Name thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#1 of 57 Old 04-27-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am a big name person. I love names...but of course naming my own little people is super, agonizing, hard! I love to think up names.
Anyone have names picked out or started lists?
I have only two names I even sorta like, but a huge list of names I like but would not use. I prefer unusual names with an ocean, sailing theme.
One of top fave names that I sadly will not use because I think it is a little too popular is Isla. So pretty and I love the meaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 57 Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Our boy name has always been Daniel, after my dad. I have a million other boy names I like but this is it! As for girl named, I'm waiting until we find out the sex to make a true effort. Dh is impossible to please and I really feel like this is a boy, so I'm not going there yet.

Just for fun, though...
Boy names I like: Levi, Andrew, Silas, Samuel, Landon, Jude, Asher, Shiloh, Gabriel...
Girl names I like: Adah, Amelie, Norah, Bella, Natalie, Talia, Adeline, Selah, Lydia, Charlotte...

I'm too tired to think of more at the moment.

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#3 of 57 Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love names too! We've narrowed down boys list to Isidore. For girls we are between Damaris, Imelda, and Estelle. It's so hard to choose! Middles are even more tough
#4 of 57 Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miramom View Post

Our boy name has always been Daniel, after my dad. I have a million other boy names I like but this is it! As for girl named, I'm waiting until we find out the sex to make a true effort. Dh is impossible to please and I really feel like this is a boy, so I'm not going there yet.

Just for fun, though...
Boy names I like: Levi, Andrew, Silas, Samuel, Landon, Jude, Asher, Shiloh, Gabriel...
Girl names I like: Adah, Amelie, Norah, Bella, Natalie, Talia, Adeline, Selah, Lydia, Charlotte...

I'm too tired to think of more at the moment.

My ds3 is Silas! I get comments and compliments about his name all the time! People love it! 

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#5 of 57 Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 AM

We have one name. I reeeeaaallly want this baby to be a girl. And I think it is. If I am right. I feel like her name will be Clover. We don't have a middle name yet. NO clue for a baby boy.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#6 of 57 Old 04-29-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Clover is an adorable name! Love it. I have always loved Maple for a girl.
Maple June or Maple Lee.
I'm ****l hope I'm having a boy though smile.gif
#7 of 57 Old 05-04-2014, 06:31 PM

This baby will be Gideon Rye. DH wanted a Hebrew name, and we just liked the way Rye sounded with it. We think it sounds like a character from Deadwood; a Victorian gentleman outlaw, lol. Our daughter is Tamsin Carter, and our son is Judevine Elijah.
#8 of 57 Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 AM

We found out we're having another boy (this is boy 4 out of 4 for us!)!! I have a $ebastian, 0liver, and E11iott.. this baby will be August Owen (Owen is my grandfather's name, and my dad always wanted me to use his name for my other boys' but it never flowed with their chosen first names). 

I liked a lot of girls names and none of them felt right (probably because I was having a boy and there was only a boy name that I connected with this whole pregnancy).. but the girl names on our list were: Penelope, Matilda, Athena, Gwendolen, Daphne, and Beatrix. 

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#9 of 57 Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I love the names you mamas are choosing and considering. If this baby is a girl, she'll be Nova. Middle name, we're not sure yet, Jean or Jane, maybe, after our mothers' middle names.

If it's a boy, I'm really gunning for Kale Christo. My partner is definitely on board with Christo, and he likes Kale enough for it to be a serious contender.

I really like disyllabic names, and I think Kale is the only monosyllabic name that I've ever really loved.

Me: 31 Copilot: 37
Our son Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl!
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.

#10 of 57 Old 05-05-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Before we knew we were pregnant (and it WAS a surprise lol), this name popped into my head. It was the first name I ever thought, "I'd name my kid that" and my husband liked it, too.

Naima. (Nye-EE-muh)

Thoughts? It's arabic in origin, so is that culturally appropriating? We are white people, but I don't want to give our kid an anglo name and my husband and I are both American with mixed ancestry (multiple generations back before you get to immigrants). It means "content" and is not common, from what I can tell.

Thoughts?

#11 of 57 Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

it is a  common name for me, comming from an arabic speaking country. It is very beautiful. I think it is still easy to use in North America. 

