Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Let's have some introductions!

2K views 144 replies 80 participants last post by  MyKittysMew 
#1 ·
We have several months together ahead of us, so let's get acquainted!

I'm Molly, 25, wife to Zach and mom to Lotus,4, and Phoenix, 2. Our EDD is early January. We're crunchy, AP friendly, atheists. I'm a Harry Potter and Doctor Who nerd and I love reading. We're minimalists except for when it comes to books.. We "need" them all! ;p My first two births didn't go great, so third time's a charm! I already have my doula booked (priorities!) and as I type this I'm browsing "big brother" shirts on Amazon.

#52 ·
I'm Kris, Married to N. Mama to 3 boys ages 5. 4, and 17 months. I am 36 years old. Working full-time out of the home as a family nurse practitioner. N is completing his Phd this month and starting a post doc in the fall. We were planning this pregnancy hoping for a baby that would come during Sememster break. I am due January 1, so looks like our planning was good for that. I am a little nervous about having some extra help when the baby comes as we live very far away from all family and most friends.

I am planning a hospital birth, wtih an OB - there are only 2 midwives in our area and I did not have great experience with them with my last birth, but the OB delivered my second and he is very wholistic and a great colleague as well. I have had 3 natural hospital births in the past including one water birth, and the hospital is walking distance from our house, so that is all good.

But here is the thing, I have never gone to my due date, my last 3 were 36 weeks, 39 weeks and 38 weeks, and so I think I will probably have a December baby, but I am worried about cost if I don't go early. I have a HSA insurance plan and the high deductible resets January 1. So if I have the baby January 1, I would likely have to pay the whole cost of the delivery. (My deductible is quite high and nothing is covered until I meet the deductible) But if I have the baby in December I will have met the deductible already and thus pay nothing for the delivery.

Anyway - happy to be here with everyone.

#53 ·
Hello!
Nice to meet everyone!
My name is Katie. Brian is my DH, and he's pretty great! We are expecting our first, on Jan. 13, and are so excited! We're from Wyoming, and DH will still be in school for the next three years, so things might be a little interesting financially, but we are determined to figure it out. We are quiet people who like to cuddle up at home and read. I can't wait to get to know all of you!

#55 ·
Hi! My name is Mimi I'm 22 years young (lol) I have an amazing BF. No we are not married because we decided we are not ready. We have a beautiful 16 month old daughter. And we are currently expecting baby #2!! EDD is Jan. 6th 2014. Same EDD as with our little girl. But DD was born at 39 wks on Dec. 31st 2011. I'm so hopping that this baby shows up at 38 weks!!! I don't want them to have the same bday and I don't want to be in the hospital for her 2nd bday either.... BF and I live together with my in-laws. But momma still does things her way!!! And yes i am a little scared as far as having a NB and a toddler!! But god willing I will get through it all!!!

My first birth experiance went GREAT!!! No epi or pain meds!! And no tarring recovering went by quick and easy!! Hopping for the same experience this time around!!

Can't wait for these next 7 and 1/2 months to go by quick!!

#56 ·
Hello everyone. I am an almost 36 year old who just found out that I am pregnant last night, after 8 months of trying. I could not be more excited. I am the mom of an almost 14 year old girl, who I had while young, single, and in college. We had a natural water birth, practiced attachment parenting, extended breastfeeding, co-slept, etc. and plan to do the same with this one. This time around I have a loving and supportive partner, and this baby will be so lucky to have such an amazing older sister. I am a little bit in shock that I will be parenting a freshman in high school and a newborn simultaneously. Also, in the week we conceived I was laid off from my job, (I didn't like it so it is for the best,) I moved, and I was hired as a nanny for a friend of a friend's children. What a rollercoaster!

So, so happy to be here! Hoping for a homebirth this time around, and a healthy pregnancy. Looking forward to getting to know all of you. I am waiting to tell people other than dh, dd and my two closest girlfriends, so it is nice to be able to talk about this somewhere!

