Mothering Forum banner

No ultrasounds?

399 views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  HappyCianci 
#1 ·
Is anyone skipping ultrasounds and doppler exposure for baby? .

Reactions: chelleamoon
#2 ·
We did last time, and probably will again, except in the case of a real emergency/medical concern. Unfortunately, last time despite going a whole pregnancy without even dopper use, we ended up having constant fetal monitering for 18 hours during the birth.
shake.gif

We look forward to being able to hear a little heartbeat through the stethoscope in a few months!

Reactions: Right of Passage
#4 ·
Last pregnancy I had an early ultrasound, even though here in Sweden they don't routinely offer those, because of persistent stabbing pain on the left side - suspected ectopic pregnancy. Fortunately enough it was nothing and the pregnancy was healthy and fine. I'm starting to feel a little shooting pain on the left again and while logically, I'm thinking it's the same thing like last time - nothing to worry about - I am getting a little concerned, wondering if I should consult someone about it. That said, it is still a bit too early to see anything on the ultrasound as I'm only 5w4d (or so as I'm not sure about the first day of my LMP - oops!). So I'm waiting it out right now ...

Other than that, I will get the diagnostic ultrasound around 12 weeks to rule out neural tube defects and then at 20 weeks for a full anatomy scan. Swedes are minimalistic not only in their design :) Most folks end up with only one ultrasound throughout the entire pregnancy and they can turn down even that one if they want to. I'm too much of a worrier to turn these down.

#5 ·
We won't be having any unless the kids are really insistent that we find out the sex of this baby. I am sure of my dates, so no need for us.

#7 ·
I've only had one and that was during my second pregnancy, when I did prenatal with hospital midwives and they were insistent. They thought they saw something that could point to Downs. I worried for a week and got a second one that ruled it out. No ultrasounds or doppler for me unless there is an emergency! I love our fetoscope though. I used it all the time to connect with the baby last time and I'm sure I will this time as well.
smile.gif

Reactions: Right of Passage
#8 ·
We usually do allow the midwife to use a doppler. In our first six pregnancies, we did not have any ultrasounds. With our last, we did have one due to some medical issues. It didn't save him, so I'm not sure we will have any this time. I sure would like to know the gender, though.

#9 ·
I think for sure a 20 week US to check sex and to see if we should be expecting a baby with issues. I like to be prepared. But honestly I am gonna be 38 in a few weeks and medically that puts me in an entirely different range of "problems" and I am not sure what the midwife will recommend for that. I was 33 last time I was pregnant and they didn't mind that I didn't want any more intervention. I may need to do an early US too. As few as possible for me though.

#11 ·
Hi all! I'm always on the fence about this one. I like the idea of being really low intervention. But my experience last year with a pregnancy that ended in a missed miscarriage makes me want to do the 7-week u/s that our fertility clinic recommends (this embryo was conceived by IUI - I am in a same-sex marriage, so we used donor sperm). Last October I hadn't planned to have an ultrasound when I went for my gynecological follow-up but the gynecologist offered it and at the end I said sure. Then she didn't see anything at all, and declared it a missed miscarriage. I took cytotec to pass the tissues -- and if I hadn't accepted the ultrasound, we wouldn't have known until it came out on its own, and who knows how long that might have taken... So even though that was pretty traumatic, I would rather know early if something is clearly not right.

Thus, we will do the 7 week, and a "duo test" at 13 weeks to rule out severe genetic disorders, and then the 20 week, and that's it.

#12 ·
Hi ybutterfly,

The same goes for myself - discovered growth had stopped at 5 weeks during my 8 week ultrasound and then eventually miscarried. I will look forward to getting an ultrasound this time at 7 weeks to confirm everything is on track....not that something unfortunate can not happen after that but at least you know at that point where things are at.

All the best to you!!

#13 ·
We will do a short ultrasound later in the pregnancy just to check for any major defects that would mandate immediate/extensive care for baby immediately after birth. No dopplers here.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

I'd like to do doppler only until fetoscope can be used and get only the one mid-pregnancy ultrasound.
can I ask why? If you aren't worried about the risks of dopplers why switch later to fetoscope?

#16 ·
I don't think its completely black and white. Most things end up being dose dependent. I don't want to completely go without but I'd like to keep the dose on the lower side. Plus, my son really hated the doppler.

