Mothering Forum banner

POAS - Anyone still doing this?

486 views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  lmevans 
#1 ·
Okay, I'm not ashamed to admit....I bought a pregnancy test today for the sole purpose of seeing if the line got darker. I got a BFP on 1/21 well over a week ago.. but my appointment is not until 2/6. I ran out of tests soon after my BFP. I've been lurking on other boards and seeing all the progression lines from other ladies and I couldn't help but to POAS again. POASaholic here. Yup. No judgements right?

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post

No.

I've got to hit up the dollar store for more tests.

Or order some internet cheapies.

PEE ON ALL THE TESTS!
:energy
Phew! I am not alone. Speaking of Dollar Store tests someone has depleted the stock at my local store! And I know it wasn't me cause I only bought five last week when I got my BFP. :-/

#5 ·
I've only taken one... a year-expired digital. But since I haven't started AF, and would be CD 34 now, with 28 days being my normal, I am ok taking just the one... there's nothing I can do either way. I thought about taking another, just because the one I took was expired, but I figure that it would have given me a false negative, not a false positive

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post

I've only taken one... a year-expired digital. But since I haven't started AF, and would be CD 34 now, with 28 days being my normal, I am ok taking just the one... there's nothing I can do either way. I thought about taking another, just because the one I took was expired, but I figure that it would have given me a false negative, not a false positive
I love your resolve! I wasn't a POASaholic with my first pregnancy. I bought one pack of tests and that was it.

I don't know what has gotten into me this time!

#7 ·
No judgment whatsoever - I totally understand you
:wink

I have decided to stop at three positive BFP's though. What's meant to be will be, it's totally out of my hands now and I've accepted it (to a degree, haha).

It's too bad one can't buy the really simple cheap ones around here (just the paper with no huge plastic encasing around it and they worked just fine) like you can in the Czech Republic where I found out I was pregnant the first time around. I really think its atrocious how much packaging and plastic comes with all the HPT's … it really makes me feel very wasteful.

Not saying that you are wasteful …

#8 ·
LOL no judgements here! I am still doing it! I just can't help myself! I want to buy a digital just so I can see it plain and clear but the 88 cent WM tests are good enough. I can't spend over $10 on ONE pregnancy test!

#9 ·
I took another today because I've had sine light spotting. Not sure yet if I'll get to stay in this Ddc, but at least the line was much darker today. I had a blood draw today, probably another next week. In the meantime, I still have two more tests!! Muwahaha!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelmina View Post

No judgment whatsoever - I totally understand you

I have decided to stop at three positive BFP's though. What's meant to be will be, it's totally out of my hands now and I've accepted it (to a degree, haha).

It's too bad one can't buy the really simple cheap ones around here (just the paper with no huge plastic encasing around it and they worked just fine) like you can in the Czech Republic where I found out I was pregnant the first time around. I really think its atrocious how much packaging and plastic comes with all the HPT's … it really makes me feel very wasteful.

Not saying that you are wasteful …
Oh I totally get it! I'm a dollar store cheapie tester myself. And if I hadn't got a BFP this time around I would have gotten the internet cheapies for the next cycle.

Had to buy a regular test today though cause the dollar store was all out....again. And Walmart is a good 20 minutes away from me. I wont be getting anymore though, I think my DH might try to have me committed if I did!

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post

LOL no judgements here! I am still doing it! I just can't help myself! I want to buy a digital just so I can see it plain and clear but the 88 cent WM tests are good enough. I can't spend over $10 on ONE pregnancy test!
Yeah I'm considering buying a digital one next week because I'd like to see it plain and clear... I don't know.. the one I took was also a year old (like SierraBella) so I'm not sure it was accurate...

I feel silly since I can FEEL my body changing, why is it important to have the visual indicator? haha but I'm just excited I want it confirmed by something other than myself so I can bask in the reality.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmo View Post

I took another today because I've had sine light spotting. Not sure yet if I'll get to stay in this Ddc, but at least the line was much darker today. I had a blood draw today, probably another next week. In the meantime, I still have two more tests!! Muwahaha!
How soon can they tell from a blood test? Just curious...

