What gender are you having? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What gender are you having?

As an early October mom I have just gotten far enough long to have the gender reveal ultrasound. I am having a GIRL! I am glad as I already have a sweet toddler boy and I was hoping for a girl. Anyone else know the gender and want to share?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 AM

I have three boys, and we found out we're having ANOTHER boy! This is my last pregnancy.. so no girls for us unless we adopt! 

Old 05-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking forward to being able to chime in on this thread in just under two weeks!

For everyone's FYI... you can find out the baby's SEX but not its GENDER through an ultrasound. Sex is biological, gender is social/identity. :)

Old 05-06-2014, 04:19 PM

We are having twin girls. I already have two boys so we're pretty excited.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybutterfly View Post

I am looking forward to being able to chime in on this thread in just under two weeks!

For everyone's FYI... you can find out the baby's SEX but not its GENDER through an ultrasound. Sex is biological, gender is social/identity. :)

LOL. I've given up on correcting people anymore. I do make sure to get it right in my papers though. 

Old 05-07-2014, 01:38 PM

Word.

I'm having a boy!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I can't wait to report on this thread! We find out the sex in about three weeks.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:57 PM

It's a girl! I'm excited that my daughter will have a sister. It's such a special bond :)

Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 AM

2 weeks and counting! And no clue. 

Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I go for the u/s next Friday but we will wait until Sunday to have a family get-together with a cake so we can all find out together!!! I'm so excited! Everyone is hoping for a boy but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. This is our last and it is what it is!! Girls are so much fun too :)

Old 05-09-2014, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

We are having...

A SURPRISE! Because baby was quite modest and kept his/her thighs clamped tight together throughout the ultrasound. Both techs say they think it *might* be a girl, but were really not seeming overly confident in that assessment. We aren't planning any more ultrasounds unless something is wrong. (Won't know for sure if this scan went well until the radiologist report comes out in a few days.) Maybe if my midwives got their in-office machine fixed, we might take a quick peek, but I'm trying to resign myself to not knowing. So far, it isn't working super well. :P

Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 PM

We have never found out the sex before birth, but I am really tempted to find out this time.  In the past, my husband felt strongly that he wanted to wait until the birth.  I always felt like I could go either way, it was very cool to find out at the birth, but I could also understand how it would be fun to find out early.  Tonight he told me that if I want to find out at our ultrasound in a week and a half, that he's fine with it.  So he's basically leaving it up to me and I am so torn!!!  I know that "it's a surprise no matter when you find out", but there is something so neat about finding out when the baby is born.  I've really enjoyed that experience.  But the fact that I could know in 10 days?!  So tempting.  I think it would be fun for my boys to know, and I know our families would love to know, and part of me really really wants to know.  But what if we find out and then I realize I prefer the other way and have regrets?  On the other hand, it sounds kind of fun to do something different, as there is a decent chance this is our last baby. Ugh, I'm over thinking this.  

Has anyone here been team green with one pregnancy and not for another?  Which did you prefer, looking back?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If you don't have a strong preference now, you're probably not going to be disappointed when you find out. We found out the sex of my daughter at the 20 week U/S, and I although I'd kind of been hoping for a boy, I didn't have a really strong preference going in. Knowing I was going to have a daughter just blew me away, and I fell in love with the idea instantly.

We're definitely going to find out again. This time, I'm kind of hoping for another girl, but if it's a boy, I imagine my mind will be blown again. :)

Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

Has anyone here been team green with one pregnancy and not for another?  Which did you prefer, looking back?

I've been toying with the idea of finding out the sex of this baby but I highly doubt that I will.  I didn't find out with the first three.  With the fourth, my oldest DD (11 at the time) really wanted to find out.  She was with me at an ultrasound around 30 weeks and I told the tech to show me the goods let me figure it out for myself.  It was super obvious that it was a boy.  When we got home, I let DH know that we had found out so he wanted to know and I told him.  A few weeks later he was talking to his sister and she asked what the sex was so he told her. splat.gifbawling.gifCuss.gifhammer.gifhopmad.gifbanghead.gifrant.gif  So the smilies might give an indication of how well that went over with me, I have never been as angry with him as I was then.  I did NOT want anyone else to know that we had even found out, let alone what it was.  I felt like something very personal and private had been taken from me without even asking.  It completely ruined a couple weeks for me when I should have been just basking in the joy of expecting.

I should mention that he wasn't trying to be a jerk, he honestly didn't realize how strongly I felt.  He was more surprised that I would be able to keep it a secret.  He also didn't know how to deflect her direct question without telling her a flat-out lie.  I would have flat-out lied that we didn't know, he couldn't.

