cloth diapering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Post cloth diapering

So, this is my first baby and I would like to try out cloth diapering. Thing is that will probably be part time cloth and part time disposable, as I can't get my partner or my mom behind the idea (and they will be the ones taking care of the baby while I am at work part time). So, I think it is fine to do it half and half, and I am ok with that.

But, I don't know where to start! What is the best brand? Is there a system that is better than another? I really just don't know what I am doing with them. I feel like I need to observe someone else use them all day and see their system of storage and cleaning.. I know that it sounds weird but it is a pretty new realm for me. Only ever been around disposable.

Advice, please! Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
There are a ton of options available for cloth diapers. For the most part you will find:

AIO's (All in Ones) - these are waterproof padded diapers that attach with velcro or snaps and act like a disposable in use. Just stick it under baby and then snap in place. Very simple to use but can take longer to dry.
Pockets - Similar to the AIO's and waterproof exterior on most of them but the padding part is separate and is stuffed into the "pocket" at the back hem making a two part diaper.
Fitteds - Work the same as the AIO except these are not waterproof exterior and usually will want some other cover over them to waterproof
Covers used with flats or prefolds - With these you'll use lay the prefolds or folded flats inside the cover to place over baby.

Each type has it's pros and cons depending on what your personal preference is. I cloth diapered all 3 kids and to start with I bought some of everything because I had no idea what to use. For us I ended up liking a few AIOs for disposable type ease when out in town or for when someone else had the baby. For regular use at home the flats or prefolds with covers were my favorite. I liked them best because the waterproof cover could be wiped/rinsed after use if it got dirty and it dried quickly so I only needed to keep a few. Same for the prefolds/flats... either one could be washed and dried quickly allowing me to keep less on hand. Plus I used the PUL type waterproof covers during the day and at night used fleece or wool covers over the flats which were waterproof as well but more breathable so less likely to cause a rash once they slept longer periods and thus might be
dirty longer between changings. This is also one of the cheapest options which is great when you're on a budget with kids!

There are lots of brands for each type and I don't really remember all of them now but I'm sure some of the other moms can help. I found my flats and prefolds at greenmountaindiapers but Gerber makes some also that can be bought for $10-15/dz at Walmart although they are budget friendly they aren't organic if you specifically want that. They had really good prices. I bought my covers used from mamas at diaperswappers.com for $3-5 each. Most fitteds, AIOs and pockets will run anywhere from $10-30 per diaper. You can find some good prices on WAHM made dipes on etsy. Cloth wipes can easily be made yourself. I also bought some from etsy. Not sure on commercial brands for those either.

For storage and cleaning I used a wetbag to toss dirties into. The diapers (and the empty wetbag) would get washed and dried at the same time. For outings I kept a smaller wetbag in the diaper bag that would hold dirties until we got home. We also used cloth wipes at home and out so they went with the diapers. There are recipes for homemade wipe solution if you want it just google it and you'll find a ton of recipes. I just washed diapers with our household homemade laundry detergent and never had any issues. It really is personal preference but I hope this helps you!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 07-06-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the information!!! It does help, because now I can kind of have a reference to look back on when I am looking at diapers for sale Thanks!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
crazyms gave you great info.

For me, personally, I liked flats/fitteds up until the baby was about 15 lbs. Once they hit about 15 lbs, I like to switch to fitteds with a separate waterproof cover.

I'm not a fan of the one size diaper and fitteds are just to expensive to justify buying them for the couple months that the baby would fit into newborn-sized fitteds.

Also, by starting out with prefolds you can see if you like them, you may decide to stay with them and not bother switching over to fitteds.

I do have a few pockets for when I'm going out but I have never found a pocket diaper that I really like. I also find that they are terrible for holding on to smells. I much prefer a fitted diaper so I can have a separate cover that I can keep out of the diaper pail and air out more easily.

The reason I prefer fitteds to prefolds for older babies is that it's easier to use them without a cover which I often do at home. I also like using wool covers which I find much easier with fitteds.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
We used pretty much only prefolds and covers. I really like the Thirstys DuoWraps because of the double leg gusset - I feel like that helped keep them from leaking.

Question for those of you who use fitteds - what covers do you use?? I had both a Kissaluv fitted and some GMD workhorse fitteds, and gave up on them because they were practically impossible to stuff into my diaper covers! Something was always poking out somewhere, waiting to wick all over his clothes. (Plus the GMD ones didn't absorb nearly enough.)

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Monkeyscience, I have a Blueberry cover that works well over fitteds. Their covers are nice, but spendy! I bought mine used. I have a friend who uses Bummis covers over fitteds and doesn't seem to have any problems.

