Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Let's have some introductions!

2K views 144 replies 80 participants last post by  MyKittysMew 
#1 ·
We have several months together ahead of us, so let's get acquainted!

I'm Molly, 25, wife to Zach and mom to Lotus,4, and Phoenix, 2. Our EDD is early January. We're crunchy, AP friendly, atheists. I'm a Harry Potter and Doctor Who nerd and I love reading. We're minimalists except for when it comes to books.. We "need" them all! ;p My first two births didn't go great, so third time's a charm! I already have my doula booked (priorities!) and as I type this I'm browsing "big brother" shirts on Amazon.

#27 ·
Hi! I'm Valarie - 30 yrs old, mom to a 3yr old surprise baby... I had dealt with infertility and miscarriages for YEARS, and then I left my hubby, met a guy, had a few too many... and OOPS! A son!

Best mistake I ever made though - he is the most amazing little man :)

I'm a big ole' hippy -breastfed for a couple of years, non-vaxing, cloth diapered, etc.

Kiddo was supposed to be a HB, but it turned ugly thanks to crap midwives, and the hospital transfer led to a traumatic section by jerk OBs, as a way to punish the HB mom
irked.gif

So, this one (Due Jan 17th) is a VBAC! I've decided that, this time around, if a care provider turns into Mr Hyde, I'll just have the thing alone in my tub... I'm sooooo done being bullied while in labor!

I have no reason to believe this kid won't stick - but just in case, we're holding off until after 8 or more weeks to tell anyone.

I actually just found out this morning - haven't even told my boyfriend yet! Oh, and there's *that....* my family is mormon, so telling them about our sin baby should be *neat* :p

Whatever - we were planning a wedding before I found out, so all baby will change is the date we wed!

As for my hobbies/what-not: I'm a geek, of the Whedon/Star Wars/Comic Book variety, I have been a judo athlete for 15 years, and enjoy various sports (ultra running, bouldering, mountain biking). And I am definitely a cinemaphile :) Oh! and I'm in graduate school... which should be *neat* as well!

Can't wait to get to know you all over the next several months!!!

#28 ·
Hi everyone!

I was not expecting to see myself back on a due date board but I'm happy to be here :) I have a 9 yr old dd from a previous marriage and my boyfriend has a 3 yr old. We were not activly trying but not preventing pregnancy so here we are. Right now we live in separate homes and I think we will keep it like that until the baby is born. Not exactly sure how this will work just yet. My dd is not happy that I"m dating at all, not my BF but just that life will change when i marry him. I anticipate a lot of resistance from her regarding this baby and I may need to ask you gentle mama's to help me along here.

I'm a certified personal trainer with special training in diastasis recti and how to close post partum. I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding abdominal separations! I have one and I'm going to try to prevent it from getting out of control with this baby.

I can't believe i'm pregnant again, last time was 10 yrs ago! Anyone else have a big gap between children???

Nice to meet you all :)

I'm in Toronto if there are any Canadian mama's here

#29 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by minasmom View Post

Hi everyone!

I was not expecting to see myself back on a due date board but I'm happy to be here :) I have a 9 yr old dd from a previous marriage and my boyfriend has a 3 yr old. We were not activly trying but not preventing pregnancy so here we are. Right now we live in separate homes and I think we will keep it like that until the baby is born. Not exactly sure how this will work just yet. My dd is not happy that I"m dating at all, not my BF but just that life will change when i marry him. I anticipate a lot of resistance from her regarding this baby and I may need to ask you gentle mama's to help me along here.

I'm a certified personal trainer with special training in diastasis recti and how to close post partum. I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding abdominal separations! I have one and I'm going to try to prevent it from getting out of control with this baby.

I can't believe i'm pregnant again, last time was 10 yrs ago! Anyone else have a big gap between children???

Nice to meet you all :)

I'm in Toronto if there are any Canadian mama's here
I'm a Canadian mama too :) Though on the other side of the country.

#31 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm Meg, 32, married to my awesome hubby, and we have a son who is 2. New baby will be arriving about a month before my son's 3rd birthday.

We weren't actively trying, but not preventing. We did that the first time around, too. And it took about two years to get pregnant both times. It's hilarious that my husband is so casual that he just forgets about it, and assumes that if we don't get pregnant immediately, we must not be fertile anymore. So he was like *shocked* when we found out last night (and shocked the first time, too, lol). I was not shocked, as I'd had some odd symptoms that made me really think I was pregnant, even before the test confirmed it. (Like my son's breath making me gag when I kissed his face, how sad is that??)

I am into AP style parenting stuff, but I pretty much drag my husband down this AP road some days. He never wanted to cosleep. It just started around 9 months because our son, Homer, was having a hard time, waking up a lot at night (teething), and I fell asleep nursing him in bed, then said, oh hey, this is easier, I get more sleep this way!! So we've been cosleeping since then, and hubby is so ready for Homer to go sleep in his own bed. We are going to start working on it soon, once we get our furniture..

