Mothering Forum banner

Anyone not doing 1st trimester blood tests?

532 views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  kcc153 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm wondering what others are doing about the usual blood work they like to do in the first trimester. I would like to decline the tests, but I also don't want to start off being adversarial. The main reason for wanting to decline is that we are paying out of pocket for this birth (at least, I think so, unless by some miracle the ACA has mandated changes to my crappy insurance- I still have to find out about this). Anyway, I know from experience that this blood panel costs about $500 because I had to pay for it with my last birth. Since I already know that I'm not Rh - , don't have HIV, etc., I don't see why I need all these expensive tests. I am willing to have any tests my doctor can convince me are truly necessary, but not all the other stuff.

Has anyone successfully declined these tests with an OB? (I know it would be different with a MW, but I don't have that option right now)

Thanks!

#2 ·
An OB panel alone shouldn't cost $500! Was that including some genetic screening or extra stuff?

Remember, it's your birth, your baby. If you really don't want any testing at all you can decline. Try not to take their reaction to heart if it's negative. I'm guessing they'd at least want to check your hemoglobin/iron level. It's completely up to you. Good luck!

#4 ·
I had blood work with #1 and 2. Not sure what was ran either time, or how much it cost the spirit time. The second time it was $75.00 I think. My midwife has used the info from #2 for the next 2 pregnancies. It is $120 through my current midwife, If I had to do them now.

#5 ·
It absolutely can cost that much, and more, if you don't have insurance. Lab work (like much else in medicine) has an insanely high sticker price.

I declined all but the CBC and some thyroid tests I wanted done, but that was with a CNM. At least in my state, there is mandatory testing for several STDs (HIV, Hep B, and syphilis, I think?) before delivery. Though I don't know anything about enforcement details - like if it's the sort of thing the doctor could get prosecuted for if they don't do them, or what. I'm moving to a new state, so that was my out for now. I'm also Rh+, confident about my lack of exposure to disease, and paying out-of-pocket (though mercifully with insurance discounts and some employer-provided HSA funds), so I have a similar desire to avoid unnecessary testing!

#7 ·
I'm RH- as well. Did you have rhogam after your first birth? One of the reasons I personally did opt for blood test was to ensure that I didn't have any RH antibodies, because that would be a huge issue if I had somehow become sensitized (even though risk theoretically very small). That is a tough call though, and I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation!

#9 ·
Wow that is expensive. I have had to pay out of pocket for the blood work with all 3 of my kids. The highest I paid was $180 but the rest were all closer to $100. I would explain the cost factor to the OB. I am trying to think but besides the RH issue (not an issue for me), I can't think of anything that would need to be done in the first trimester specifically. You will certainly need to do lab work toward the end (to birth with an OB) so you could probably tack any extras on at that point and save overall.

#10 ·
MonkeyScience- yes, DH is RH+. We knew that ahead of time, and I declined the antepartum rhogam. We did a heel prick at birth and since DD was also RH+, I got the rhogam. I expect to do the same this time around as well.

Interestingly, DH and DD are both sickle cell anemia carriers, which is another one of those things that only impact a small percentage of the population (mostly african americans). But, I recently learned that because they have sc trait, both are immune to malaria. Kind of makes sense- sickle cell disease is a devastating disease, but protection against malaria is obviously very beneficial.

#12 ·
In our state, there is mandatory STD testing so there's no opting out of that at our OB office. As far as genetic/chromosomal testing, it's not required but highly recommended with my age. We won't go the amnio route since that's so invasive and results in a doubly high miscarriage rate with twins but there's bloodwork screening we will likely do so we can feel prepared for whoever our babies are and will be.

#14 ·
We aren't doing any testing this time around. Not currently seeing a provider, but if I was I would still refuse. But that's why I'm not seeing a provider lol. I'm Rh- and DH is +, I declined the 28 week Rhogam but consented to the postpartum one once I found out DS was +. Probably there wasn't any risk because I didn't have a traumatic birth, but sensitization is such a huge thing I didn't feel like risking it.

#15 ·
I'm doing the blood tests, because I am most likely having a hospital birth unless we have an accidental hb, so I don't want to automatically be labeled confrontational. Also because if I don't consent to the blood testing, which tests for std's, then my baby will be held hostage in the NICU and tested for god only knows what, so I want to have on record that I don't carry any of those things. I will be declining the pap, as well as the glusose screen and gbs testing.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post

I'm doing the blood tests, because I am most likely having a hospital birth unless we have an accidental hb, so I don't want to automatically be labeled confrontational. Also because if I don't consent to the blood testing, which tests for std's, then my baby will be held hostage in the NICU and tested for god only knows what, so I want to have on record that I don't carry any of those things. I will be declining the pap, as well as the glusose screen and gbs testing.
Why are you against the glucose screening? And what is gbs testing?

#17 ·
Well, I had my first visit this week and I did end up having the blood tests, the STD testing is mandatory in my state, it was either now or in the hospital. My doctor was great though, and had no problem with me declining a pap and genetic testing. She even looked it all up for me to get the exact prices, and the stuff I had was $125, so much less than I feared. I really don't know why it was so much last time, unless there were other things included. So all in all it was great. I had this doctor when I was a birth center transfer last time, and even though she had never met me I had a great natural birth and the hospital was very accomodating. So I feel good about getting the kind of prenatal care I want with her.

I may also decline the glucose tests when the time comes, I guess we'll see how that goes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.