Plus-size mamas - best nursing bras? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Plus-size mamas - best nursing bras?

OK, ladies. I am looking for some suggestions on nursing bras. When I'm not pregnant I'm a 46-48 C/D (depending on the bra). Now 26-ish weeks into my first pregnancy, my boobs have definitely grown some (as has my band size, I'm guessing). I've been using my old bras throughout my pregnancy, but I think they've worked fine because they're older and a bit stretched out.

Any suggestions on brands or stores/web sites to try in looking for COMFORTABLE nursing bras?

Thank you!
#2 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Have you tried Soma? I've never worn their nursing bras but every bra I've ever bought there has been extremely comfortable. I wear a 36 DD and no bra has ever fit me as well as the ones I buy from there. They also have band extenders!

June 18th, 2014
EDD February 26th, 2015
#3 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Subbing. I have no suggestions, but I hope other people do!

partners.gif  +babyf.gifjoy.gif

#4 of 11 Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
bravado
#5 of 11 Old 06-28-2014, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I'm big-boobed, but not plus-sized, and my favorite nursing bra was a regular, well-fitting bra I bought at Nordstrom and had their alterations department switch to a nursing bra. Also, be aware your band size will increase during pregnancy, but will usually go back down to the normal size by about 6 weeks to 3 months postpartum. It's usually recommended that you not be fitted for a nursing bra until at least 2 weeks postpartum to give your milk supply/boob size some time to regulate. Even then, I would consider buying a smaller band size (where the cups fit properly) with a band extender so it will still fit you when your ribcage shrinks back down. But I also know how ridiculous it is trying to manage two weeks without any proper support. So you may try to find a cheaper sleep bra or nursing tank to get you through those first few weeks. I'm not sure what I'm going to do this time around, because last time SUCKED until I got a good bra - which actually didn't end up being until a couple of months in. (I got an okay-ish one at 2 weeks.) My first okay bra was a Medela. They aren't bad, but mine wasn't quite properly fit, and they don't actually really sell my size (32F at the time), but that shouldn't be an issue with bigger band sizes. The one that was good was an Anita that I bought off Amazon. They have a HUGE range of sizes available.

The biggest thing is finding a place to get truly, properly fit for a bra, or measuring yourself to get a good fit. Motherhood says they will fit you for a bra, but told me I needed something ridiculously off of my true size. Many department stores are the same way, unfortunately. This page has a decent, though complex, self-measuring tutorial. When I worked for a lactation consultant (we also sold Medela and Bravado bras - I know lots of people who love Bravado, but I never found one that worked for me), we used a much simpler method - put the tape measure along where the bra band goes on your back (do NOT do this while clothed, or wearing a bra, though - do it topless), pull it under your armpits, across the very top of your breasts, and make sure it is very snug - it should pull your breasts together a little. This is your band size (round up if it is an odd number). Then, leave the tape measure across the bra-band area of your back, and LOOSELY pull it around your breasts at the fullest point - usually around the nipple line. DO NOT pull it tight - it should just sit on your boobs without compressing at all. The difference in inches from your band size is your cup size - i.e., if your band size is 38, and your bust measurement is 39", you're an A cup, if it's 40", you're a B cup, etc.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#6 of 11 Old 06-28-2014, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lots of good advice from monkeyscience.

They're expensive, but I like Elomi, which I get at Nordstrom. I finally gave in to the price recently after many years of sub-par bra experiences, and I don't regret it at all. And I just bought extenders there too. This is my first baby, so no great advice about nursing bras, but I'm 24 weeks and have already gone up a cup size and a band size. The folks at Nordstrom will fit you too, but I found even within the one brand, different styles have different fits on me.

Love the idea of having a regular bra converted to a nursing bra - so smart and probably much less expensive than buying a new one - thanks for that tip monkeyscience!

me (34) and dp (39). After 18 months of IVI with a KD and 2 losses excitedly awaiting the arrival of a baby in October 2014! 

****5****10****15****20****25****
30****35***40
#7 of 11 Old 06-28-2014, 07:17 PM

I will say, if you have your bra converted - look in to buying clips made specifically for nursing and taking those in to Nordstrom. Otherwise, they will just use clips like you might find on a skirt waistband or similar. Works, but not quite as convenient.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#8 of 11 Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I like Elomi, too. Best support and fit, in my experience.

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#9 of 11 Old 06-30-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love Elomi. I did not realize they make nursing bras, but I do have to look into that. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

First baby lost in September 2013.
Expecting our rainbow with our hearts wide open!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 37 38 39 40 October 2014
#10 of 11 Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started at about a 40dd or 40ddd. Now my boobs have grown quite a bit even though I haven't gained much weight- they're getting a little silly! Everything I was buying was getting outgrown right away.

I am now wearing a Goddess 6090 (I think the style name is keira) in 40H, an under wire non-nursing bra, that I got on ebay for $12 new in red (they still have some!)

I bought a couple big nursing bras on ebay and Amazon and one in store. I didn't have any luck with wireless bras, but you might as your feasts aren't as big as mine- I found that for proper support the wireless needed to have too wide of a band underneath and that was uncomfortable and dug in much more than the wires did.

The best one I got is an Elomi molded nursing bra, in a 40g, I believe the style is 3912. I like it because when you clip the cup down there's still a band of soft fabric going all the way around my breast, not just to the side. I also got an Anita 5068 that I really like, also underwire, lots of sizes. I got an Anita 5035 as well, which I felt ran a little smaller than the 5068 but is also comfy.

I found a little store about 30 minutes from me in the Detroit area (Comfortably Yours) that had everything i needed- they do large sizes, nursing, and mastectomy bras.

I tried the soft stretchy microfiber type bras, like the bravado basic one, but my books just kind of migrate to the middle. Those might be good for you though, and don't forget about the wonderful cheap bra extenders you can get anywhere- maybe if you find something in your cup size you can just add an extender or two to bring the band size up to where you need it.

I'm personally still stumped about sleep bras, so I can keep pads in place during those leaky early nights. When I wear the non structured ones my boobs go to the middle or up and out or wherever they want and I just will not be sleeping in an underwire! I'd appreciate any suggestions for that- I need something that is soft but will still keep them a little separated.

Good luck!

Last edited by Katiepants; 07-07-2014 at 10:40 AM.
#11 of 11 Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 AM

I just slept on a towel for awhile...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page