March Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been away for a little while but would love to start up chatting with everyone again! Atlas will be 11 weeks this Saturday. Time seems to be flying by probably because of all the craziness going on! He is getting chubby and cuter and cuter everyday. His little personality is starting to show as well and it is just so fun! 

Finally got DD potty trained woohoo! So back to just one in diapers so that is nice. She is doing great with it and she is also a very good big sister. She loves her little brother and is a great helper. 

One of my very close friends is getting married in August and asked me to be her MoH and I'm so excited but extremely stressed out by it too. Its so hard to do much of anything when you have two little ones and one being a nursling and my pump decided it doesn't want to work. So he goes every where with me for now. I think I just need one new little part for my pump to work again, if not I don't know what I will do since we can't really afford a new one right now. 

Anyone else still around?? *

Happily married to my DH (05/06) and stay-at-home mom to a beautiful daughter energy.gif (01/11) and two sweet angel babies angel.gifangel.gif (2/12 and 11/12) and due Jan 10th with another blessing. 3rdtri.gif
#2 of 31 Old 03-13-2014, 03:19 PM

I still check, too but have to peck things out on my iPhone so I rarely post.

This is spring break for older kids and my mom had to leave to pack up her stuff so I'm all alone and I'm going insane.

Uli is a lot more laid back than his brother was and ... I don't want to jinx it, but right how he's one of those mythical "sleeps through the night" kind of babies. He's six weeks and sleeps a huge chunk 5-7 hours more fort than not.

He had been sleeping most of the day, too, but that has slacked off and he's awake more. He's like his brother, though and needs to he entertained, though he will coo at the ceiling fan for 10 minutes while he's on the changing table.

He's huge, too, which doesn't surprise me. I had to put the 3-6 month stuff away already. He's averaging a pound a week weight gain, and is close to 14 lbs. (at six weeks). I call him MegaBaby.

He did sprout up with the 6-week baby acne. Anyone else? It came on very suddenly this week and looks awful.

I'm completely healed, which is great because last time my recovery took forever.

#3 of 31 Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM

He snuzzles most of the hair off the sides of his head so he's rockin a sweet mullet.
#4 of 31 Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM

I'm on my phone and nursing so just subbing for now. But hi!
#5 of 31 Old 03-13-2014, 03:49 PM

Lillian is 8 wks and the baby acne is going away. She's so much fun. My tailbone is slowly healing, I can sit fairly comfortably now! Dh is having a hard time cause work is stressful for him right now - he loves spending time with her but he also needs a break sometimes!!he has work travel next week mon to wed and I'm nervous!

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#6 of 31 Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Also meant to ask for nursing necklace recommendations. I'd like to get a nice one, but also want it to be secure and good quality.

#7 of 31 Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Polyhymnia- We just had a natural parenting store open a few minutes away from us (so excited about this!) and they sell Chewbeads which I really want but I have a hard time thinking of paying $35 for them... But I have never had a nursing/teething necklace before so I can't recommend one from experience. And good luck during your husbands travels! Lillian is such a cutie pie! 

Pamela- Uli is so cute - Megababy! haha I was excited that Atlas had doubled his birth weight at 2 months but now I don't feel as great.. j/k Atlas has baby acne pop up here and there still, but not nearly as bad as at first. And he does the same thing with his head and has a mullet as well. And that is awesome the he sleeps so well already! 

I am pretty sure Atlas is already starting to teethe. He wants to chomp on everything and drools a lot! He was starting to get really fussy too so we ran to the natural parenting store and got him an Amber necklace. It was like magic... no joke! The next day he slept most of the day and was super smiley! So I am sold that they do indeed work and recommend them! He looks really cute in it too! :wink

Happily married to my DH (05/06) and stay-at-home mom to a beautiful daughter energy.gif (01/11) and two sweet angel babies angel.gifangel.gif (2/12 and 11/12) and due Jan 10th with another blessing. 3rdtri.gif
#8 of 31 Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 AM

I will look at those too. I have only worn necklaces a couple of times since she was born but she loves to grab on to them, and she's been getting a bit distracted trying to look around while nursing... Thinking a necklace might keep her from turning my nipples into elastic bands... But that gives me the idea to check at the hospital nursing boutique, they sell everything there at cost which is nice.

