Mothering Forum banner

Vegans/Vegetarians?

620 views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  vegk8 
#1 ·
Just wondering if any of you are vegan or vegetarians? I love to connect with other people who share this lifestyle choice with me!
joy.gif

See less See more
Reactions: Klaireeberry
#3 ·
I had that problem last time too. My midwife made me a little paranoid. I carried nuts with me everywhere and made sure I had some protein at every meal. The few times that I sort of added that up, it was more than enough. I had a chart with like 30-40 servings of different kinds of vegan protein, how much of each food counted as a serving. I should find that again. It was nice to set my mind at ease. People are protein-obsessed in this society!

#5 ·
I actually wish I could be, but I'm way too paranoid (not that you should be, haha, it's my issue) and my husband is a huge meat-eater, so I don't see that happening. I am considering becoming vegetarian again after the pregnancy though. I was vegan for a few years in my early twenties. I love tofu, btw.
:thumb

#6 ·
I was a strict vegetarian until my 21st birthday, when I switched to pescetarian. I wanted the benefits of fish in my diet. I choose, by myself, at age 10 to be a vegetarian. Man, did I get a lot of opinions about that! I was even vegan for a few months, but I couldn't do it. I still consume lots of dairy, and fish is the only seafood I eat. Shrimp and other seafood - Gag. I've considered lobster, but have yet to of tried it. I'm not 'too' concerned with getting enough protein, because I love dairy, beans, and nuts. Although considering my diet, I will be making sure I get enough of everything, now.

#7 ·
I've been on the fence on and off for years with vegetarian. (Has two stints where I was vegetarian for over a year) I typically only eat meat once a day but I have no hard and fast rules. I like to call myself a flexitarian. I'm interested in seeing what you ladies will be snacking on during your pregnancies!! :)

#8 ·
EmeraldTrees, that is awesome that you chose so young! I decided to be vegetarian when I was 7 and I have not eaten meat since. I definitely had to dig my heels in and stand my ground, but my parents were 100% supportive so I was very fortunate!

Wilhelmina, just curious, what are you paranoid about?

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelmina View Post

I actually wish I could be, but I'm way too paranoid (not that you should be, haha, it's my issue) and my husband is a huge meat-eater, so I don't see that happening. I am considering becoming vegetarian again after the pregnancy though. I was vegan for a few years in my early twenties. I love tofu, btw.
:thumb
This was a big problem for me too. DH and I have very different taste patterns. I cook for the family 90% of the time and when I wasn't eating meat I felt like I had to cook two different meals every night for dinner.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naftalita2012 View Post

I'm a vegetarian! I am dreading being diligent about my protein intake again though:) I'm not a huge protein fan, only the occasional tofu here or there. My body doesn't seem to need much so it always seems like a colossal effort to get enough during pregnancy!
Hi there, this is my first post here, as I'm only lurking, but this thread was calling my name! I think its awesome that you are listening to your body because our bodies do not need the amount of protein that most people seem to think. In this culture we are pushed to intake about as much protein as we can possibly get without even being aware that its not good for our cells or our bodies. There are real consequences of protein overconsumption, and hardly any real threat of protein deficiency. Normally, the only people who can be deficient in protein are either starving, severely dieting or otherwise not taking in enough calories. If you're taking in enough calories, you're getting enough protein. I eat 80/10/10 style or sometimes 90/5/5, which means I only get between 5-10% protein from calories on a daily basis. This is more than enough for me even though I am a very active mom who works out daily. I will have to do some research on pregnancy as I was not vegan with my first two, but I have a feeling that the same concept applies.

The one thing I would recommend is calculating your nutrient intake on a site like cronometer.com. You will be surprised when you're eating salad, broccoli, or even fruit, to see the protein line go up. The conventional way of thinking would have us believe that the only way to get protein is through meat and tofu and dairy and nuts, but there are tons of foods with protein and healthy vegans usually consume a good amount of these. As a raw vegan eating the way I do, I get more than enough protein from fruit, which I eat for breakfast lunch and snacks.

I hope to come out of the closet soon and officially join you! Take care and best wishes on happy and healthy pregnancies to all!

#12 ·
I hate to be a party pooper, but a pregnant body is not the same.