#17 ·
I didn't do any u/s with my 1st & 3rd babies. I usually wait to hear the h/b until we can do fetoscope and only let them do doppler near the end when I think the risk is significantly less or possibly nonexistant. Honestly it is so lame, but I am thinking I might do the 20 week u/s this pregnancy just because I don't know that I can't stand not know the gender. Lame lame lame.. but I want to have the right set of clothes out & knit in the right color, etc.

#18 ·
My first 3 were home births...standard doppler use, and one u/s at around 20 weeks. My 4th pregnancy ended in a missed miscarriage (didn't find out until I requested a u/s at 12 weeks...I *knew* something wasn't right...the whole pregnancy felt 'different' and I started spotting non stop at 11 weeks). The u/s showed an empty sac (which was helpful emotionally), but a large yolk sac and large SCH. After waiting an additional 4 weeks without officially miscarrying, I decided on a D&C.

This baby will be another home birth (God willing)...my midwife has since switched over to fetoscope exclusively. I will likely get a 20 week scan though :) It would be fun to have a "surprise", but I'd like to be prepared for any concerns too.

#19 ·
I would like to have less exposure than my second pregnancy (I had several US for various reasons). I will use parallel care again with a regular ob/gyn midwife and homebirth midwife. My hb midwife uses a fetoscope and no US, but the regular one will do at least one US (I want an anatomy scan to make sure we're good to go for a homebirth) and use a dopplar for the heartbeat. I like the idea of no US, but as a former NICU nurse, I've seen too many major birth defects to be comfortable not knowing if there's a major heart defect, anencephaly, diaphragmatic hernia, etc.

#20 ·
Nope. I'll be getting ultrasounds. At least the early transvaginal (I've had a missed miscarriage before) and the 20 week scan. And the doctor will use the doppler at each visit. If I go past my due date again I'll also do the ultrasounds that check amniotic fluid levels and where they have you hooked up to the fetal heartrate monitor. (I seriously can't remember what that's called right now.)

#21 ·
We haven't really talked about it yet. I have thought for a while that "next time" I wanted no ultrasounds or Doppler use. We'll see what DH thinks, and how I'm doing emotionally this time. Last time was our rainbow baby, and being pregnant after a loss was emotionally trying for me. I bought a Doppler and used it regularly until baby was moving on a regular basis. While I knew the risks, I also knew it was helping me bond with the baby, and helping my mental/emotional health. After a successful pregnancy, I'm hoping I won't need that crutch this time.

We are planning an out of hospital birth, and I can see how a quick u/s could be reassuring, I'm terms of looking for birth defects and things.

#22 ·
I didn't have an ultrasound with my first, and I'm not planning to have one with this baby either unless we suspect a problem. We listened to the heartbeat with a Doppler device at many of my prenatal appointments with #1. However, I have since learned that the Doppler device delivers more ultrasound waves than a visual ultrasound, so I will probably skip the Doppler this time too. I hate to wait until 20 weeks to hear with the fetoscope, though. It's so reassuring to hear the heartbeat.

#24 ·
No Doppler or u/s here. We will only use fetoscope during labor, too, unless there is a pressing reason for Doppler.

(edited because my phone can't spell!)

#25 ·
I'll check for initial heartbeat with doppler and follow up with fetoscope/pinnard horn.

My partner doesn't want me having any ultrasounds this time since we had some last time and it was a headache more than anything --they found some soft markers, freaked me out, and the ultrasound tech had accidentally written in my chart that there WAS (instead of was NOT) internal funneling of the cervix, so I was on bedrest for three days until I could have another ultrasound. It was so stupid and heartbreaking. I'm happy to wait.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeams View Post

I'll check for initial heartbeat with doppler and follow up with fetoscope/pinnard horn.

My partner doesn't want me having any ultrasounds this time since we had some last time and it was a headache more than anything --they found some soft markers, freaked me out, and the ultrasound tech had accidentally written in my chart that there WAS (instead of was NOT) internal funneling of the cervix, so I was on bedrest for three days until I could have another ultrasound. It was so stupid and heartbreaking. I'm happy to wait.
Wow, how awful! I would have been so mad that someone else's mistake caused so much anxiety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.