Can we talk pads?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you don't mind that is....

A few years ago I made the leap to a diva cup and have used that in addition to the occasional heavy diaper insert. I'd like to make some of the frozen pads with the sitz bath so I am looking at Glad Rags.

My last two births I was in the hospital and used what they gave me. What is everyone using for pad type after birth? Wouldn't the heavy bleeding put me through too many cloth?

Advice please. Thanks.

#2 of 10 Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 PM

I use the stuff from the hospital but am also a diva cup lover so I don't have too much cloth lying around to use...in the past I've borrowed my friends post partum pads. They are huge (and navy) and I loved them. Not sure of brand...twice I used these femme pads which are inserts you can put in the freezer...loved those too. This time I haven't needed a thing. One push and a six pound baby made it pretty easy on the lady parts this time!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#3 of 10 Old 01-02-2014, 07:07 PM

I used disposable last time but this time I have a bunch of ratty old small prefolds -- like really ratty. They came from a lot I bought on eBay to tie dye. I won't use them as diapers. They're super soft and still absorbent enough.

I also have a few WAHM overnight pads, and glad rags overnight. Standard glad rags seem too small to me. They seem like they'll not be comfy on my tender parts and the prefolds will be, if that makes sense.

My pp bleeding wasn't heavy after the first day or so, but it did last almost 9 weeks.
#4 of 10 Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am going to order a few overnighters and continue using dipe inserts that are getting ratty. :)

#5 of 10 Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 PM

I bought some disposable maternity Natracare pads for the first few hours/days postpartum where I'll put witch hazel on one end of them and stick them in the freezer. But, I'm planning to stitch some pads out of flannel for when my postpartum bleeding lightens up a bit. I'm having my placenta encapsulated. I may not bleed heavily for long, as it depends on how fast the person can get over to my home to start the process. One of the first things they do is a placenta smoothie. Some women have a drop in bleeding right away. Anyhow, trying to have all my bases covered since who knows how long the heavy bleeding will last.

#6 of 10 Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 AM

I just used disposable last time because my reusable ones were not big enough (I've never had a very heavy menstrual flow). I got the long night time ones. At first I just used the ones from the hospital, though--if I remember right I took a bunch of those twisty disposable cold pack things that fit in the gross disposable underwear, but the ice packs were great. I only ended up bleeding for a couple weeks and heavily only for a few days after birth if I remember right, so I still have pads left from last time.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#7 of 10 Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I picked up two packs of 14 from the midwives office last time I was there. Disposable ones. I just need to mist them and get them in the freezer.

#8 of 10 Old 01-13-2014, 11:23 AM

My midwife had me order a pack of 15 overnight big pads. I soaked them each in a tea bath of chamomile and comfrey tincture and then individually wrapped in Saran Wrap put in freezer.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#9 of 10 Old 01-13-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

I read somewhere that Earth Mama Sitz concentrate was good but I don't know if I spray this full strength on the pads then freeze or dilute some.

And my brain has been fried the past two days so I can't think straight :).

#10 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwmandu View Post

I read somewhere that Earth Mama Sitz concentrate was good but I don't know if I spray this full strength on the pads then freeze or dilute some.

And my brain has been fried the past two days so I can't think straight smile.gif.

I have some of the Earth Mama postpartum sitz bath herbs also. I was planning to brew them like a tea, strain it, and spoon that on the pads then freeze them. I've been through about 30 witch hazel pads since birth 3+ days ago (changing pads each time I go to the bathroom) and I think I'll use that Earth Mama sitz stuff next. I sprayed the Earth Mama bottom spray on pads, but that doesn't seem to help much unless the pad is sort of saturated.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page