In the pregnant body you need 80-100 grams of protein a day, in addition to a minimum of 2300 calories (starting the the mid second trimester) this is because the body has to build blood which can't be done without albumin, which can only be found in protein sources. If you get 1/3rd less calories than you need daily 1/2 your protein in take is consumed as calories. I've successfully followed an ample protein and caloric diet in 2 pregnancies, my second and 3rd, as a vegetarian, my first I didn't and dealt with a lot of bp issues and dysfunctional labor because of it. Too much protein in an unbalanced way is damaging to the body, but the right combination of enough protein, calories, fat, and salt is necessary and wonderful for the pregnant body growing a whole other human person.

#13 ·
Did I mention that I am also allergic to wheat, and my nursing 2yo is allergic to corn?

Also, I am having food aversions to just about everything. Nothing sounds good- no cravings at all.

So... I am eating lacto-veg, wheat-free and corn-free, and it's frustrating. (Corn free until DS weans) I can not and will not eat meat.. I can not eat wheat either. I'm just throwing myself a little pity party here.

I always get plenty of protein while preg, and my iron levels are always great too.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post

In the pregnant body you need 80-100 grams of protein a day, in addition to a minimum of 2300 calories (starting the the mid second trimester) this is because the body has to build blood which can't be done without albumin, which can only be found in protein sources. If you get 1/3rd less calories than you need daily 1/2 your protein in take is consumed as calories. I've successfully followed an ample protein and caloric diet in 2 pregnancies, my second and 3rd, as a vegetarian, my first I didn't and dealt with a lot of bp issues and dysfunctional labor because of it. Too much protein in an unbalanced way is damaging to the body, but the right combination of enough protein, calories, fat, and salt is necessary and wonderful for the pregnant body growing a whole other human person.
Quote:

I wasn't trying to say those were the recommendations for a pregnant person, however, your 80-100 grams may be for YOU and your height weight proportions, but protein needs aren't one size fits all. I calculated mine at and 5'4'' for pregnancy max with 25 lb weight gain it wouldn't be over 68 grams of protein. At 112 lbs, where I am right now, even when I am pregnant, I need only 56 grams of protein. I have no idea where you get 80-100 because mostly the one size fits all (false) recommendations are set at 75g. Sources? Throwing in there that I have two kids also who are very healthy. I wasn't vegan, but mostly vegetarian for both.

#16 ·
I think the 80-100 gm recommendation comes from the Bradley Method? Doesn't it? Anyway.. I agree that protein intake should be accounted for individually.. I am 5'2 and 100-105 lbs pre-pg, and there is no way I could eat 2300 calories a day!

I think the most important thing is to listen to our bodies and what they are telling us we need.

#17 ·
Also see this scientific journal: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/586s.full

~~Vegans had significantly lower leukocyte, lymphocyte, and platelet counts and lower concentrations of complement factor 3 and blood urea nitrogen but higher serum albumin concentrations.

Again, just because its not a food that many think is high in protein, doesn't mean that its not in food, and those quantities don't add up. Everyone wants you to think you need "protein sources" and if you don't eat the proper "protein sources" you're not getting any protein. Its a lie. You can get sufficient protein from "non protein sources" that do happen to contain protein if you eat enough of them.

#18 ·
This a a group of pregnant women, and healthy salt is absolutely necessary for the pregnant body. I've been studying brewer principles for a few years now. check out www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com

The principles have nothing to do with weight gain, and everything to do with maintaining osmotic pressure, properly bathing the lake of blood and maintaining profusion, and expanding mother's blood volume. You need a minimum of 300 calories per fetus, the average diet is about 2,000 calories so the average suggestion is 2300 calories. If you're stressed, working a high energy job, chasing kids, or nursing you need to compensate your calorie consumption. When the blood volume doesn't properly expand, the placenta can't be properly bathed with blood, the body then starts to store fluids in the cells (osmotic pressure) to try to compensate for the lack of blood available to bathe the placenta, this causes swelling in the extremities/protein in the urine/and a climbing hemoglobin and hematocrit.

Protein is protein, it doesn't matter whether you get it from rice and beans, soy, legume, wheat products, nuts, dairy products.

I've seen mamas struggle with maintaining their pregnancy, feel miserable, be told they'll have their baby/babies early only to watch them implement the principles, feel amazing, stop swelling, and go to full term and have spontaneous vaginal births.

#19 ·
That is very interesting, Right of Passage!

In my three vegetarian pregnancies, I've never had any swelling or protein in the urine. I'm sure I ate plenty of protein. Due to my size, I probably eat a 1500 calorie/day diet... I haven't checked in a little while though. I've taken a nutrition class where we had to track our diet daily for a few weeks (I was eating vegan at the time), and I always had good amounts of everything. My prof. was always impressed ;)

I agree about the salt- good, natural, sea salt, is essential. We love Real Salt at our house.