That's a whole other story! Long story short, we have been Californians for many years, but recently moved to Washington to be closer to my family. My friend joked when I told her I was pregnant, "Wow, when you guys decide to make a life change, you make a COMPLETE life change!" I guess so! New state, new job for hubby (he started on Monday!), new apartment, and now, new baby! And hopefully, our old furniture! In a few weeks!! Most everything is in storage in Los Angeles, we are sleeping on little IKEA mattresses on the floor, hehe.

Homer is still nursing, but seems to be tapering off a little bit lately. I know a lot of people choose to tandem nurse and I think that's cool, but I'm leaning a little toward weaning him, but that's hard for me to even write (and anyone who knows me would be completely floored to hear me say that), because it makes me sad to move on from our nursing.. At the same time, Homer gets very jealous if the cat even sits on my lap, so I'm not sure how he'd feel sharing nursing with a new sibling? Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

As for me personally, I'm kind of a natural-focused hippie chick in many ways, married to a big ol' video gamer geeky guy, and together we have an interesting life! My husband's degree is in film and tv, he works in video games, his hobbies are all electronic. It's great sometimes, and it gets a little like "how are you STILL looking at a screen?!" some days too! I used to be a zookeeper. I LOVE animals! I miss working with them, but not sure if I'll go back to it or not. Maybe just as a volunteer, for fun, and not career. Career-wise, I may explore being a natural childbirth instructor and/or birth doula. I love reading and writing (creative nonfiction and fiction), photography, and just exploring, being outside, etc.

My big creative goal at the moment is to finally get my act together and make the handmade baby book I said I would make for Homer, and make one for the new baby too. At least the new baby's book will have blanks that I can just fill in! lol (I can't believe I've slacked so much and still haven't made it. I had such lofty goals!)

Oh yeah, one last thing - has anyone ever dealt with not having health insurance while pregnant? My husband is wigging out a little, because our new health insurance with his job doesn't kick in until July 1. But I think that's fine if I'm not seen until then? Last time around, I went in right away (at hubby's insistence), and they were like... yes, you are pregnant, goodbye! And then the next thing I did was get bloodwork and an ultrasound at 13 weeks, if I'm remembering right. So, I think I'll just wait until I have coverage, because that'll be around 13 weeks, and search for some midwives in the mean time maybe.

Okay, that's about it for me I guess. I'm excited to get to know you all!!

#33 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg007 View Post

Oh yeah, one last thing - has anyone ever dealt with not having health insurance while pregnant? My husband is wigging out a little, because our new health insurance with his job doesn't kick in until July 1. But I think that's fine if I'm not seen until then? Last time around, I went in right away (at hubby's insistence), and they were like... yes, you are pregnant, goodbye! And then the next thing I did was get bloodwork and an ultrasound at 13 weeks, if I'm remembering right. So, I think I'll just wait until I have coverage, because that'll be around 13 weeks, and search for some midwives in the mean time maybe.
I'm in a similar situation. My husband just got a new job in March and his new insurance kicks in 3 days after I scheduled my 8-week appt. I really want an ultrasound before I leave to go out of town that weekend and I've been paying to see my OB out of pocket for the last two preconception visits anyway, so another $60 is no big deal.

I have no idea how things work in Washington, but here in Michigan all pregnant women are eligible for insurance provided by the state because they don't want any pregnant woman to go without care just because she can't afford it. Also, here it is retroactive so if you end up needing emergency care, you can apply after the care is received and it will cover back 2-3 months for anything pregnancy-related. You could plan to wait to see anyone until your husband's insurance kicks in, but look into the options your state provides so you are informed in case anything comes up before then.

#34 ·
Hey everyone!
wave.gif
After 2 years ttc, 1 MC, multiple chemical pregnancies and 2 IUI's I am excited to say that I am pregnant! I'm due January 15th or so. This will be our first child at almost 37 for me and dh is 42. Hoping this one is super sticky! I don't have my usual feelings of doom and anxiety so I'm going with the chance that this one is for real. I'm 4 weeks and will have my first ultrasound Tuesday for measurements and to see how many sacs are in there.

We are in the middle of a transition to full time RVers and expect to take off for the summer in June. We love the outdoors and spend most of our time hiking, swimming, riding bikes or reading. We are non religious people but are very much spiritual in the metaphysical sense.

#37 ·
Hey everyone! Love reading about everybody! We just found out a week ago that we are pregnant with #2 due January 10th. We have a DS who is almost 20 months and still nursing. My DH and I have been married for 9 years and travel for his job has finally slowed down enough to have a family. I'm a SAHM, former varsity volleyball coach and teacher. We have a couple dogs and horses and hope to get a good garden started this fall now that we are home more.
DH has identical triplet brothers (dh is the older brother) so we are adding a 5th cousin to the mix. I have a really small family so I love that there will be little ones close in age to play with in the family. We have a niece that was just born last week.
Looking forward to sharing the journey with y'all!