Fortunately, I can't hold a grudge to save my life.  I was able to let go and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy.  Ironically, it probably is a good thing I found out because I was positive that it was going to be a girl so it gave me a chance to switch gears and really look forward to having a boy. (I already had 2 girls and 1 boy and was super happy either way, just surprised at how wrong my feelings had been.)  

So now, while it would be nice to know, I will not take the risk of news being leaked and I don't want to know if DH doesn't know.  I'm happy with it being a surprise - but I have to admit it's still tempting.

I think it comes down to how you feel about others knowing the sex.  If you're okay with that, then you might like finding out.  If you're not okay with others knowing, there's just too much chance for things to slip out.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

we are having a girl!

I can't wait to see the interactions with her 2 older brothers!

Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 AM

We found out on Tuesday that we're having a girl. My mom was right! I would have been happy either way (this is our first) but it seems fitting. We settled on a girl name before I was even pregnant (still hadn't figured out a boy one as of the ultrasound) and it's one that honors my mom, who has a terminal illness, and two of our grandparents, so we're really hoping they'll all be with us in October to meet their little namesake.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 PM

We found out with our first, not with our second, and yes with our third. I will find out my fourth's next week. I'm very crunchy in orientation and not finding out/not having any ultrasounds felt like the "right" way to do it or the way I was "supposed" to do it, however, I like finding out MUCH better. I have some tiny, lingering regrets about having not found out with my second. I wish I would have then too!

Old 05-17-2014, 04:58 PM

We did not find out with our first and it was perfect. With our second we had the u/s tech write it in an envelope and we opened a few months later on our anniversary. A very sweet idea, but one that I unfortunately can not recommend. I thought I was good with either, but prego hormones came on like a spider monkey and I cried the whole day when I saw little blue booties. Worst.anniversary.ever. I can laugh at it now, but dh is still shell shocked by it smile.gif
I think this time around we will just go mainstream and have them tell us right at the appt. I kind of want to celebrate somehow after, but am not a throw a party type. Any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2014, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've never been team green but patience is not my strongest virtue. wink1.gif. Why we found out: our kids now refer to them as who they are ("my brother and sister" and even use their names as those are finalized)- they talk about and to them a lot and it connected them much more than before finding out, shopping (as neutral as we are with toys, equipment etc., we got to buy a dress for the first time ever lol), we chose their names (but won't announce til birth) and there are still countless surprises at birth (looks, size, names to announce, dates, etc.). It was a good choice for us but for many, that surprise at birth is the right choice for them.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:45 AM

We found out yesterday that our first is a daughter smile.gif My mom and dad came up to see the US and they and my husband cried through the whole thing. Watching John's face while he looked at those little feet and hands and saw her tumbling about in there was better by far than watching the US!
It was a great experience- the tech was very thorough and very quick, and told us what she was looking at and measuring the whole time. She was sweet and funny and professional all at the same time, and gave me an awesome hug when we were leaving.
I tell you what- this being pregnant business is just wonderful. smile.gif
Old 05-20-2014, 05:52 PM

We have decided to go for it!  This is my 4th baby, and FIRST time finding out!  I am giddy :)  Our appt is tomorrow at 940 am.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

What a big day for you, Copper!! Check in as soon as you can, please!! There are countless surprises still in store after the gender smile.gif. Enjoy!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 PM

It's a GIRL!!!  After 3 delivery-room surprises, all being boys, we found out today that we are having a baby girl this time.  I am in shock!  And absolutely thrilled :love  I would have loved to raise a pack of boys too, but this feels so extra special.  My 6 year old is beside himself, he has been asking for a sister.  It is so sweet.  I don't know what I did to be so blessed, but I sure am grateful!!!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 PM

Yay, copper!! I can feel your excitement. That must be so cool to have a girl after three boys (I am beside myself at the possibility of a girl after only one boy!)

I assume the scan went well otherwise, congrats on a great day!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 PM

Aw, congrats Copper! So exciting! :joy

Old 05-21-2014, 09:28 PM

wow that will be different! how exciting copper.

i am sooooo tempted to find out the sex this time after having both my girls as delivery surprises. ack, i will prob wait though. i am horrible at keeping secrets and as soon as my family knows either way they will buy us baby crap we don't want.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:27 AM

Congrats! You guys are making me want to fun be out!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:29 PM

We have our scan tomorrow morning!! I can't believe it's finally here. I'll update when we find out!!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 AM

Good luck this morning Cianci!

Thanks for all the congrats, ladies!  I haven't gone shoppping yet, I'm controlling myself, lol!

Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM

We had our scan this morning and it's a healthy, beautiful GIRL! We're so happy. All her measurements were normal and my blood work from my last checkup came back normal, too. I told my partner that I feel like we won all the lotteries today. So grateful.

We made homemade cupcakes with hidden pink frosting that we're bringing over to the family tonight. Can't wait. :)

User Tag List