Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Favorite labor snacks and drinks?

493 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tspencer519 
#1 ·
What are your favorite snacks and drinks for energy during labor? This will be my first HB and I would love if you would share recipes or store bough snacks and drinks that you enjoy during labor. I don't even know if I will want to eat anything, but just in case I want to have some stuff on hand!
:D

See less See more
#3 ·
If I remember correctly, the only thing I could handle was oatmeal or maybe some granola bars--definitely very mild stuff, which I ended up throwing up anyway. I had a hospital birth, but this was at home before we went in. Once we got there, those popsicles actually were pretty good :)

#4 ·
I was just going to say popsicles! They were so good. I also threw them up. :/ I'll have some granola bars and yogurt and nuts on hand, but I anticipate not wanting much of anything or wanting something that comes back up easily.

I'm going to have some Powerade this time. I never ever drink the stuff, but DH bought me some the last time I was sick to my stomach and it was ... soothing somehow? Probably coconut water would be good if you're health-conscious during labor.

#5 ·
I ate a bunch of pineapple about four hours before my son was born last time and regretted it during transition. Bleeehhhhh...pineapple barfy feelings.

I think I'm going to try to stick to light things again this time, things that won't upset my stomach . I had a hospital birth and am having another one, and my doctor is fine with fruit and lighter stuff. L&D people initially balked, but it was signed off on by my doctor so they backed off.

I will, however, have food with me. Last time, my son was born at 2 in the afternoon and I was STARVING, and the nurse brought me a turkey sandwich and I had to share it with my husband, who also skipped lunch (obviously busy...)

I'll not rely on a measly half sandwich to placate the super hungry "I just ran a marathon" feeling.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaRRRR View Post

I ate a bunch of pineapple about four hours before my son was born last time and regretted it during transition. Bleeehhhhh...pineapple barfy feelings.

I think I'm going to try to stick to light things again this time, things that won't upset my stomach . I had a hospital birth and am having another one, and my doctor is fine with fruit and lighter stuff. L&D people initially balked, but it was signed off on by my doctor so they backed off.

I will, however, have food with me. Last time, my son was born at 2 in the afternoon and I was STARVING, and the nurse brought me a turkey sandwich and I had to share it with my husband, who also skipped lunch (obviously busy...)

I'll not rely on a measly half sandwich to placate the super hungry "I just ran a marathon" feeling.
Ditto on the shared turkey sandwich! When we did our hospital tour for DD, I SWEAR I remember being told they had a chef who would make you whatever you requested after you had your baby. In my head, I turned this into "a personal chef who will deliver a fresh meal to you any time of day or night because BRAVO you just had a baby." I knew what I was going to order (grilled cheese) and everything. Well, I had DD at 10 p.m. after being in labor all day and the previous night, and they were like "Uh, our kitchen closed hours ago, let's see what we can dig up." Hence the turkey sandwich. BIG LETDOWN! My husband still makes fun of me for the personal chef fantasy.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Ditto on the shared turkey sandwich! When we did our hospital tour for DD, I SWEAR I remember being told they had a chef who would make you whatever you requested after you had your baby. In my head, I turned this into "a personal chef who will deliver a fresh meal to you any time of day or night because BRAVO you just had a baby." I knew what I was going to order (grilled cheese) and everything. Well, I had DD at 10 p.m. after being in labor all day and the previous night, and they were like "Uh, our kitchen closed hours ago, let's see what we can dig up." Hence the turkey sandwich. BIG LETDOWN! My husband still makes fun of me for the personal chef fantasy.
This made me chuckle.

Yeah, cause who do we think we are? Beyonce?

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post

I was just going to say popsicles! They were so good. I also threw them up. :/ I'll have some granola bars and yogurt and nuts on hand, but I anticipate not wanting much of anything or wanting something that comes back up easily.

I'm going to have some Powerade this time. I never ever drink the stuff, but DH bought me some the last time I was sick to my stomach and it was ... soothing somehow? Probably coconut water would be good if you're health-conscious during labor.
Those are good ideas!!! I really want to like coconut water but just can't stand the taste!! I really want to try to mix it with some other juices and see if that helps! Anyone ever do that before??? Or have any labor-ade recipes???? If not I will probably end up having some Powerade on hand at least.

Pamela & Blanca- That is too funny! I had and shared a turkey sandwich as well after having my DD in the hospital!!!! It was 5:30 pm and all they could give me was a paper bag with a turkey sandwich and an apple in it..... REALLY?!?! I hadn't eaten anything since 3am that morning and I was extremely hungry. Whats with hospitals and turkey sandwiches???

I don't know how much I will want to eat during labor. I remember how sick I got when my DD was passing through the birth canal and that was with an empty stomach. But if I have a long labor I don't want to be without snack options!

Reactions: Blanca78
#9 ·
I ate a PB&J in first labor and peanut butter toast for the second one. So that will be my plan this time. A mild fruit like grapes or apple too.

Coconut water is not great plain. It has to be really cold. Now that i have developed a taste for it, i can deal with plain. They make sone combo drinks, though that i syarted out drinking. I think mango was my favorite flavor?

A nice hot soup for post labor is great! At my homebirth my neighbor brought over a spicy chicken soup. She said the heat is supposed to help bring in your milk. It is a cultural tradition, keep momma warm and snuggled, feed hot and spicy foods! I was happy.

#10 ·
There must be some rule that hospitals must starve a new mom into submission or something. My last hospital birth I delivered at 7 pm. So obviously I had not had supper (I actually hadn't had anything since the night before. They were like "sorry the kitchen closed at 5:30 but we will bring you a 7 up and some saltines". Wow. I told them to forget it and my sweet husband went and brought me some food.

As for labor food- my midwife recommends grape juice and hard candy. I don't do hard candy but the deal with grape juice is it tastes the same both ways so it is a good choice :)

I have done some buttered toast- but this time I am going to do Ningxia Red popsicles. I think those will be awesome. I will probably have oatmeal soaked and ready to cook too- just in case. I can't imagine doing nuts or something like that- just seems like it would be too hard if it came up. Bananas would be good though.

My husband cooks after the birth- that is about the only time he does- and I am kind of at his mercy cause he just cooks whatever he wants- but it is awesome regardless! We usually do steak and eggs...

Reactions: tspencer519
#12 ·
I found this one that sounded pretty good to me.

I also found some coconut water that I actually like!!! It has fruit puree in it and make it taste much better to me. My midwife suggested protein bars, Popsicles, any protein I think I can handle and fruits and stuff. I really doubt I am going to want to eat much but want to have some protein bars and fruit on hand just in case. I will probably get a few other juices or something too. I don't know yet. I don't want to have everything on hand too early but with Christmas and New Years I'm afraid I will wait until it is too late. Good thing we do have a store like 5 mins away if I really need something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.