Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Low Iron?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  pomegranate79 
#1 ·
Anyone else experience this?

I started the pregnancy with a 12.9, which is good. 12 is normal. Now i am a 10 (something, didn't catch the last number).

I cannot find anything online that really says what iron levels should be during pregnancy. Does anyone have a resource?

My midwife just suggested dietary changes, so I guess it is not that low. I went with a supplement though, bc I cannot see myself eating any better than I do. Lots of eggs and leafy greens and nuts. I just am not a big meat eater.

#2 ·
I don't have any reputable online sources, but I believe that 12 is normal and you do not want to be below 10. Can you start incorporating a pregnancy tea that has raspberry leaf and nettle into your daily routine? Both are high in iron, and beneficial in other ways for pregnancy as well. My iron levels are fine now, but because I am a vegetarian and not gaining enough/eating enough despite my best efforts, my midwives are recommending the tea to try to stay on top of the iron in my diet. Also, if you can, cook with a cast iron skillet, (I have friends that have found theirs at thrift shops and you can follow instructions online to re-season it,) which will fortify your food with iron. Adding organic, unsulphured black strap molasses to breads, smoothies or oatmeal would also be highly effective without changing your eating habits too much.

#3 ·
I already cook in cast iron (love it). And i have been doing RRLT for a few weeks now. But I will probably add another cup each day, i was thinking it had iron. I am not a huge fan of Nettle tea, but I remember drinking it last pregnancy (is it high in Vit K, maybe?). I know i can do a few easy changes, like not having coffee or milk with my iron rich foods, and adding Vit C with iron.

I did come across a few articles that said 9.5 /10 is optimum for 28 weeks. Increased blood volume, etc coming into play at this time point.
http://healthybabycode.com/5-myths-about-pregnancy-nutrition-2-all-women-should-take-iron-during-pregnancy http://www.bigbellyservices.com/class%20handouts/Anemia.doc

So, i think i am going to make some little changes and not worry about it much. Thanks for your reply, Neara! The Blackstrap molasses went on the grocery list (i remember doing that with my last baby too).

#4 ·
Sounds to me like you're totally fine but thought I'd add that my prenatals are really helping me. My levels were low at the beginning of my pregnancy and now my midwife said that she was surprised at how good they are, given my last results. I didn't catch my numbers either time but I felt a lot better fairly soon after taking them. They are the Rainbow Light prenatals and they are a good price at Target and also go on sale sometimes for $6.99/bottle. Good luck! And, yes, my midwife said the same thing, that levels should go down towards the end because of increasing volumes.

#6 ·
I have had sever low iron levels this pregnancy. Dizziness and difficulty breathing were my only symptoms. My numbers (in Canada - don't know how much of a difference that makes) were at the lowest 103 (hemoglobin) and 7 for iron stores. I was told 'normal base line' ie lowest should be 125 and 50 for the iron stores - I dropped from 117 in early pregnancy, no idea on iron stores.

I have been taking 100mg of iron daily since the end of September and my numbers as of a week ago are up to 114 and 14! and I can breathe again!! and the dizziness has subsided. I will continue with the 100mg (as suggested by my midwife) to continue to increase my iron levels. I was taking floradix at first (but only 30 mg daily) but 100mg meant 1 bottle every 5 days!! I couldn't swallow the cost and switched to pills (non constipating ones - no issue so far). It took 3 weeks before my symptoms went away. Oh and I am on a very restricted diet because of gallstones that I developed right before this pregnancy and am trying to avoid aggravating so supplement and as many iron rich foods that I can eat are what I am doing. Also avoiding calcium rich foods when I take the iron to maximize absorption.

hope that helps!

Good luck!!

#9 ·
I'm mostly vegan (eat fish) but iron levels have checked out good last few times. Actually my midwife said I could skip my last test since my levels were so good. I make no extra effort to help the levels so must attribute it my prenatals - also Rainbow Light.

HTH

#11 ·
I also have low iron - 104 (in Canada... I think that's 10.4, depending how it's measured in the US). I'm taking floradix and my midwife wants me to start on Palafer. I've been having dizziness, tiredness, and even some weird heart rhythms. I haven't been taking prenatals regularly, since there are none available in Canada with whole food Folate :(

#12 ·
The rage given to me by my OB was 11.5-15.5, and mine's 12. I was feeling really run down back when I was having bleeding problems. I finally put two and two together and supplemented my diet with beef jerky.
:rotflmao

I felt much, much better after that.

Obviously not an option for the vegetarians/vegans in the crowd, though.

#13 ·
Has anyone come across information that says a lower hemoglobin can actually be beneficial and perhaps what nature intended? Mine dropped to 106 (Canada) and my midwives wanted to see supplementation, but there is some info out there indicating that if your first trimester numbers were good (mine were) than a drop to 95-105 may well be normal and possibly even beneficial?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2548871/pdf/bmj00581-0017.pdf

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/hb.htm

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/hb.htm

Wondering what others think? I know there are cutoffs for homebirth, but some mamas may be interested to know that those numbers may not make sense. Even in speaking to my midwife, who likes HB over 100 for a homebirth, she will concede that low hemoglobin does not lead to increased risk of hemorrhage. More that if you do hemorrhage at <100 it will be a tougher recovery.

#14 ·
Yes, that is what I concluded based on the research that I read. As long as you start normal and don't drop too low, the studies indicated it may be the way that the pregnant body is designed to work. I guess since nobody really knows, they suggest supplementing? I decided not to worry about my numbers, as it looked perfectly normal based on the studies I read. If I have a choice of foods, I will choose the one higher in iron, but that is pretty much all I am doing "special". I feel fine, so I am not worried about "low" iron.

#15 ·
Any suggestions on a good iron supplement (besides Floradix) that does NOT have folic acid in it and is non-constipating? The palafer and the Hemaplex that I found both have folic acid. If you have an MTHFR genetic variation there is some reason to believe that folic acid can be dangerous for you (vs real folate). For the same reason, I avoid Rainbow Light prenatals - if I'm remembering right they had folic acid. The only food-based prenatal I could find that had actual folate was Megafoods which I take.

I have chronic anemia even before pregnancy - never could get the reason diagnosed although I have some ideas - and Floradix works, but like Love Bug I run through bottles fast, so it's a big burden financially.

#16 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.