#57 ·
Hello all-

I am an almost 37 year old mother of 3 boys: Henning 10, Connor 7 and Elijah 4. I am due with #4 early Jan. I am a homeschooling mom who practiced extended breastfeeding. cloth diapering, co-sleeping, and babywearing. I had 3 natural births and my last 2 were home births. We live in rural New Hampshire in a post and beam house in the woods. We have an awesome dog and chickens. I have been happily married to my dh for 13 years. My dh is a computer programmer.

#58 ·
Hello Everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm from Washington State. This is my first pregnancy (baby#1). My transgender husband and I tried AI (artificial insemination) for 4 months with known donor (that is a story too long for this intro) before we finally got the timing right and I'm pregnant-due Jan 13th. I just finished my Associates in Early Childhood Education (ECE) and a Transferable Associates. I started school to get my BA in ECE and Elementary Education when my hubby and I decided we wanted to start a family instead. The whole reason I went to school was to learn how to homeschool our children which from what I've learned about the school system, we will be unschooling our children :)

We are AP-ing EC-ing, bed-sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding kind of people-minimalist all the way. :)

I love animals-have quite a few which include a Pit Bull (Jazmine), a Chihuahua (Toad), two kitties (Nana and Tabby), 6 sugar gliders (Bear, Lily, Zack, Ella, Nick and Tate). I love my crafts and projects including crocheting, knitting, sewing, gardening, building cages, wood-working, etc. etc. :) Right now my project is making room for baby...what happens when you've been nesting for the last two years? A garage full of kid stuff that you will finally get to use! Yay! :) (Note: My idea of minimalist is not buying into consumer baby-land; homemade stuff doesn't count). :)

Planning on birthing at a freestanding birthing center possibly with Hypnobirthing (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called) but deep down, I hope that baby comes so fast that I have an unassisted homebirth. :)

Nice to meet all of you and hope we all bring healthy, happy babies into this wonderful world :)

#60 ·
Hello all! I'm Sarah, 32 years old and my husband and I are expecting our 1st baby (non-fur, that is) on January 10th. We are both really nervous about this pregnancy as I have had some spotting off and on. We are counting down the days til our first appointment in June (our midwife group doesn't see people until 10-12 weeks). We have not told anyone yet and won't until after that appointment. I am sure some people will be very surprised as more than a few people seem to think we have chosen to stay childless (not true, we just waited awhile).

Being our first we have no clue what we are doing, but our goal is to be relaxed and enjoy the process. We decided to go with the one midwife group in our area that does hospital births and we have heard some very good things about the practice and how they are great advocates for natural birth. We would love to co-sleep, cloth diaper, etc., but we have agreed to see what works best for all of us when the time comes. I work full-time in higher ed. and will continue to work once the baby comes. Luckily I have a pretty nice schedule and only work four days a week.

I am excited to share this journey over the next several months with all of you!

#61 ·
Hello!

I just got my BFP two days ago and it still doesn't seem real! EDD is 1/21/14. I'm Amy, married to José and mother to our sweet son Ezra (21 months.) This pregnancy is a total surprise because it took us seven years and an IUI to get pregnant the first time! Ezra is still breastfeeding and I only got my period back this past January. Like I said, SURPRISE!!! But we couldn't be happier! When we started our journey to becoming parents almost ten years ago now, we always dreamed of more than one baby, so here we go!

I am an English language teacher in Costa Rica but have been working from home since E was born. I'm currently doing transcription but am finding I'm not very fast at it, so I'm looking for other options. I love researching things, knitting, juicing and cooking, but find I have very little time lately! E seems to want to be held and nursed a lot lately. Could he already sense the new little one???

I haven't told my side of the family yet because we just found out my sister-in-law is pregnant two days ago and we have the same EDD! I don't want to "steal" their show! I wanted to let everyone ride on their high for a few days. But tomorrow is my mom's b-day and we are going to sing her the news!

If there are any other tandem nursing moms out there, I'd love to have a thread for that, if it doesn't exist already.

