Signs of Labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Someone suggested starting a signs of labor thread.  Here we go! We are getting close!

Apparently my recent contractions have been "real".  I got checked yesterday at my 37 week appt.  I'm at 2.5 cm, 70 % effaced and -1 station.  The OB said that was pretty low for a 2nd baby.  I am trying to not get to anxious because I really want her to stay in another 2 weeks.  I tend to spread out my early labor and then have really fast active labor.  My first came in 3.5 hours.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 PM

I had contractions last week Wednesday - at only 31w6d, so we went in and got checked out. No dilation or effacement or anything, thank goodness, but I had the steroid shot and 3 full bags of fluid pushed through IV to get them to stop. (Oh wow was I swollen). So now we're thinking this baby won't be a 40+weeker :)

I only realized I was in labour with my first when I felt the urge to push and noticed (a LOT) bloody show. It took 5 hours of pushing to actually get him out, but I think that was due to my ex being in the room, being in a hospital, etc. So I have no idea how long this labour will take, or what it will be like.

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

Birthmom since Jul/09 adoptionheart-1.gif

Early losses Jan/10 (7w), Aug/11 (5w), Jul/12 (5w)

joy.gifDD Jan '14

femalesling.GIF novaxnocirc.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif ecbaby2.gif cd.gif 

Old 12-12-2013, 02:07 PM

Kelly, do you want the baby to stay in for timing with the holidays?  Or are you worried it's too early?  It sure sounds like you're getting close!

JelloPanda, your baby definitely needs to stay in!  I'm glad they were able to get the contractions to stop.  Have they been calmer since last week?

AFM, nothing to report.  I'm 35 weeks and had a cervical check yesterday.  Just soft and slightly less high, but no dilation.  Which is just fine! 

Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I just want her to stay in long enough for her lungs to be fully developed. I would hate for her to have to go to the nicu for any reason.

Also- I have lost parts of my mucus plug the last two days. I wonder if that means I am now more effaced?
Old 12-13-2013, 12:10 PM

Kellyshea- soo exciting! I can't wait till we all start welcoming our babies! You sound like you are getting so close!! 

Happily married to my DH (05/06) and stay-at-home mom to a beautiful daughter energy.gif (01/11) and two sweet angel babies angel.gifangel.gif (2/12 and 11/12) and due Jan 10th with another blessing. 3rdtri.gif
Old 12-13-2013, 01:21 PM

Yeah, I guess 37 weeks is a little too close to preterm.  I would probably want to wait another week or so too. 

Ok, I'm such a nerd, but not as nerdy as this lady.  She made a probability calculator that shows your chances of having delivered your baby on and by any particular date.  I believe she only used spontaneous labors for her distributions so it doesn't take inductions into account (which would skew the probabilities, obviously) http://spacefem.com/pregnant/due.php?use=EDD&m=01&d=15&y=14

At this point, there is a 0.05% chance I would have had my baby.  The kind of depressing thing is that there is only a 50% chance of having delivered by your EDD.  But a 75% chance you'll have delivered within the following week so that's not terrible, I guess...  Anyway, it's kind of fun. 

Old 12-18-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

I went back to the Dr. yesterday for my 38 week visit.  Not too much more progress.  He said I am at 3 cm dilated.  He is on call tonight and tomorrow night and won't be back on call until after Christmas.  I am secretly hoping to go into labor tonight so I can have my doctor.   It's so much harder to have a natural birth in a hospital in Alabama since midwives are illegal. I trust my OB's decisions during my labor.  I can't help it I just want him there instead of the other on-call doctors that aren't as supportive of natural birth.  I feel kind of guilty though since I'm only 38 weeks. 

Old 12-18-2013, 02:54 PM

I understand wanting your own OB.  I got my OB's backup last time and I was not a huge fan.  In the end, I interacted with him very little, and the nurses at our hospital are almost annoyingly natural-birth friendly so I was good there.  But it's still just a bummer not to have someone you know and trust there.

I wouldn't feel guilty about 38 weeks though.  If we can accept that some babies need to wait until 42 weeks, it makes sense that some are ready at 38.  Now I keep wishing LO out at 36 weeks ... have to keep reminding myself that that's not actually a good thing!  Are you having contractions or cramps or mucus plug or anything?

My only change is that baby is more OA now than ROA.  We'll see if that sticks.  Still high, not dropped at all.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I've had some contractions but nothing on a consistent basis.  I lost parts of my mucus plug everyday Wed.-Sunday last week.  It has finally stopped coming out so I think its all gone.  

Old 12-18-2013, 03:23 PM

Wow kellyshea!!!! Keep us updated!

