Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   October 2014 Due Date Club (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17553-october-2014-due-date-club/)
-   -   Important! All Members Please Read (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17553-october-2014-due-date-club/1421010-important-all-members-please-read.html)

cynthia mosher 05-31-2014 12:58 PM

Important! All Members Please Read

Dear DDC mamas:

We have been working to try to improve the DDC set up since the transfer but truth be told it will take some considerable development time to address tings and get back to what we had before and some things might not be possible to put in place. But we have an alternative suggestion for you.

Before the move to this new platform we had plans to move DDCs to forums. This would mean placing a main DDC forum and then placing each DDC as a subforum (actually, that's where the DDCs used to be). This would give you full forum functionality and resolve nearly all of the current shortcomings.

We have done a trial import of a DDC into a test forum and everything looks pretty good. Posts carry over well and nothing is lost. You have the same funtions and features as the forums. So, my question to you is:

Do you want us to move your DDC with all its posts to the main forum where you can continue forever? Or would you prefer to stay here where you are in the Groups area? Please discuss it here amongst yourselves and make a group decision. I'll check back and see what you've decided. :)

bethanta 05-31-2014 03:57 PM

Sound good to me, what does everyone else think?

The mobile version of ddcs is really horrible right now, I'm not sure what the desktop is like.

Also, i've only been back on mothering for a short time and last time I was on the ddcs were still in the forums. I was still getting used to the changes before the site switch.

gillibean 06-01-2014 05:26 AM

Forum is fine with me. The DDC's were forum the last time I was part of one as well.

valerievalira 06-02-2014 04:07 PM

I know that I miss how it use to jump to the first unread post- and I'd get notifications of new posts on threads I'd participate in. If that comes back-I'm all for it!

bethanta 06-02-2014 05:48 PM

@cynthia mosher;
When will this be done if it is approved? I saw that some other options are being considered (in the mobile site feedback thread).

I'm not sure there is going to be much replying here as there has been hardly any activity in this DDC since the switch. :(

jesepumpkin 06-02-2014 06:45 PM

i'm not sure exactly what this all means, the change sounds fine to me.

kaliakra 06-03-2014 09:04 AM

Do you know why I can't see user signatures and how I can enable that?

cynthia mosher 06-03-2014 11:56 AM

Thanks for your patience with everything. :love We've tested moving a group to a forum and everything looks good! We may have a few bumps along the way and will need to still address other things in forums to bring full functionality that we had but everything is being worked on promptly. Hopefully your forum will be a better DDC home. Once we have things ready we'll announce the switch. :)

monkeyscience 06-03-2014 01:35 PM

That's how it was before, and I have no problem with going back to that way. Actually, I think it would be really nice if it also gave us the option to be able to post in DDCs other than our own. I know I've often wanted to comment on a friend's post, or answer a question, only to find out it's in a DDC and I'd have to join to say anything.

Frankly, other than the groups not getting archived after a certain amount of time, I don't see any advantage to the group format over the subforum format, and was never quite sure why that change was made.

sunfish75 06-03-2014 05:25 PM

My mobile browser wasn't letting me reply until today. I am fine with a change as long as our group continues. I am really enjoying it :)

1blueridgemama 06-11-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunfish75 (Post 17675074)
My mobile browser wasn't letting me reply until today. I am fine with a change as long as our group continues. I am really enjoying it :)

Well, I became locked out until today. Didn't recognize my email all of a sudden. Hopefully, bugs and glitches are getting worked out. I could read but couldn't reply since I couldn't log in.

cynthia mosher 06-12-2014 12:09 AM

So sorry about that 1blueridgemama! I hope everything is working for you now. Next time you have such an issue, send me an email at webmaster@mothering.com. :thumb

So everyone - how are things going in the new forum setup for your group? Any issues?

adsc 06-12-2014 06:14 AM

I don't like this new format - I had trouble just posting this response. If we can go back to something similar to what we had before, that'd be great!

monkeyscience 06-12-2014 08:58 PM

Seems to be working okay for me. My only complaint is that I have to resubscribe to threads that I was previously subscribed to before. But at least they can show up in my thread subscriptions again.

cynthia mosher 06-13-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adsc (Post 17689914)
I don't like this new format - I had trouble just posting this response. If we can go back to something similar to what we had before, that'd be great!

We can't go back to the Huddler platform, if that's what you mean. Going back to the Groups setup where you were just before this move to Forums would not be an improvement as most group members feel the forum function is better. So, I don't believe that would be an option. But we are trying to address issues and improve functionality so if you can be more specific about what you don't like we can try to address things one by one. Best thing - post to this thread where our tech team is checking regularly and working on things as they are posted by members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscience (Post 17692626)
Seems to be working okay for me. My only complaint is that I have to resubscribe to threads that I was previously subscribed to before. But at least they can show up in my thread subscriptions again.

I don't think they have been able to make the subscriptions carry over. But as long as subscriptions are working for you in general hopefully it won;t be an ongoing issue. :)