Nice to "meet" all of you! Glad to have you to share the journey with!

#62 ·
Hi!

I live in upstate New York with my partner and 19-month old daughter. She is still BF, though I have found my milk supply to have seriously dipped in the past few weeks. We are excited and oh so thrilled to be pregnant again. I've only had AF three times since DD was born, and only been trying with the last cycle. DD was a surprise pregnancy, too, in that we had been trying for years and attempted IUI several times. And then I quite my job and we moved for DP to attend graduate school, and voila, I got pregnant!

My first birth was maybe 7 hours start to finish, an unmedicated hospital birth with midwives. I wanted a homebirth, but everyone was booked or didn't accept my insurance. But as it turned out, we had a fabulous experience in the hospital (our town is very crunchy) and will do it the same way again.

Also, I'm 39 and will be 40 when #2 is born. Yet another reason we feel so lucky that I got pregnant so easily. The EDD is Jan 22nd. Pleased to meet everyone!

#63 ·
Hello!

I'm Leslie and I am from Milford (near Cincinnati), Ohio. My family includes my husband Terry, DD Arleigh (7), DS Merrick (2), one dog, and a horse! Although this baby is a surprise, it'll all work out. I was able to have a home birth with a midwife for DS and that's the plan this time too.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone
smile.gif

Leslie

#64 ·
My name is Solveig, I'm 30, married, and mother to 7 yrs old Iris and 6 yrs old Ymir. We live in Reykjavik, Iceland, just moved back home after almost 6 years in Denmark. I'm a registered nurse and my dh is a photographer/ graphic designer. We go in for the "all-natural" birthing and child rearing, with home births, reusable diapers, cosleeping, organic foods, the whole nine yards. We've been trying to get pregnant for ages so we're practically exploding with joy, acting like first-timers ;-)

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

#65 ·
I'm Danielle, I'm 32, I have 3 kids, a DP, and this is my 5th pregnancy. I lost my last baby in March @ 11 weeks. Possibly at blighted ovum but the ER doc told me he saw a fetal pole and hb the same week I miscarried. I hemorrhaged at home and had to go to the ER and have an emergency D&C. Was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 weeks ago based on labs done after the miscarriage. I was already pregnant when I was diagnosed but didn't know it yet. I'm on Synthroid now and am trying to get in to see an endo who specializes in thyroid issues. Trying not to get attached to this baby too much until I see the hb at least. These last two pregnancies were planned so that has just made it harder. It is probable that I have Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid disease - it runs in my family. Had HCG and progesterone drawn and at least they are both normal. Waiting on an early ultrasound at 6-7 weeks. I want a healthy, sticky baby! I just hope what I am doing is enough.

#67 ·
Hello! :) I'm Lisa, I've been married to my sweetie for 19 years and we have 12 children, our oldest is 18 and youngest is 11 months - 6 boys and 6 girls until January! Eleven of the twelve have been born at home with the same wonderful midwife, which is the plan for this new little one. Glad to be aboard here!

#68 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulChaosMom View Post

Hello! :) I'm Lisa, I've been married to my sweetie for 19 years and we have 12 children, our oldest is 18 and youngest is 11 months - 6 boys and 6 girls until January! Eleven of the twelve have been born at home with the same wonderful midwife, which is the plan for this new little one. Glad to be aboard here!
Lovely! We are expecting our 12th, last 9 born at home.

#70 ·
Hello,

I have enjoyed reading about you all, there are so many lovely ladies are in this group. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

I am 32 years old with a 12 year old Dd and a 5 year old Ds and am due with number 3 on the 21st of January 2014. Ds will be nearly 6 by then, so it seems like it has been a lifetime since I was last pregnant (and it really has been, so much has happened).