I'm excited about your store for you! Nice!

Dh is working from home today as we have a dr appt to go to this afternoon, it's nice having him home but also hard because I've had to keep L pretty quiet for some conference calls. Oh well.

#9 of 31 Old 03-15-2014, 06:15 PM

Hi, I found the Mothering forums after having my LO. This whole community is really neat. I had my DS January 11th, he's my fourth but it's been awhile since I've had a baby. His name is Joseph and we just hit 9 weeks. He is a VERY high needs baby. He is mellowing a bit but definitely a lot harder than my other three. We are an attachment parenting, co-sleeping, baby-wearing family. Joseph has had reflux which I've mostly resolved with diet changes on my part and a chiropractor recommended by my midwife. I look forward to hearing about all your LO's.
#10 of 31 Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 AM

Hi MalinoisMama, welcome!

So things are pretty crummy here right now. After 7 easy'ish weeks, it's like everyone's honeymoon period is coming to an end just as I start back to work this weekend. Kat is still pretty mellow, but is awake more and more and needing more attention. She's sleeping less at night too and even when she's asleep she's restless and fidgety and cosleeping is keeping me awake.  DS is totally worn out after my parents' visit and is being just horrible today and is apparently not going to nap either. I don't know if I'm having a slightly delayed PPD or if the IUD I got a couple weeks ago is causing the problems, but I feel totally incapable of caring for these kids and have spent the last few days alternating between illogically angry and illogically sad and weepy. Since I spent most of my pregnancy like that, I was really happy for it to be gone and am feeling pretty defeated that it's revisiting. DS and I are also getting over a lingering stomach bug, which is just adding to my bad mood.

Sorry to unload like that, but it's been really crappy for the last week or so. I'm dreaming of a vacation all by myself again. I really need some coping mechanisms for days like this. I've not showered, barely eaten or had anything to drink, barely time to collect my thoughts or a moment without DS hanging on me. I think we're going to go for a walk shortly to see if I can get him to sleep in there, but - and this sounds horrible - I don't want to do it because I have to wear Kat because we only have a single stroller. I just want to not be touching anyone for a while.  :(

#11 of 31 Old 03-19-2014, 05:41 PM

cwill, we talked in my baby class about two things, one is that PPD can start any time in the first year, and also that the Mirena can worsen symptoms of PPD or cause them if you didn't have them.  I am sorry you are experiencing those feelings though :( 

Lillian has been so much fussier the last week too. She's awake a lot more and seems to have a lot more needs that I can't figure out, right at the time when she's starting to be much more alert and aware, so sleeping has gotten much harder for her too. How old is your DS? I am sorry you ar eboth getting over a bug too.  Any chance of getting a double stroller??

#12 of 31 Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Cwill-

You sound like I did last time at the onset of my PPD.

I got help when I turned a corner into psychosis and had visions of hurting my baby that were hard to resist (specifically biting his ear off -- it made no sense).

If your feelings get more intense, I'd definitely see someone about it. Right now, talking, diet, exercise and just getting some rest and relaxation time might help tremendously.

Do you have anyone to talk to?

Take care of yourself.
#13 of 31 Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 PM

I hope it's not the Mirena. :/ Although I haven't loved it so far. It's just my best option for BC if I want any chance of having another. I know PPD can start significantly after. But it also seems strange that I didn't have it with DS.

I tried talking with DH a little, but he was pretty unhelpful. I'll give it a few more days and see how things go. If DS can get back in his groove, life might get better again. I'm sorry you had to deal with psychosis, Pamela. That's so scary. I hope we don't go that route.

Ugh, I'm on my phone and it's impossible to see what I've written. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for checking in guys.
#14 of 31 Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 PM

OK. Quick happy post. I love seeing everyone's babies! So sweet. They are all getting so big! Kat is 9 weeks today. She was 11 lbs last week at the hospital when I had her tongue tie released. She has incredible smiles and is cooing a little, which DS never did and I love. She plays in a haphazard way on her mat. I know babies tend to have a zen quality to them, but she always looks so calm and wise and otherworldly.

DS is dealing with major jealousy and a 2 year old's inability to express it. But there have been so many sweet moments too. He tells her what he's doing all the time. He loves to help change her. Today he just held her hand while I changed her, which is so out of character for him. He gives suggestions on how to make her feel better when she's crying.
#15 of 31 Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 PM

That sounds so sweet.

