Mothering Forum banner

October Moms Pregnant After Loss Thread

2K views 233 replies 30 participants last post by  HappyCianci 
#1 ·
I'm not going to type my whole story up right now (I'm on my phone), but I noticed there are quite a few of us who are expecting again after a loss, and thought it might be nice to have a place to share our hopes and fears.
smile.gif

See less See more
Reactions: Right of Passage
#202 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalana View Post

I feel so discouraged today. I tried finding the heartbeat with the Doppler today. I'm almost ten weeks and I found it at this point with my last m/c. I feel pretty sure it's over.
greensad.gif
I have another u/s but not for two weeks. I don't know how I'm going to wait that long for confirmation.... This really sucks. Three missed m/c in just over a year. My due date for the last one is coming up in April too so I could end up with another d&c around that date... It feels so cruel that it is happening again since we weren't even trying this time.
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this stress. 10 weeks is still early to hear with a doppler. Many times you can hear, but I've seen so many times you can't hear it yet. I've even seen it take as long as 13-14 weeks! Besides your recent losses do you have any reason to believe you miscarried? How are you feeling? If i were you I'd push hard to get in for an u/s earlier.i freaked out a week ago, went in that day for a quick u/s expecting to be let down only to see baby moving around and hear a normal heartbeat. I hope your story goes like that too. Hugs!

#203 ·
Hi Khalana,

My friend went to her 11 week appt and the doctor himself couldn't find the heartbeat with the Doppler. So he sent her for a quick scan and baby was just fine.

I agree- call the dr and see if you can come in early. I would even say you're having cramping. That's all they need for reason to do a scan. I hope you get some peace and calm soon. I know that worried sick feeling and expecting the worst.

Take care.

#204 ·
I dropped off the face of the internet - but I am back!

We had a u/s in February that showed implantation in the correct location. Hooray! Sack and yolk were measuring a bit behind, but nothing worrisome. The most discouraging result of my u/s was the bleeding that followed the next day. My OB never told me that this was a possibility (though, looking back, I realize that I guess I should have known?) and when I called her, in a panic, she told me that she "saw some bleeding on the wand when she removed it but didn't saying anything because she didn't want to worry me." I have since stopped seeing her and I am seeing a wonderful midwife. No bleeding or cramping since my u/s!

We are getting married in a week and a half, which is distracting me a lot from all of the helpful worrying I could be doing! ;)

#205 ·
I am in the same situation. I had a loss in Oct that dragged out until Nov 13, 2013. I am now pregnant again I'm 10 weeks…. Im finding it hard to share my feelings in places and groups where I normally would. Im a bereavement doula and I am able to help everyone else but now Im feeling alone with my fears. Thank you for starting this thread.

Kathleen

#206 ·
I saw the nurse practitioner today and we did blood work. I was fine with that and if it's bad we will confirm with an u/s. She is going to call me with the results tomorrow. We are doing our daughter's yearly heart biopsy tomorrow so I gave her our cell number but it wouldn't be awesome to get bad news while waiting for our daughter to come out from surgery.
greensad.gif
I hate pregnancy loss! I did think about something I want to do after I have recovered from the d&c. I want to plant three fruit trees in their honor, probably at my sil and bil's family farm in case we move. I feel that would be significant to me. I never got the bodies or ashes to bury and probably won't this time either but it would feel good to plant something that will grow. I have no m/s at all today so I feel pretty sure...

#208 ·
khalana, i hope it is just too early to hear that baby bean. remember that hcg can normally stop rising at 9-10 weeks. i hope you get some great news! hugs and strength,

#209 ·
There have been so many ups and downs on this board...the uncertainty of the first trimester is so hard/

I have my first appointment with the midwife this coming Monday and I feel like these next four days are going to be eternal...I will be just 11 weeks on Monday, and my last mc started right at 11 weeks...we learned development had stopped when the midwife couldn't find a heartbeat and then we had an ultrasound for confirmation. I have so much trepidation about this appointment, but at the same time am excited and hopeful. My symptoms are still present, but much more mild this week, which has me worrying a bit (but really, what doesn't make me worry these days?) But I've read in some places that nausea might decrease for some people around week 10 - has anyone else heard or experienced this?