#38 ·
I'm excited to be joining a DDC :) My husband and I are crunchy christians who live in the pacific northwest. We already have one son who is 16 months old. We decided to start trying for another and I was a bit surprised that it happened right away. I've just gotten a positive result and it's taking me awhile to realize that this is happening...again! Baby is due late January.

I'm so happy to be pregnant, but I do have some worries. One major worry is that this pregnancy will interfere with my nursing relationship with my son. He still relies a lot on nursing and I'm not ready to give it up. I'm also at risk for pre-term labor since he was born 5 weeks early. I'm worried a bit about that happening again or my midwife telling me I need to wean LO because of the risk.

Well, I'm excited to be getting to know everyone. Congratulations on all your pregnancies!

#39 ·
Hello all,

I am Erin, wife to Kyle and mom to Jonas (2.5) and a beautiful golden retriever, Sophie (4). I work full time outside of the home in higher ed law. In the last year I have graduated from law school, relocated, passed a bar exam, and taken a new position. My husband is back in school with 3 semesters remaining in his program. Thankfully my job is primarily an 8-5, M-F position, and Kyle's student schedule allows for a lot of flexibility. We had an early loss in March and are super excited about the BFP that we received this weekend. I am a bit hesitant at this point, because of the prior loss at 5 weeks, but we are staying positive and celebrating every moment that we can. We are a semi-crunchy--breastfeeding (20 months), cloth diapering, local food eating, AP, midwife using family who is looking forward to a midwife assisted birth. We are not sure if we will be at home or at the hospital yet. Our area isn't very progressive in the birthing area--so we'll see ;-) We used a free standing birth center with Jonas and loved every minute of our experience.

I am super excited to get to know you all better over the coming months and wish each of you a happy, healthy 9 months :)

#40 ·
Hello, my name is Elizabeth and I am a newbie to this site! I am mother to Meghan (4) and Annie (almost 2). We just found out that we're pregnant with the third. Hubby is nervous, especially if we have a third girl :) With both girls I had extreme morning "all day" sickness. I had to go on a medication with Annie and she was very colicky for the first six months of her life. I'm not saying there was a correlation but I would love to find natural remedies to all day sickness. Any suggestions? Thank you!

#42 ·
Hi my name is Selissa, though my friends sometimes call me Salem. I answer to either. I am spirtually (though not legally) married to my lovely life mate Milton. I am mama to my two boys; 10 year old Lucien and 7 year old Rowan from a previous marriage. I also have a step daughter who will be with us as much as possible though she lives out of state with her mama.

My first two were born at home and breastfed. Looking forward to sharing that magical experience with a supportive natural and healthy living inclined mate.

...really looking forward to having an excuse to obsess over cloth diapers and baby carriers again. congrats to everyone!

#44 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmajeski View Post

With both girls I had extreme morning "all day" sickness. I had to go on a medication with Annie and she was very colicky for the first six months of her life. I'm not saying there was a correlation but I would love to find natural remedies to all day sickness. Any suggestions? Thank you!
I have all day morning sickness too and I can't suggest Ginger everything enough. I have ginger tea, lemon ginger tea, peach ginger tea, candied ginger, ginger mints...pretty much if it comes in in natural ginger flavor i grab it. I am also being really diligent about drinking tons of healthy fluids and healthy snacking regularly. I make an herbal pregnancy tea with Red Raspberry leaf, Nettle, dandelion leaf, red clover, rose hips, and ginger that i make as sun tea. I mix each glass about 1/4 with a tart refreshing 100% juice. It is really helping a lot!

#45 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by minasmom View Post

i am sorry to everyon, I am not coordinating my posting well at all this morning so sorry about the multi posting. i blame it on the pregnancy brain. My youngest will be 8 in july. I totally understand that feeling of whoah i am starting all over lol. :)

#46 ·
Hi, I'm Alison, 34 years. I am wife to hubby Jon, mama to Finn, 3.5 yrs and Liam, 15 mos, due with #3 on January 10th!! We weren't really planning on getting pregnant yet, but knew we probably wanted another, so here we go :) The first 2 pregnancies I really wanted a girl, but now I am quite happy with my boys so will totally love whatever comes! We are crunchy Christians. We had both boys at home with midwifes, one was a water birth, and hope for the same this time around. I am still nursing Liam and hope that will continue through the pregnancy. I tandem nursed both when Liam was born -not sure if I really want to do it again, but may because he will only be 23 mos when this little one is born, we'll see how it goes. I am really worried about morning, or in my case "all day", sickness this time around. I just feel like I have too much on my plate to fit in feeling miserable for 6 mos again. Any suggestions on natural remedies or supplements to stave it off before it sets in?