I also got a mirena, last week. Feeling mixed about it because we have infertility issues but I don't want to rob Lillian of her babyhood or have two very littles...

Here's Lillian in a vest I made her

And having some playtime

I love her so much but today for the first time I was wistfully remembering what it was like to just binge watch tv shows.... I only watch three shows and I'm weeks behind on all of them.

#16 of 31 Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 PM

So glad to see people turning up to chat again - I missed it! We're doing well just incredibly busy with a move, will write more when I can!
#17 of 31 Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 PM

Polyhymnia I love the vest you made your LO! Did you use a pattern you could direct me to? I've been wanting to make Joseph one.

I wanted to share some success we have been having with him. Since birth he had been such an unhappy baby. Crying a lot and generally unhappy a lot. I changed my diet around and helped with some it seemed. But the chiropractor has helped so much! She discovered he had suffered birth trauma in his back and neck. She has been working with him and has most of his unhappiness resolved. A few more sessions next week and she thought he'd be fine. What I thought was going to be this extremely high needs child has turned into a real sweetie. I had no idea birth could be so hard on their little bodies, being its part of the natural process. Just thought I would share in case it could help someone else suffering with unhappy baby.

I would love to see more pics of all the babies.
#18 of 31 Old 03-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Malinosmama I am so happy for your success. A woman in my baby class had such success with a craniosacral therapist too.

I used this pattern, http://www.woolentravels.com/shop/icelaska-vest. I made the 3mo size and L is 12-13 lbs, in size 3mo clothes. I love it because it has a shawl collar which keeps her little neck warm but it doesn't bunch under her chin in a carrier.

Here's a picture!

#19 of 31 Old 03-22-2014, 02:01 PM

That's a super cute vest, polyhymnia. I've been on a long vacation from knitting. Still working on DS's sweater from Christmas... oops. I knit one sweater for Kat. I'll see if I can find a picture with her in it.

Malinoismama, that's so great that chiro helped out your LO! What a relief it must be.

AFM, I'm hoping I was just having a few down days after my folks left. I've been doing really well the last 3 days. And Kat is back to sleeping well at night - we got 7 hours last night, glory hallelujah. I'm on-call this weekend, but there hasn't been any work so we're having a chill Saturday. Kids are both sleeping right now. I got to sit outside in the cold and sunshine and drink a cup of tea all.by.myself.  ahhhhhh....

#20 of 31 Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Malinoismama- My DD had reflux and colic and we finally took her to the chiropractor and it helped so much for her. So after I had Atlas we wanted to get him in right away to see if he was out of whack from his birth, but he was perfect. I think it was the difference in their births that set them apart maybe? Glad it is helping your LO!

Cwill-I hope things are getting better. I have had some pretty rough days with my DD too. For the most part she is pretty good but she has her days and I think I might lose it.

We have all been doing pretty well here. I really can't complain much. DD can be a bit of a handful and has been extra whiney lately but hasn't been driving me too crazy. Lol I know more stress is coming since DD just enrolled back into college to get his MA. This is going to be fun.. I think it is great but almost more stressful that he goes online so I will need to try to keep the kids quiet. And it doesn't help that spring doesn't seem to be coming to Ohio any time soon. Ugh I just want to get out in the fresh air for a nice long walk! I have been loving wearing Atlas, especially after scoring a brand new Ergo from a second hand shop for $45! I was pretty excited about that! He loves being snuggled up to Mama! He is my sweet boy and I guess I call him that a lot because now DD calls him that too. She is always saying, "aww don't cry, sweet boy." She gets so excited when she gets him to smile too.

#21 of 31 Old 03-25-2014, 01:30 PM

Tspencer when you wear you LO in the Ergo are you using an insert? I have the insert and it seems sooo bulky and he doesn't seem comfortable. So I've been slinging him instead. Ergo says not to put them in it younger than four months with no inset but I know moms who have and say its fine. I'm an old pro at my ring sling so just keep using that. I'm new to the Ergo and haven't figured it out yet.

Polyhymnia tbanks so much for the link to the vest. It's soooo cute! I will be making one.