I hope everyone else is hanging in there and engaging in lots of self-care, whatever stage of this process you're in. Sending lots of healing thoughts to those of you who are experiencing another loss.

#211 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lea2012 View Post

There have been so many ups and downs on this board...the uncertainty of the first trimester is so hard/

I have my first appointment with the midwife this coming Monday and I feel like these next four days are going to be eternal...I will be just 11 weeks on Monday, and my last mc started right at 11 weeks...we learned development had stopped when the midwife couldn't find a heartbeat and then we had an ultrasound for confirmation. I have so much trepidation about this appointment, but at the same time am excited and hopeful. My symptoms are still present, but much more mild this week, which has me worrying a bit (but really, what doesn't make me worry these days?) But I've read in some places that nausea might decrease for some people around week 10 - has anyone else heard or experienced this?

I hope everyone else is hanging in there and engaging in lots of self-care, whatever stage of this process you're in. Sending lots of healing thoughts to those of you who are experiencing another loss.
I hope your appointment goes perfectly. My symptoms tapered off after week 10 with my son, and they're tapering off again at the same time this pregnancy... baby looked good on our ultrasound two days ago. It's definitely normal. :)

#212 ·
Lea2012, I'm only 8w2d and my symptoms are also improving. I was so worried that I opted for an early u/s at my appointment with my midwife on Tuesday. Saw a cute little gummy bear with a strong heartbeat, measuring right on target. It still seems too good to be true (at this point in my last pregnancy, I was very sick), but I feel a little less anxious now.

I hope everything goes well for you on Monday!

#213 ·
Ugh, I'm 12w and WISH my symptoms were tapering off. But as others said, it's very normal for symptoms (especially nausea) to improve toward the end of the first trimester. Your hCG levels start leveling out or even dropping some, which can help with symptoms. Didn't with my first, doesn't seem to be with this one, but I'm just a "lucky" outlier. :p

#214 ·
yes i'm feeling better too! I am 9weeks1day. the nausea has dramatically lessened in the past week, although i do get some food aversion. i am still tired but that is getting better too. I'm on the doppler countdown! my midwife visit is on tuesday morning and i reallllllly hope we can hear the heartbeat at 9w6d. i feel like all is well so far. i'm even less grumpy!

in my last successful pregnancy, my nausea turned off like a switch when i hit 8 weeks.

I hope i make it to April and i think we should start a new thread April 1, a second trimester or 'spring' thread. over the hump!

#216 ·
So glad to hear about others' nausea subsiding. It is so hard not to worry though, huh? I think I am getting better about not rushing to the bathroom for every little gas pain but I am clearly messed up in the head about this. In my better moments, I try to remind myself that perhaps the grander "point" of motherhood is to learn things from our children that we cannot easily teach ourselves. I don't see why that learning should be limited to when they finally join us. So I keep trying.

But, yes, we should have a second trimester thread with balloons and glasses of sparkling apple cider! The weeks until then are feeling interminable right now!

#217 ·
? I am 8 weeks and I still feel nauseous and very tired and foggy brained. My last miscarriage happened at 7 weeks 3 days so I was very worried this week. My next appt is not until April 9th...so I am anxiously waiting for that. They will do a sonogram and Harmony blood test.

I am all for the new Spring/April thread. This first trimester has been very stressful. Looking forward to lighter, happier days ahead.

#218 ·
Well, we got a 160 bpm heartbeat today at 12w2d! It has been a LONG 6 weeks waiting to confirm the heartbeat we saw on the ultrasound. It took the midwife a minute or two to find it - a very fear-inducing minute or two, I may add. And it was so, so much quieter than my son's hb was early on. But it was most definitely there, and that's what counts!

We can definitely do a spring thread when the time comes. Does someone else want to volunteer to start it, or should I do it?

#219 ·
Yay monkeyscience!!!! So happy you heard that heartbeat. I'm 2weeks behind you, heard it at 9w4d at home with my own doppler. It's soooooo hard not to listen often since I have my own doppler. It's so cool to hear but I'm holding out until maybe 12 weeks and then I'll do another quick listen.