#20 ·
Some mamas don't need to be on top of their calorie intake to expand their blood volume perfectly, but some mamas need help, and for some they just feel better when they get at least 300 extra calories for each baby, and appropriate amounts of proteins/calories/fat/salt. I was vegetarian my first 3 pregnancies but didn't find the brewer principle until my 2nd. My 1st pregnancy was miserable, I didn't eat enough, severely restricted my food and salt, it was a disaster birth ended in a cesarean and we struggled to establish our breastfeeding relationship. I was well nourished with pregnancies 2 and 3. I had a 3 hour labor with ds2, and a technically 4 hour labor but only 40 minutes of active labor with my ds3. Zero issues with breastfeeding! Nothing about brewer principles say you have to eat meat, just protein, and if you gain the protein from other sources rock on and eat up!
:eat

#21 ·
Quote:

I was vegetarian my first 3 pregnancies but didn't find the brewer principle until my 2nd. My 1st pregnancy was miserable, I didn't eat enough, severely restricted my food and salt, it was a disaster birth ended in a cesarean and we struggled to establish our breastfeeding relationship. I was well nourished with pregnancies 2 and 3. I had a 3 hour labor with ds2, and a technically 4 hour labor but only 40 minutes of active labor with my ds3.
I'm all ears now. I'll be checking out that website this evening. Specifically for establishing a strong breastfeeding relationship. Good information!

#22 ·
Right of Passage - Thanks, that is interesting. A lot of great suggestions. I wish I weren't allergic to almonds and could find bok choy and kale around here - as I love them. I need to start eating legumes again … my husband hates them all, so that pretty much eliminated them from my diet (except for when he makes the amazing chili he makes).

However, 2300calories per day is unrealistic for me … I can 'maybe' manage 2000, but then I feel like I'm eating all-the-time
:lol

#23 ·
The easiest way to bump up your calorie intake, healthy fat! Fat is necessary for the brain in general, that is the brain's fuel, and you're growing an entire new brain! I am omnivore now, so I include butter in my diet, but I also love coconut oil, I had spinach cooked in coconut oil with lunch
so good, or add some to your smoothie, flax oil is great for smoothies, some people love avocado oil. But that's the fastest way to bump up that calorie intake. I personally don't worry myself in the first trimester with eating differently than not pregnant, but once I hit around 22-24 weeks I get those building blocks in place for the blood volume expansion that happens around 28 weeks, and then I'm set to maintain for the rest of the pregnancy.

#24 ·
Quote:

The easiest way to bump up your calorie intake, healthy fat! Fat is necessary for the brain in general, that is the brain's fuel, and you're growing an entire new brain! I am omnivore now, so I include butter in my diet, but I also love coconut oil, I had spinach cooked in coconut oil with lunch
so good, or add some to your smoothie, flax oil is great for smoothies, some people love avocado oil. But that's the fastest way to bump up that calorie intake. I personally don't worry myself in the first trimester with eating differently than not pregnant, but once I hit around 22-24 weeks I get those building blocks in place for the blood volume expansion that happens around 28 weeks, and then I'm set to maintain for the rest of the pregnancy.
That's really good advice.. I love me some healthy fats :D

#25 ·
What's for dinner fellow veg*ns??? DH has been so kind to cook dinner for us because everything grosses me out. But I'd like to make something for us tonight so he can work on his homework.. ideas for a really queezy veggie?

#26 ·
I have been craving complex foods so last night we made falafel with hummus, olive tapenade, tomatoes, onions and pepperocini--in taco shells! New favorite falafel wrapper!I just sautéed the rest of the falafel with kale with some water and rolled it in tortillas with avocado, tomato, onion and a little vegan poppyseed dressing. It was delicious!

I have been making a ton of roasted root vegetables lately too, just tossed with a little olive oil and sometimes salt and pepper. I could probably eat 5 pounds of those and still crave more! Carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips...

We've been making a lot of butternut squash soup. That might be better for you than falafel if you are queezy...I cut the squash in half, roast it until it starts to caramelize, add it to a pan with some coconut milk, roasted tomatoes (usually a can of the fire roasted ones), sauteed onions and ginger and curry powder and chili powder and a little soy sauce or braggs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.