This was not planned but we are very happy about it as we believed that it may not be possible to have more children. I was told that I had premature menopause last summer, and we have been so sad that we would not be able to have a child together (Dd and Ds are the results of previous relationships
blush.gif
). Happily, I am now pregnant after not preventing and being rather active
Sheepish.gif
for the over a year, this will be Bf's first child and he is so excited so I hope that it all goes well and our little poo machine will arrive healthy and happy.

Dd was a Cesarean section and Ds was an amazing natural VBAC, something I hope to repeat. Hugs to all those going for a VBAC
treehugger.gif
, my only advice would be to educate yourself and trust your body, it is a strong giver of life.

We are rather crunchy and practise extended breast feeding ( to 33 months with both Dd and Ds) , co-sleeping, whole/local/organic foods when possible, delayed vaccinations and hopefully soon, cloth diapering.

I have a passion for gardening and books. Can never have too many plants or books. We also have a very fluffy dog and would love to have chickens but sadly they are not allowed in our townhouse
lol.gif
. My daughter and I love to watch Dr. Who and read together, best book so far is 'The Hobbit' though Harry Potter is never far behind.

#72 ·
Hi everyone. I'm Katherine, from South Georgia. My husband and I are Catholic converts both 37 and have been married for 14 years. We have 4 boys (17, 10, 7, and 4). I wouldn't call myself crunchy, but I do homeschool, homebirth, breastfeed til 3 and co-sleep. We haven't done anything to prevent pregnancy since our last little guy was born and figured maybe my body was done having babies. I guess not!

Had a period March 31st then what appeared to be another (though strange) period on May 1st. But started having what I thought were PMS symptoms on May 10th which only seemed to get worse. I finally did a pregnancy test just to rule THAT out and low and behold we are pregnant.

I am concerned because of the bleeding and am going for an early ultrasound this week (something I've never done before) just to make sure everything is where it should be.

Looking forward to seeing that heartbeat before telling the rest of my family and friends! (Though the 17 year old found out because I forgot to delete a picture of the positive test on my phone!)

Good luck to everyone!!

#74 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaKell View Post

Hello everyone! I'm Chelsea, also from South Georgia. I'm due January 31 (so I'll hang out in the February DDC too when it comes up). This my second pregnancy but no kids yet. I lost my last baby in January at 12 weeks.
So sorry Chelsea!

#75 ·
I'm Pamela, mom to Ike, a natural hospital birth in August 2008. My husband and I waited and waited and waited and finally decided to try again and BAM! Pregnant within 2 weeks, which was crazy considering it took us forever the first time. I have a full time job as a magazine editor, but am very committed to attachment parenting. We cloth diapered our first, and plan to do it again. My husband's too nervous for home birth so we're looking at birthing centers. Fortunately we live somewhere with options. I'm 33 and am interested to see how different this is this time around. I don't feel a whole lot older but I'm sure 5.5 years makes a big difference.

#76 ·
Hello!
banana.gif

My name is Mackenzie, I'm 27, and my husband (just barely! Married May 4th!) and I live in Brooklyn, NY. We have been TTC our first for 3 long years, have done all the tests, and everything has come back normal. I begin a PhD program at NYU this fall, and just got my BFP a few days ago on our honeymoon in Kauai. We are STUNNED. And thrilled, and a little bit in disbelief. We can't believe we conceived naturally, after all these years. We thought for sure IVF or IUI was in our near future!

I am a nanny, doula, and childbirth educator, who is making the big leap back into academia, and I couldn't be more thrilled with the prospect of mothering while a grad student. It's like a dream come true for me. We haven't told anyone yet (except my best friend, who is due in July). We will wait for lab work to come back before we tell immediate family, and our first (and possibly only) ultrasound around the 8-9 week mark to tell any friends or extended family. I'm super nervous! I've been watching over babies and moms for 10 years now, and researching the heck out of them for my schooling, and now it's just so surreal to be one of them.....it's freaking me out. In a great way.

We're desparately hoping that this little bean sticks around. We have a clean diet, I'm young, and I'm doing all the positive thinking that I can muster
namaste.gif
. Cross your fingers and toes for me, ladies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.