Love reading about everyone and its so nice to have the support!

#47 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestarlet View Post

Staged photos! Omg....you're brilliant and my new BFF. Lol

Don't you usually deliver within a week or so of your due date? Wow, I am so clueless about this. If nothing else, I'm sure I'll keep this group entertained by asking all the dumb questions!
It could easily be 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after....so you can adjust it by at least a month and no one would know the difference ;-)

#48 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusing View Post

Any suggestions on natural remedies or supplements to stave it off before it sets in?
Hi Alison! Have you looked into magnesium supplements for morning sickness? I believe you are supposed to start before you get pregnant, but it can also help during pregnancy. I was sick for 6 months too with my first pregnancy. I read about magnesium and decided to give a try...here's hoping it works! I take Natural Calm as well as epsom salt baths. You can also go the transdermal route which absorbs better, but it irritated my skin too much.

I'm also hoping to nurse through pregnancy and tandem my son who is a month older than yours. It's hard not knowing how things will go, but hearing about you moms that have done it before is a big encouragement!

#49 ·
Hi there! I'm Sam, married to D. I love reading everyone's stories. There seem to be a lot of surprise babies in this DDC. I am 35; DD just turned 2. In fact, we conceived this one the morning of her birthday party. We were trying but it was only our second month.

My mind says be cautious and don't count on too much with this one. At the same time, I feel relaxed and secure in this pregnancy, much more so than I did with DD, when I was an anxious mess.

I was really freaked out when I saw that BFP. I wasn't expecting this to happen so quickly, and had only just adjusted to the idea of wanting another child. Now that it's been a few days, I'm getting excited and happy, but like I said, trying to be chill/cautious until we know it's viable.

I am a fiction writer by graduate degree and editor/writer by trade, but I've only been doing that sporadically. I recently made the decision not to stress about finding a post-graduate "career" job because I just don't have the mental energy right now. So I've been freelancing here and there. LittleStarlet--I'd love to talk shop some time!

Oh yeah--I'm not sure exactly when I ovulated, but my due date is somewhere around January 20-21. I had DD two days early, so this one might be born on my 36th birthday, January 17!

Finally, I had a hospital birth w/OB last time. I liked my doctor in most ways, but would have liked a more natural approach. However, for insurance reasons and feeling skittish about home birth, I didn't have a midwife option last time. I was in labor all night, and then about halfway through the next day I opted for an epidural--I was SO exhausted, and the puking and shivering from pain were not fun. It was definitely the right decision for me. HOWEVER, an established (and well-reviewed) midwife practice JUST started delivering at that hospital, AND the hospital just started offering water birth, so I'm pretty thrilled to have gotten into that practice!

Whee. Here we go again.

#50 ·
Hey everybody! I'm a 35 year old co-sleeping, breastfeeding, cloth diaper and EC-ing mama, and my husband and I have a gorgeous 18 month old little boy. I'm due 1/18/2014. I'm a little anxious that this pg won't stick--when TTC our son, I had two really early miscarriages and it took a year to get pg successfully. Fingers crossed! This time this was our absolute first month trying, and I'm shocked that it worked! Hoping for a little girl, but was hoping for a girl in my first pg, and I certainly can't imagine my son any different now- he's perfect! Last time our planned home birth was demoted to a birth center, to a hospital induction, then a c section, and this time have already been told I'm a "bad candidate" for a VBAC, so I'm already stressing about getting the birth i want, so hopefully I can relax and just enjoy this. I love being pregnant! Hope to get to know you all!

#51 ·
Hello. I am Sara, mother of three and 30 years old. My children are Parker (7.5), Grace (4.5), and Penelope (3). My husband is Nathan, and he works in refrigeration. We just had a 6 weeks ago, and now I'm 5 weeks pg again. We weren't expecting this to happen so quickly or easily, but we are absolutely thrilled. My EDD is 1-14-14. My ds was born in hospital through C-section. My dd's were both born VBAC with midwife. I am hoping to have baby #4 at home, unassisted.

I enjoy gardening, knitting, cooking, baking, reading and relaxing. I'm a fairly average person, not very crunchy, but I hold a lot of natural ideals. I am agnostic, and very into sci-fi and fantasy (Doctor Who, Firefly, Harry Potter, Star Wars...). We also raise guinea pigs and plan on starting a guinea pig rescue as there is none in our area. We currently have 6 of them in our care. We are hoping to buy a house this summer for our first time.

This is my first (somewhat) planned pregnancy, so this is kind of a first time experience for me. I love knowing that I making something that half me and half my husband, it is one of the most beautiful things to me. I am really looking forward to sharing this experience with you wonderful ladies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.