#12 of 57 Old 05-05-2014, 02:22 PM

@HappyCianci - I love "Nova" -- and I think Jean would sound amazing with it as the middle name! Nova Jean. 

@ADSC, Naima is a beautiful name. I have never heard it before. As such, I would have probably mispronounced it if you hadn't spelled it out phonetically. That could be the case with a lot of people -- and you simply have to be prepared to correct them. I have a good friend and former coworker with the Finnish name "Kecia" -- prounounced "ky-sha," and even people who know and have met her several times still call her "kee-sha" and "ka-CEE-uh." No one gets it right on the first try. She doesn't even blink when people say it wrong because she is so used to it, and still, she LOVES her name and the story behind it. My personal opinion is that if you love the name, and it's meaningful to you, it's worth having to tell people how to say it.

#13 of 57 Old 05-05-2014, 02:30 PM

Well, now that we know we're having a boy and a girl, we're reconsidering our girl name.  Would love feedback.  We had Juliana as her name, which we both LOVE.  But, we don't like Jules as NN at all.  Would you think Juliana would end up with a nickname?  Other name we LOVE is Linnea.  Problem with THAT name is the "original" pronunciation is Lin-nay-yuh but we love Lin-nee-uh much better.  We don't want to be correcting people forever.  We're stuck between those two.  We've gone back to the drawing board but nothing is jumping out.  :(

Mama to DS1 2001  and DS2 2006  and boy/girl twins 9/2014 .  Raising our family with my wife in the mountains  
#14 of 57 Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blueridgemama View Post

Well, now that we know we're having a boy and a girl, we're reconsidering our girl name.  Would love feedback.  We had Juliana as her name, which we both LOVE.  But, we don't like Jules as NN at all.  Would you think Juliana would end up with a nickname?  Other name we LOVE is Linnea.  Problem with THAT name is the "original" pronunciation is Lin-nay-yuh but we love Lin-nee-uh much better.  We don't want to be correcting people forever.  We're stuck between those two.  We've gone back to the drawing board but nothing is jumping out.  :(

What are you thinking for a boys name? If Jules is a problem, just make sure to never call her that. But of course, my parents named me Elizabeth and hated the nn Liz, but everyone ended up calling me Liz anyway. So, if you can live with that, then go for it... but either way, it sounds like you might be correcting people regardless if it is telling people not to call her Jules, or how to pronounce Linnea. 

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#15 of 57 Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 PM

We will name our baby after one of my grandparents- Rosella and Archie. If it is a girl we will name her Zella and if it is a boy we will name him Archer and call him Archie. The names are sort of old-fashioned, but I think we've modernized them enough… I also really love the name Finn for a boy!

#16 of 57 Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 AM

We've a long list going of about 10 boy and 10 girl names. For me the front runners for a boy are Reid (my maiden name), Arie (pronounced are-ee) and Bram. For a girl Karina, Evie (ehv-ee) or Juliana (Julie for short- also not a fan of Jules, lol).

In my state I *think* you can take up to a week to name your child as you submit the paperwork, not the hospital (I've a friend who did so about 7 years ago.) So we plan to leave the hospital with the generic "baby boy/ girl" for the initial paperwork and take a few days to get to know them before settling on a name. We love the idea of letting baby help pick the name by seeing which they respond to the best and what not. Lol we are also prepared for the flack we'll be getting from the hospital staff and from family/ friends and are warning people in advance.

My Blog about stuff

#17 of 57 Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 AM

I LOVE Juliana....Naima is beautiful too. I love Nova...all cool names.

We are having a girl and we both love Chloe. My DD isn't a fan yet, so we are letting it marinate for a bit. It would be the first time I have chosen a name before the hospital. It's sort of odd to feel like we know before we see her.
#18 of 57 Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilitchka View Post

it is a  common name for me, comming from an arabic speaking country. It is very beautiful. I think it is still easy to use in North America. 

Lilitchka, do you think it is appropriating to use this name? Also, what are the Naimas like? Are they vain, beautiful, noble? I notice certain characteristics seem to follow names around sometimes ;-)

#19 of 57 Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgergirl View Post

We will name our baby after one of my grandparents- Rosella and Archie. If it is a girl we will name her Zella and if it is a boy we will name him Archer and call him Archie. The names are sort of old-fashioned, but I think we've modernized them enough… I also really love the name Finn for a boy!

