Hypnobirthing anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-25-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hypnobirthing anyone?

Im doing it for the 4th time. I love it and it has been very helpful. Its just deep relaxation-the HYPNO label isnt accurate I think. This is the program I used, http://www.leclairemethod.com/

I need to start listening to my cds now and get in the mood again. I have actually used the method for all kinds of drs visits  and dental visits lol

#2 of 16 Old 05-26-2014, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hypnobirthing anyone?

I have been thinking about doing the Hypnobabies home study course. I just don't want to fork over the money for some of the classes that are offered here, and it has great reviews. But I would be interested in hearing from someone that has actually done the course and had birth that way. I think it will be good to learn to relax, I have been hypnotized before so I do believe that can work but haven't done it myself. I feel like most of the bad reviews I have seen on it were people expecting to have a pain free birth and didn't have one. I feel like learning to relax and have manageable pain is different than pain-free. We will see how this all goes, though. 

#3 of 16 Old 05-26-2014, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hypnobirthing anyone?

I teach patients with chronic pain and post op pain relaxation techniques- from what I've gleamed from the books on hypobirth from the library- that is the bulk of the methods- train your body to relax through pain, usually by breathing or contracting then relaxing muscles.

I can make myself relax really quickly and can put myself to sleep in 5-10 minutes flat using relaxation techniques. I feel like I can cope with pain well and have worked hard over the years to control my fears via affirmations and mantras.

So, I'm hesistant to sign up for or buy any hypno birthing classes/ books because I fear there isn't much more to it than that. Would love to hear from others if there is any more to it. If so, I may have to sign up.
#4 of 16 Old 06-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I read the Mongan Method Hypnobirthing book and am almost 21 weeks now and have gone through the book, made notes and will start with the cd's and breathing/relaxation/visualization exercises soon.

This is my first pregnancy so I am curious!
#5 of 16 Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have used hypo birthing the mongan method for two births and two miscarriages. It works! i found the tracks that come with the book to be basic, there are some additional tracks i got from the instructor. we took the course which was private sessions and then i hired the instructor to come the the birth of my first. it was really awesome. between that and the birth pool it helped so much. like mentioned previously, i then used the techniques to cope with breastfeeding pain, insomnia, and horrible afterpains. now that i've been using the tracks for years, i just have to hear the first line or two and i'm out. from what i hear the hypnobabies has more tracks and is more useful. as long as you practice with a cue (cd's, partners touch, partner's affirmations) then you just need the cue. two thumbs up from me. my midwives both times couldn't even tell i was having contractions other then the fact that i was focused.

Jese Mom to Elaina (April 2007) & Macy (June 2010). #3 m/c at 10 weeks (July 2013), #4 m/c at 9 weeks (october 2013). Expecting again! Due October 22/2014.
#6 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 04:28 AM

I used it for my last birth and as a doula I've had many clients use the method. I swear by both Hypnobirthing and Hypnobabies. It is such a wonderful, powerful tool. I am prone to anxiety and it made me feel at peace, prepared, confident, and excited. You can use it with your partner, practicing cues and scripts, or listen to the tracks on your headphones on your birthing day, or just use your relaxation without any sound cues... Whatever works for you. Practice is very important. There are many tracks available now (more than when I had my son 4 years ago) on iTunes. Love love it all! Enjoy!
#7 of 16 Old 06-21-2014, 08:45 AM

Would anyone be willing to sell me the course materials and CD's if they aren't using them this time around for hypnobabies / other methods? that'd be very helpful!
#8 of 16 Old 06-21-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethinWitty View Post
Would anyone be willing to sell me the course materials and CD's if they aren't using them this time around for hypnobabies / other methods? that'd be very helpful!
the website I listed sells the mp3 for 8.50
it's worth every cent.
#9 of 16 Old 06-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I used it for my 2nd birth (hypnobabies) and found it wonderful. I did the affirmations almost everyday and the fear clearing as necessary and it really helped. I Found what it really did was help me not panic and stay calm, Which was v useful
#10 of 16 Old 06-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have been listening to the affirmations while doing other things throughout the day, things I do on auto-pilot and subconsciously I listen and remember all the affirmations that are being said in the background. I can already say them along one by one.

I have been listening to the rainbow meditation from Marie Mongan but fall asleep at the part early in the beginning when you have to focus on your breath lol! There is a very similar meditation on mama and baby love, a natural minded website and I do that meditation more than anything.

And the breathing exercises (stretching the breath).

We shall see what the results will be at the day of birth!
#11 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 PM

We just signed up for it! We had the option of hypnobirthing, regular Lamaze-style, and "natural birth" classes at our hospital. Hypnobirthing was the most expensive at $220 for a couple (all materials included and about 14 hours of instruction over 5 weeks).

I'm not certain that I'm not going to end up with an epidural, but if I do get one, I'll be okay with it but it's going to be after things have gotten a good start. I'm hoping that hypnobirthing and the nurse midwife I've chosen will give me the best chance for an unmedicated delivery in the hospital (and hopefully I'll get one of the whirlpool rooms!) and, if things take a different route, I am hoping the strategies learned in the class will help with the fear and anxiety that would come from more interventions.

I'm an anxious person, so it seemed that this approach would be good for me and my husband even of we don't end up with a fully unmedicated birth. I'm looking forward to it!
#12 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Oh, and it looks like my insurance might even cover it.
#13 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiepants View Post
Oh, and it looks like my insurance might even cover it.
Wowser that's even more awesome!

Some people swear hypnobirthing makes it pain free for them. For me It was still painful but I was okay with that thanks to the hypnosis. It helped me not fight the process, during each wave Id close my eyes and let my whole body go limp and say "relax, relax, relax" or "open, open, open", and listen to the tape. For my first birth I was so scared, the pain scared me too. For my second I was determined to not let fear take over, hypnobabies helped immensely with that.

Good luck to you!!
#14 of 16 Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 AM

I started the hypnobabies home study course last week. I really like it, so far. I like the affirmations and I honestly look forward to the relaxation exercises everyday! However, I cannot stay awake through them. I know it says it is fine, but I feel like I don't even know what track 2 said at all hahha. I am thinking I should listen to it while cleaning or something to get an idea as to what it was about...

Any other tips or tricks to help make this work as well as it can? I am going to do them everyday. I am trying really hard to just send fearful thoughts about childbirth on their way and envision a calm birth. I have been watching a lot of hypnobirths on youtube. I am still working on getting my partner more behind it. He is supportive of me using and hasn't said anything about me using it, but doesn't feel he can take it seriously enough to help me with it.. if that makes sense.

Well, let me know if there is anything that has really worked for you all! Thanks
#15 of 16 Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM

Just so you guys know, my insurance does indeed cover childbirth education, and their only requirement for covering it would be that it's at the hospital. Nobody told us that it was covered- I just happened to read through our coverage documents. Thought I'd mention it in case it would help out some of you!
#16 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing Hypnobabies (not Hypnobirthing). I think I'm on Week 4 of the home study course (officially started at 26 weeks), but I did the Week 1/2 tracks for a few months before I officially started.

I have to inject myself w/ blood thinners every night, and when I use my hypnobabies tools before an injection they are always pain free. The success w/ painless injections is really helping my husband and me become believers...originally we were both very skeptical! I like that the creator of the course was originally a Bradley Method instructor, since I used the Bradley method to prepare for my first natural birth. It feels comfortable/familiar.

I don't know if I truly believe I can have a 100% pain-free birth, but I do believe it will be a lot more comfortable with Hypnobabies than without it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page