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamhim View Post

Okay, I'm not ashamed to admit....I bought a pregnancy test today for the sole purpose of seeing if the line got darker. I got a BFP on 1/21 well over a week ago.. but my appointment is not until 2/6. I ran out of tests soon after my BFP. I've been lurking on other boards and seeing all the progression lines from other ladies and I couldn't help but to POAS again. POASaholic here. Yup. No judgements right?
haha, no shame! Did the same today, again...

I want to buy a digital one just to see PREGNANT! ;)

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynRose View Post

How soon can they tell from a blood test? Just curious...
They took a blood draw yesterday, and my hcg was74 and progesterone was 28.9 at like 3 weeks and 5 days. I go back next week to see if those numbers go up. The Hcg should be doubling every 48 hrs or less. THough, I think you can still have hcg double for a little while and still maybe not have a viable pregnancy? I'm not sure. I hate being unsure, but that is what conceiving and early pregnancy is like for me. I was hoping not to have to go through that this time, but I guess I was wrong. Still just a tiny bit of spotting each day. :(

#15 ·
Not this pregnancy, but totally did it with my son. No shame in it!

Kate, blood tests can be positive even before HPTs. My hCG was 26 at 9 DPO (3w 2d), and I had the faintest possible line on my home test.

Marmo, yeah, unfortunately good doubling time isn't a guarantee, but it is the most reassuring thing you can get at this point. I actually read the other day that any doubling time under 72 hours is good. When is your next test?

Reactions: Right of Passage
#18 ·
I used mine all up, too. And spotting is gone, and blood tests are looking good so far. Doubling time is 38 hours. One more blood draw, and an u/s in a couple weeks. I'm starting to believe this is really happening, and it's TERRIFYING!!!!!!!! lol

#19 ·
So can you actually get a false positive on those thing, or are you guys just enjoying the repeated affirmations of pregnancy?
smile.gif

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by citymagnolia View Post

So can you actually get a false positive on those thing, or are you guys just enjoying the repeated affirmations of pregnancy?
smile.gif
Nah, most of us do it just to see if the positive line gets darker. Darker line = higher HCG. Not the best way to judge if the pregnancy is progressing but it helps to ease our minds! :)

#21 ·
Ha! Yes, yes. Still testing. I had bought a multipack of those tiny strips from amazon-50 LH strips and 20 HCG strips for a ridiculously low price. So, I've done a few more.
It's fun to see the confirmation, I'm a kinda anxious person, and this will be my first, so.... Near-instant reassurance!

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiepants View Post

Ha! Yes, yes. Still testing. I had bought a multipack of those tiny strips from amazon-50 LH strips and 20 HCG strips for a ridiculously low price. So, I've done a few more.
It's fun to see the confirmation, I'm a kinda anxious person, and this will be my first, so.... Near-instant reassurance!
:) Its definitely guilt-free when you get the tests at an awesome cost!

#23 ·
I bought the expensive ones this time because I hate the "faint line" of the dollar store cheapies. These are the kind that tell you how many weeks along you are and they are digital. So I did take another test today even after a positive from the clinic because I wanted to see it turn to say 2-3 weeks. AND IT DID! Good luck out there you all.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasiren View Post

I bought the expensive ones this time because I hate the "faint line" of the dollar store cheapies. These are the kind that tell you how many weeks along you are and they are digital. So I did take another test today even after a positive from the clinic because I wanted to see it turn to say 2-3 weeks. AND IT DID! Good luck out there you all.
You are right about that, $ stores tests do give the faintest lines ever. And it usually takes the full ten minutes to develop.

#26 ·
Yep. I found out on Sunday. I just did another one of the internet cheapies last night to see if it got the line faster and darker. It did. I'm totally willing to spend a few dollars to ease my mind until my first appointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.