haha, you guys are all awesome. Thanks for the support!

Glad things are clearing up a little bit sickness wise Cat. We've all got a tiny bit of congestion here that I'm hoping stays a tiny bit.

Iowaorganic, yay for ordering supplies! I know we still have a ways to go, but we are so close! I'm still up and down emotionally, but I'm finally starting to get excited about meeting this baby.

A friend also just offered to throw me a shower next month. It was so sweet of her. I wasn't planning on doing anything and I don't want anything, but it will be good to celebrate this LO a little before arrival.

#76 ·
Cwill- Aww that is so sweet of your friend to offer to do that! How nice!

Cat- Glad it has started to clear up a little! Hopefully you guys will be back to normal soon. My cold has hung on since the end of Oct. :/ Not too bad now but just can't seem to get rid of it fully!

Reactions: Catwmandu
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.