Cwill I'm sorry you have had some tough days. I have to say women's hormones are just evil and downright unfair. If we aren't balanced just right we get all mental. I've been really keeping an eye on myself and taking a B vitamin complex that is really helping me. Also chamomile teas and things like that. Trying to keep calm and sane. Lol!
#22 of 31 Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM

Anybody else losing hair yet? Mine started last week. It seems so early! Luckily I got my hair cut a few weeks ago so I'm only losing tons of short hair instead of tons of obnoxiously long hair. Maybe that was the hormonal nuttiness that was getting to me.

I've been ring slinging too lately. DS still occupies the ergo so won't use that for Kat for a while, but it's probably my favorite once they're a little more steady. I want to make a mei tai for Kat - hoping to do it this week because we're planning on camping for a few days next week and it would be nice to have a carrier more suited to hiking - but things are getting backed up. Oh well, we've hiked plenty in the moby as well.

#23 of 31 Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM

I'm losing hair too! I hate that part. You feel so bald after awhile. lol! Hope it tapers off at some point.
#24 of 31 Old 03-25-2014, 04:41 PM

I'm scared of the postpartum shed this time because my hair is the longest it's been in years. There will be wookie nuggets everywhere!

Uli had his 8 week checkup today and he's 15 lbs, up from 8 at birth, and 23.5 inches, up from 21.5.

His baby acne got horrible and the doc thinks it's probably eczema. Boo.

I'm also going to take him to a chiropractor tomorrow because I think he might have some kinks. He strongly favors looking to the left, and the doctor wants us to try to encourage him to exercise those muscles the other direction.

He actually LOVES tummy time. Weird!

He's been a little more fussy lately, but nothing compared to my older son.

#25 of 31 Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 PM

Kat is 11.5 lbs and 23 inches. She's been feeling so heavy! Her acne cleared up 3 weeks ago or so. She had it pretty bad for a while.

#26 of 31 Old 03-25-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to have a ring sling, but unfortunately I don't have one yet. I don't have the insert but I read you could roll a small blanket up and put it under his bum and that has been working nicely. I use the Moby more when I wear him around the house or for longer periods, but if we are running into a store the ergo is faster and easier. DD loves the ergo too. I was showing her how she can ride on my back and she gets a kick out of that. I am a little newer to babywearing. I wore DD but not as much. I want to see if I can start wearing them both on walks to help with that workout. winky.gif

I haven't noticed losing much hair yet. Maybe a little more than normal but nothing too bad. I will have to weigh and measure Atlas tomorrow to see how much he has grown. Last time I weighed him he was 12lbs (6lbs 15oz at birth) and he seems much larger. I have a hand print from DD when she was 5 months and Atlas' hand is already that size and he is only 3 months. Man, I can't believe he is 3 months already.....

#27 of 31 Old 03-26-2014, 01:14 PM

Well, I finally took Uli to the chiropractor today and wish I had done it sooner. His clavicle was out, likely from my fast pushing.

It was so neat to see where she was working and how he'd go from crying to cooing instantly.

Hopefully this helps with his car seat hatred and avoiding the left breast.
#28 of 31 Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 PM

PamelaRRRR! Oh my gosh same thing with our LO. He hated the left breast, I kept thinking it was a milk let down thing. Hated the car seat and would scream. Since seeing the chiropractor and her working on his neck he's nursing so much nicer on the left side and has stopped almost all screaming during nursing. He's content in the car now and so happy at home. I too wish we had taken him sooner. But better late than never.

Tspencer I love my ring sling. We use all day long. He spends hours in it happily. It's so easy to put on and off. Hope you can get one.

Cwill-Kat is gorgeous!!!! Love all her hair and the baby sweater is super cute.

#29 of 31 Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Aw, poor Uli. I'm glad he's feeling better. That makes a lot of sense about having a preferred side to nurse because it's uncomfortable.

Kat has basically been attached to my boob since 4 am. It's getting a little old. Hate to complain because she's usually so easy, but come on! About to try sneaking away for a shower.
#30 of 31 Old 03-28-2014, 04:18 PM

I've decided to do monthly "birthday" photos (both of my boys were born on the 28th) with Uli and his brother Ike for scale (instead of onesie stickers).

Here's month 2:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page