Old 12-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Don't feel guilty!!! I had my DD at 38 weeks and she was perfectly healthy! And maybe I was a terrible person but I used castor oil with her. She was so low for so long and  it hurt to sit, it hurt to stand and lie down. I couldn't take another full day at work. I understand you wanting your doctor and it seems like things are moving along with you! Can't wait to hear more! 

Happily married to my DH (05/06) and stay-at-home mom to a beautiful daughter energy.gif (01/11) and two sweet angel babies angel.gifangel.gif (2/12 and 11/12) and due Jan 10th with another blessing. 3rdtri.gif
Old 12-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Well I will post what mine have started as- not what I am experiencing right now.  First I generally wake up quite early in the morning (I am not an early riser lol).  My other huge sign is not being able to get in a comfortable position- as in stand up sit down attempt to recline stand  up lay down....  I have never noticed that illusive mucus plug (which is kind of weird considering I have had 5 babies....  

Ok- so now for me- My baby dropped some and is in great position.  Loads of contrax but nothing serious since the early labor at 29 weeks.  I keep praying for a Christmas baby- but I am not holding my breath or anything since the last 2 have been 3 weeks late.  I don't go for internals but I am definitely sitting on a head....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 12-20-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Lower back is so achy today. I've also had 3 bm's this morning. I'm wondering if things might be getting started for me today. Has anyone else had similar symptoms before labor started? I'm not having any contractions right now.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Can we get this stuck at the top - pinned?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 AM

I've hit the "OMG IS IT LABOUR?!" stage already. Every twinge, hunger pang, etc has me watching myself closely. I've started noticing some of the signs of labour, but nothing definitive. I forgot how stressful this can be! Haha

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

joy.gifDD Jan '14

Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 AM

I had some painful contractions (very unusual for me) this weekend, followed by (SORRY!) a nice couple of episodes of the runs so I thought maybe something was happening. 

Nope. 

I'm actually relieved. I need at least another week, maybe two, and then I'll feel ready. 

Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloPanda View Post

I've hit the "OMG IS IT LABOUR?!" stage already. Every twinge, hunger pang, etc has me watching myself closely. I've started noticing some of the signs of labour, but nothing definitive. I forgot how stressful this can be! Haha

I know, every night for a week when I've had more than one contraction in 15 minutes, I think maybe tonight... I'm trying so hard to be chill about it.

So anyway, as of last week I'm at 2 cm and 50% dilated with a low baby.  Contractions have been more painful, but just as infrequent.  They occasionally wake me up at night.  And that's about it!

Oh, I have been feeling an intense need for solitude as well.  I totally want to hole up alone somewhere.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaRRRR View Post

I had some painful contractions (very unusual for me) this weekend, followed by (SORRY!) a nice couple of episodes of the runs so I thought maybe something was happening. 

Nope. 

I'm actually relieved. I need at least another week, maybe two, and then I'll feel ready. 

This is how mine started out this time around! I didn't even stop to think that labor was starting and that is why I was having that issue. But yeah I had contractions, the runs and had been spotting all day (I thought the spotting was just me overdoing it again but nope!) 

Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 AM

Here's hoping that waking up at 5am and feeling compelled to make banana bread is a sign of impending labor... ;-)

My last one started with my water breaking, fortunately soon followed by numerous trips to the bathroom and increasingly regular, if not strong, contractions. A few hours sleep and boom, I woke up in active labor. Oh, I'd also had a compulsive housecleaning session that morning... but as I'm having those urges nearly every day now (because that's what happens when I'm supposed to be on bedrest) I can't make too much of it.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 AM

I cleaned the house n did laundry until midnight last night. Been having backache and feeling loopier than usual. 39 wks & 4 days today... seeing my midwife this afternoon. Wish my water would break already so I didn't have to go to her.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 01-07-2014, 12:13 PM

I mentioned last night on the chat thread that I'm feeling pretty good the last couple days.  Last night DH said, you're in such a good mood, I bet you go into labor tonight.  Such a sweetie.  And obviously wrong.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 AM

My signs: "loose stools" for the past several days

Occasional, mild menstrual-like cramping--something I don't remember noticing w DD until the few days before she was born, but I could be wrong

More noticeable and uncomfortable Braxton Hicks (thought I've also been bad about staying hydrated)

Lots of discharge, though no blood or anything mucus plug-y.

38w2d. Talk me down! I know it's still early.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM

I'm in the same boat, Blanca. Lots of discharge, BH contractions that are starting to get uncomfortable and move into my back, crampiness... No blood, but I've been losing some of my mucous plug for a week or so and had tons of discharge. I'm 37w tomorrow, so I know I have PLENTY of time... blah. 

