Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parenting in Late Pregnancy

404 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  vtamanda 
#1 ·
I am struggling lately with keeping up with my kids. Not only keep up with but enjoy them. I really want to use this last month to spend good quality time with them, but it seems they are so demanding and whiny and even when we are doing something nice together it falls apart into tantrums (baking cookies today for example). They are 4.5 and almost 2, the weather outside has been downright terrible (extremely cold), and I'm exhausted and cranky!

Any tips for how you parent in late pregnancy? How to balance giving the kids what they need but also carving out space and respect for yourself? How to stay calm in the face of whining, fussing, demanding when it just grates on me? I recognize much of this is just parenting, but I don't know, I find myself particularly moody in this last stretch of pregnancy and tired and sore. So, much of my patience is gone and it seems like a particular challenge to do with being pregnant.

#2 ·
I wish i had some good advice here, but I don't. Be forgiving and go easy on yourself. I make sure to apologize to mine (almost 3 and just 6) when i snap at them. When the little one wants "uppy!" I just gently say "no, but we can sit on the sofa and cuddle. It is too hard for Mommy to stand with you now that she has a big belly". And ask for help! They can probably do more than you are asking them to.

#3 ·
Same here! I have been having a hard time too, especially with having so much around the house to do and being so busy with the holidays. I agree with vtamanda, I have to do a lot of apologizing everyday. I make sure to have cuddling time everyday and want to make sure I still do that after baby gets here. I'm having a hard time getting down on the ground with her, bathing her and things like that. So I feel bad that I'm not able to do a lot of what I normally do with her. Sorry I'm not really any help either.... Good luck and not too much time left!

#4 ·
Another one for not much help. This is actually the biggest reason I don't think we'll have another kid. I am less off the parent, partner, and pet owner than I want to be - for 9 months. That's too long.

For me, I still have the patience to be calm, but I don't have the patience to distract. So if calming words and a hug isn't enough to diffuse a tantrum, I basically just walk away. DS woke up basically crying this morning (he's sick and woke up way too early) and cried pretty much until DH got up and could distract him with silly games. He also cried himself to sleep at nap time. I don't know if it would be better for me to lose my temper or not. :(

#5 ·
I am a terrible partner right now! But I cannot help it. I am bitter that I am pregnant and it IS dH's fault!! Lol. Plus he still gets to do all the things that i can't do (feel good, drink, stay up late, work out, eat, sleep, etc etc etc). So I am not a great partner, but I love him and I know it will be better once I can get back to normal and not have a baby growing inside me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.