Another other UCers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another other UCers?

I think I've seen one or two other October UC mamas but I was curious how many of us there are. How goes the planning/preparation? I pretty much have all of my supplies (generous friends!) and my pool is on its way. I'm so excited!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have to admit I don't know what UC stands for.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
UC= unassisted childbirth, i.e., a homebirth without a midwife present. It's not for me, but some of my friends IRL have had great experiences delivering their own babies with their partners and families.

Miramom, is this your first UC? What attracts you to it?

Me: 31 Copilot: 37
Our son Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl!
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

My first was a natural delivery at the hospital but I didn't like being in an unfamiliar bed, woken up to be stuck with needles, not allowed to cosleep with baby, etc. Second was a wonderful homebirth with a midwife. It went very fast and in the end, dh and I pretty much did everything ourselves. I figured I'd rather plan to be unassisted this time rather than be unprepared to go it alone if this labor goes even faster. Dh and I are both nurses with experience in emergencies (him) and maternity/newborn/NICU (me). My former midwife was totally supportive and agreed with our decision.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am hoping/ considering UC. My situation is tricky and I still need to do a lot of research. I want one for similar reasons as Miramom. I have experience too many intervention at a birth center, I am not comfortable with lots of strangers around me etc. and my biggest reason is no midwife will assist a home birth for me.

Wow Miramom, your situation couldn't sound more ideal. Congrats on getting your supplies. You and dh are gonna rock this
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Another first-time freebirther here! I had my first in a birth center and it was definitely a positive experience but I think it could be even better. I knew immediately that I only wanted to birth at home from then on. My labor with him was only 5 hours so I am anticipating this one to go *very* quickly. We are moving at 34 weeks so it's a relief that I won't have to scramble to find a provider when we relocate. I have lots of reasons for choosing free birth. I have always felt strongly pulled to it, in fact I considered going that route with my first but I decided I didn't feel comfortable having never experienced labor or birth. I thought about it a lot and by the time I was pregnant with my second I knew we would be UCing. For one thing I want my best chance at experiencing physiologic birth and the fetal ejection reflex, and I know myself well enough to know that if a birth professional (or pretty much anyone besides DH) is present I won't be able to let my thinking brain go and give over to my body, I'm just too socially responsive of a person. Also I've read a lot about the emotional states present in the labor and birth process and their roles in bonding, and I really want all those hormones contributing to a deeper relationship with my spouse rather than being misplaced on a birth professional. I don't know how to explain it, but I think if this is the right path for you it will stay in the back of your head, tugging at you, and eventually you won't be able to imagine doing it another way.

ETA: I don't really have any of the supplies yet but will be gathering them soon. I want to have them packed and ready to take with us on the move just in case. I don't think we will have a lot in the way of supplies. I will be making some reusable chux pads and a sling for the fish scale. We have a fetoscope already. I will be making some essential oil and herbal preparations that I might choose to use during birth and postpartum. I haven't decided whether a water birth will be worth the trouble. I know I would stress out about which tub to get, and having to set it up and everything. Last time was so fast I never got a chance to get in the tub, so I'm not sure if I *need* it. We'll see.

Last edited by katealicia; 06-24-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Kudos to you all! I'm a first-time mom. I used to dream of a UC years before we became pregnant, but I am an anxious, nervous type and my mom and grandmother both had c-sections, so I'm going to go with a midwife this time (luckily I found an AMAZING midwife who I totally trust), and see how things go and maybe with the next one i'll try UC.

That's so cool that nurses are going UC!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first two were at home with midwives. My next two were UC. I'm actually really looking forward to having a midwife again for this one. I really missed the emotional support. It's odd because I'm a very private person and usually like to do things alone.

UC was the right decision at the time for where we were living and birthing options. I'm so glad I experienced them and I learned a lot, both about birth in general and also about myself.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post
My first two were at home with midwives. My next two were UC. I'm actually really looking forward to having a midwife again for this one. I really missed the emotional support. It's odd because I'm a very private person and usually like to do things alone.

UC was the right decision at the time for where we were living and birthing options. I'm so glad I experienced them and I learned a lot, both about birth in general and also about myself.
Gillibean- so great to have an experienced UCer chime in. Did you ever transfer to hospital after a successful UC birth? If not did you just schedule regular ped appt? Trying to figure out logistics for us as we would prob have to plan ours " oops style"
Old 06-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfish75 View Post
Did you ever transfer to hospital after a successful UC birth? If not did you just schedule regular ped appt? Trying to figure out logistics for us as we would prob have to plan ours " oops style"
For our first UC we dropped by the emerg dept of the local hospital a couple hours after the birth. We were in a very remote community with a very slow emerg dept so it took maybe an hour at the most. I'm glad that we went because if we hadn't gone, getting a birth certificate would have been a huge hassle. As it was, we needed to have the doctor who saw us there write a letter confirming that the baby had been born. Even with that letter, I needed a signed affadavit from my mother (a witness of the birth who was not a parent of the child) confirming that she had witnessed the birth.

For my second UC one of our friends who is a doctor popped by the house the evening after I gave birth. He had actually been at the hospital attending another birth while I was home giving birth. He signed the birth registration form so we didn't have any hassle at all with the birth certificates. We dropped by emerg to see him the next day for weighing, etc and to get the forms for health care taken care of.

I'm not sure what I would do now that we're no longer in that community if I was to UC. I would definitely not go to emerg for a 4+ hour wait here. Unfortunately, in Ontario they're very strict about documentation for registering a birth which makes so many more hoops to jump through without having a health care provider's signature on the form. I have the impression that most places aren't quite as strict as here.

I guess, find out what the requirements are for your specific state/province and go from there. I don't see a point to rush to see a health care provider just to confirm the baby's healthy but for us it made the logistics of the birth certificate so much easier.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.

User Tag List