I was feeling super nest-y last night too. 

joy.gifDD Jan '14

Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM

Wow, so same symptoms, huh? I wish I could remember better what I felt and when with DD. I know labor seemed to have almost no lead-up--I had been 50% effaced and 1 cm dilated for weeks--OB stripped membranes and I had some blood that night--cramping started next day and was labor for real by late afternoon (just felt like very strong menstrual cramps for a long time). This time I feel like there's more going on, but maybe I'm just more attuned...who knows.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Last time was 4 1/2 years ago for me, so I have VERY little memory of how I was feeling. I know I had a lot of back pain/cramping, but things were so mild that I wasn't even aware it was "real" labour until I felt the urge to push. So I have NO idea how things will be this time! My midwives don't do internals, so I don't even know if I'm dilated or anything... which is probably for the best, since then I'd be stressing over that too :P

joy.gifDD Jan '14

Old 01-09-2014, 05:57 PM

I just had two very intense contractions. Hoping that's it for now, I'm not ready!!!

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM

The last 2 nights have been really, really long.  I kind of can't believe I'm still pregnant.  Lots of pain and pressure in my cerivx, pubic symphysis and tailbone coupled with cramping and contractions.  Nothing was ever regular enough to time, but enough to keep me from sleeping.  Last night I slept from 11 pm to 1 am and 4:30-6:30.  Then yesterday and today everything has continued until noon or so and then I feel good again until 9 at night.  The baby is also moving like crazy which doesn't help.  I don't know if s/he has turned posterior and is trying to get in a better spot or what.  I've lost tiny bits of plug today, but nothing major.  Every time I go to the bathroom, I'm afraid I'm going to push the baby out.  ha! 

My mom gets into town in a few hours.  Hoping that piece of mind is enough to let labor start in earnest tonight.  Trying to stay hydrated in the meantime.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 PM

@cwill I feel like I could have written your post word for word! Same stuff happening here, except I know this babe is posterior for sure, and my mom is not coming to town!

I have been researching how to do a cervical dilation check on myself, and I think I am going to try....just to see where things are. Even if it doesn't give me any answers or a timeline.....I just want to know that all these contractions are getting me somewhere!

I also have a weird burning sensation on the skin next to my perineum/under my pubic bone on my left side...there is no damage to the skin there, I think it is a nerve thing? Referred pain from my pubic symphysis separation, I believe. 

I actually am hoping to not go into labor this weekend, even though I don't really want to be pregnant any longer. My midwife assistant/who happens to be my good friend, is out of town for midwifery school for the weekend. If all goes well, I asked that she be my primary caregiver during the labor and birth...and I just really want her to be there! Her school is located about 2.5/3 hours away, and in theory she could make it in at night if need be, but I don't want to put that kind of pressure on her! I am going to take it easy this weekend, enjoy some quality family time, and then really ramp up walking, sex, etc. on Sunday late afternoon again to try to get things going!

Old 01-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Oddly enough I've been having fewer contractions over the last day or two than I had been... perhaps a little rest before the storm?! And I keep pooping several times a day and thinking - ooooh, maybe something's happening?? But no, not yet, LOL. Have been cooking and cleaning like crazy but apparently it's not the true "nesting" as it keeps going on and there's still no baby.... but then, we eat things up and the house gets dirty every day, so I have to keep it up to be ready! Lots of pressure/pain in my pelvic joints and pubic bone and twinges in my cervix that feel very preparatory for labor pains. (Smile... of course I want this to happen... am I really ready for this???)

Neaera, there's nothing too special about checking dilation (I was almost surprised to learn how un-scientific it was when I was taught...) but it can be tricky to do on yourself, especially with a big belly in the way! Basically you just reach in until you find your cervix by locating the hole or dimple in the center - the problem is, it's often a waaaaay up in there. Sometimes squatting can help, or rocking your hips forward might bring it into reach. I'm finding this time around the baby is not as far engaged as it was last time (no surprise) and so it's still very high, I can reach the end of my cervix but not really feel the effacement (how thin it is) because my fingers just aren't long enough! It is kind of fun to be able to feel the progress, whether or not it actually means anything about how soon labor might begin or how long it might last aside...

Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM

I lost my first bit of plug today! 37.5. Exciting! I figure i will go to 40 weeks, but nice to see something that might mean progress. I cannot reach my cervix to save my life, so no clue how things are going. Hopefully leaving the EPO as high as i can get it is good enough?

User Tag List