I love both Zella and Archer! Unique and traditional at the same time. Cool idea.
#20 of 57 Old 05-06-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSC View Post

Thoughts? It's arabic in origin, so is that culturally appropriating? We are white people, but I don't want to give our kid an anglo name and my husband and I are both American with mixed ancestry (multiple generations back before you get to immigrants). It means "content" and is not common, from what I can tell.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry (although this is coming from someone who is very Anglo). One of children has a Spanish name, another a Breton name. Another came close to having a French name but instead has a variation on a family name. The other is a Scottish name (my dad's name). We considered a Cree name for this one since we used to live in a Cree community but we have other names that we prefer.

In some respects the names we have chosen reflect our history. We lived in Bretagne. They also pick up on family names. Except dd1, she was named since I first heard her name as a preteen. I have always loved it.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
#21 of 57 Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We're not superstitious and have had our names for years:

Girl: Everett Grey

Boy: Alden Fox

On long car trips we would come up with names and argue the pros and cons, so these (as well as a backup for each gender) have been settled for a long time.

#22 of 57 Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SequoiaM View Post

On long car trips we would come up with names and argue the pros and cons, so these (as well as a backup for each gender) have been settled for a long time.

We do that on road trips too! lol 

#23 of 57 Old 05-07-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SequoiaM View Post

Both very cool names! Thanks for sharing. No reason to be superstitious with great names like those. I can't decide which I hope you're having now, I like them both wink1.gif
If my day is not too crazy tomorrow (yeah right) I am going to try to put my list of names I like but not using on here. We don't have a" using list" yet. I just love reading all the different names.
#24 of 57 Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM

We are thinking Rose and Lily for our twin girls. We also like Daisy and Violet. But I'll probably change my mind before September! Middle names are the hard part for girls, for boys they were the easy part!

#25 of 57 Old 05-08-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ahhhh naming twin girls is so sweet. I love Daisy and Violet Sounds sweet, but a little spunky. smile.gif

Ok here is a short list of names is like but not using for one reason or another.

Girls:
Azalea
Zalea
Tallulah
Tatum
Nerissa
Cassiopeia
Dahlia
Emmeline
Imogen
Georgina
Zinnia
Aviva
Eloise
Coralline
Azull
Hanalei
Soleil
Scout

Boys:
Murphy
Thaddeus
Zen (I knew a sweet Vietnamese boy named this when I volunteered in an orphanage once, If it didn't have so many other meanings I would totally go with this)
Atticus
Milo
Rhys
Seamus

I am hoping for a boy, have two boys but I find boys names so much harder!
#26 of 57 Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 AM

We haven't discussed girl names at all (not worth expending the energy it requires to get dh to agree to anything until we know what it is) but I've considered going with Daisy. My 96-year-old grandma may not live to see this baby (but oh my goodness I sure hope she does!!) and her name is Daisy Belle Ann. She spent her whole life hating her name and going by a nickname, but in the last year decided to own it and loves it again!

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#27 of 57 Old 05-09-2014, 11:49 AM

I love Daisy too! That was a name we considered if we had a girl (alas, all boys for us!)

Daisy & Violet are great twin names! Totally match but not too crazy matchy :) 

#28 of 57 Old 05-09-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miramom View Post

We haven't discussed girl names at all (not worth expending the energy it requires to get dh to agree to anything until we know what it is) but I've considered going with Daisy. My 96-year-old grandma may not live to see this baby (but oh my goodness I sure hope she does!!) and her name is Daisy Belle Ann. She spent her whole life hating her name and going by a nickname, but in the last year decided to own it and loves it again!

daisy Belle! I think it would be awesome to be named after a great grandma. I'm so glad she came to love her name in the end, it is a fantastic name smile.gif
#29 of 57 Old 05-10-2014, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSC View Post

Lilitchka, do you think it is appropriating to use this name? Also, what are the Naimas like? Are they vain, beautiful, noble? I notice certain characteristics seem to follow names around sometimes ;-)

of  course it is appropriate, why not?

I am not sure about characteristics, I didn't really pay attention. 

it is a soft name, a gentle name. It is hard to imagine someone with this name being mean or harsh. 

#30 of 57 Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 AM

We have decided on Gillian Adele for our little girl due Oct. 2!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page