I had a little scare today. I had my blood draw for lots of labwork. I'm Rh negative and they called me within a couple hours saying my antibody screen was positive. I freaked for a minute but then realized it's because I had a Rhogam shot when I miscarried in January. The antibodies stay in the system for a while, which I forgot about. All is fine most likely. A sigh of relief.

#220 ·
awesome news monkey science! you must have been holding your breath! now you can relax and dream about holding this baby in your arms.

I will start the thread in april.

before my ultrasound i had allowed myself to plan ahead for deciding i want a D&C if needed, which days would work best, if we would try again etc. But i had not allowed myself to dream about the baby. After the ultrasound i started dreaming of holding the baby, planning for the birth, thinking about october and what life will be like, where i want to nurse and all that good stuff. feels so good for my heart! I am so hopeful that baby continues to grow well but no matter what happens i want to remember the excitement of planning for the baby and all the love here for it. i got out my maternity clothes, journal, hypnobirthing and just jumped into it. i thought it was easier on my heart to avoid for now but i was wrong, it was causing pain, anxiety, and grumps.

here's to embracing pregnancy!

oregonmoon, i am so excited that you found the HB on doppler, it makes me more hopeful for me to hear at 9w6d on tuesday. plus i'm thin and my funds is way up.

#221 ·
Wanted to share the news that we saw a heartbeat today at 11 weeks! We had a little scare when the midwife couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler, but she assured us that it wasn't anything to worry about and she was able to send us for an ultrasound right away, so within 30 minutes we were seeing a flutter on the screen. It was such a relief! My partner and I both took today off work so that we could have the space and time to process whatever happened at the appointment - it was a beautiful spring day here (we've had a few days of sun and blue skies - not really typical for March in the PNW) so we went out to lunch, did some gardening and went for a nice walk. I feel so much more relaxed and hopeful!

Looking forward to the new April thread and sending my good thoughts to everyone else!

#222 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lea2012 View Post

Wanted to share the news that we saw a heartbeat today at 11 weeks! We had a little scare when the midwife couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler, but she assured us that it wasn't anything to worry about and she was able to send us for an ultrasound right away, so within 30 minutes we were seeing a flutter on the screen. It was such a relief! My partner and I both took today off work so that we could have the space and time to process whatever happened at the appointment - it was a beautiful spring day here (we've had a few days of sun and blue skies - not really typical for March in the PNW) so we went out to lunch, did some gardening and went for a nice walk. I feel so much more relaxed and hopeful!

Looking forward to the new April thread and sending my good thoughts to everyone else!
yay!!! glad you got to check right away. i have my visit tomorrow and if you didn't hear at 11 weeks then it will make me feel better in case i can't hear at 9w6d. looks like the baby is doing great and you can make plans for an october bundle of joy! congrats!

#223 ·
no luck today picking up the heartbeat on doppler at 9w6d. i was hoping! i know its early though. i go back in 1 week for a quick check to try again. april 1st. i was just really wanting some confirmation/certainty so i can announce to more people. now my belly is huge, only maternity pants, and so noticeable.

#224 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesepumpkin View Post

no luck today picking up the heartbeat on doppler at 9w6d. i was hoping! i know its early though. i go back in 1 week for a quick check to try again. april 1st. i was just really wanting some confirmation/certainty so i can announce to more people. now my belly is huge, only maternity pants, and so noticeable.
Envying your huge belly :) I'm 12 weeks and I don't look pregnant at all .. and it's my second child. I tried some maternity pants on the other day and they were huge on me … I'll have to wait a bit, haha.

About the doppler, my midwife advised against the doppler when I was in her office last week (11 weeks along) - she told me there was a big chance of her not finding it as the baby is still so tiny and has so much space to move around in. She told me she can guarantee finding the heartbeat at 14 weeks though. She told me the only sure thing during the first trimester is the visual ultra sound.

#225 ·
Hi gang,

I sent mamacatsbaby a PM as she was spotting and then MIA so i was wondering how she is. She did lose the baby and wanted me to update you all on that.

as for me, counting the hours until a 2nd doppler check on tuesday April 1 to hopefully hear the heartbeat! i am getting doubts creeping in and it's been a tough week. even though i've been exhausted and nauseous again, that should make me feel better but it doesn't really.

So i hope i have a fabulous update to start our new April thread. is march almost over? GAH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.