Lots of good advice in this thread. I started cloth diapering DD again a few months ago and, after lots of trial and error, I've found that I love covers with padfolded prefolds or flats. I really think it's the easiest option with a toddler. When the new baby arrives, we'll be using fitteds and prefolds/flats with pins or Snappis and sized covers.

I really like my bamboo prefolds and flats. They're softer and more absorbant than cotton. You'll probably want to experiment with covers, as they all fit differently. I personally like Flip covers on DD, because that's what fits her best.

partners.gif  +babyf.gifjoy.gif

Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I am gearing to be a CD newbie and learning as much as I can at the moment. I have my eyes on the GMD workhorses, but now I am a little worried about the covers. I have only bought a couple of Blueberry Capri's from their recent seconds sale, and I got those in size NB. I am going to look up Bummi's next.
What are some of the online stores that you like to buy from?

First baby lost in September 2013.
Expecting our rainbow with our hearts wide open!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 40 October 2014
Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm enjoying this thread! I'm new to cloth, too. I've done a ridiculous amount of research, and have settled on a newborn stash consisting of GMD prefolds and flats with a handful of inexpensive covers (2 prowraps, 1 econobum newborn, 2 Thirsties x-small, and a few bummis newborn covers handed down from a friend.) I also have 3 newborn workhorses and a few small/medium prefolds, so I can try them as baby grows and know when to order the next size up.

My most important criterion is ease and convenience of washing, and it seems prefolds and flats are the best in that regard. I know there's going to be a learning curve when it comes time to actually fold them onto a baby, but with a dozen changes a day, I'm sure I'll pick it up pretty quickly.

Me: 31 Copilot: 37
Our son Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl!
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Kaliakra, if you're looking for inexpensive covers, try DiaperSwappers. There are usually lots of used newborn and small covers for sale. Buy a few different kinds so you can experiment. I bought all my newborn supplies on DS and have covers from Blueberry, Thirsties, Bummis, ProWraps, Sweetpea, and a couple of other companies. I also got my newborn GMD prefolds, some newborn workhorses, and my small Imagine bamboo prefolds on DS.

The GMD website has galleries showing how their diapers fit under various brands of covers, so if you're thinking of going with workhorses, I'd look there for recommendations.

If you're buying new, I really like Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique. Great customer service, free shipping on every order. I've also had good experiences with Nicki's and Diaper Junction.

Cianci, having used both pockets with microfiber inserts and natural fiber prefolds/flats, I can tell you that the latter are definitely easier to deal with in the laundry room. I love being able to wash everything in one load in a single cycle, pull out the covers, and then throw the rest in the dryer.

partners.gif  +babyf.gifjoy.gif

Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm making my own covers and pockets. Then buying prefolds to go inside.

That's what my mom did for me n my siblings and what I'm use to- and it's been fun so far!

If those don't work, then I'll hit up sites for gently used diapers.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My younger DS was CDed years ago and I loved it. The twins will be, as well. I recommend trying all the different types of diapers (AIO, pocket, fitteds and prefolds) because I found them all to be preferred for different reasons (ie nighttime, traveling, ease of wash). Public service announcement: buying can be addictive. I'm not a shopper at all but I found CDs to be an exception. Oh, added bonus. When Ben was a toddler, he never protested diapering. He loved choosing which diaper (airplane, Curious George, etc.).
Enjoy! And feel free to ask questions.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Would someone tell me if this is a decent deal? From the math I have done, if I bought all these items new it would be a bit more. I also know that most cloth diapers last a while so it isn't like you are buying something that will poop out (ha.ha.) too quickly being used. I might haggle it down a bit if I can. I just want to know opinions, and if it seems like a good set of items to get started. Thanks!
http://prescott.craigslist.org/bab/4592381043.html
Old 08-13-2014, 03:11 PM

Yeah, that's not a bad deal, but here in Las Vegas (with a couple very active cloth diaper facebook pages) it's more than I'd spend. I'm also a little uncomfortable buying used because I know yeast can be a BEAST to kill. I'd only buy 100% cotton diapers used (so I could bleach or boil to disinfect). If you really want pockets, than used can save money for sure, but the microfiber inserts are hard to care for in hard water (high minerals cause build-up and stink). Anyway, I'd personally recommend new flats (osocozy or green mountain diapers are just a couple) since they're one size and cheap (plus super easy to clean/dry) couple with a good cover (Thirsties for PUL style or wool, etc) and a snappi you'll be all set! Planet wise diaper pail liners or hanging we bags are good choices too.

Oh, I'd want to know the brand of pockets and AIO's...the original brand/quality would influence resale price too - pockets and AIOs can range from ($5 a piece for the cheap China ones, to $24+ for the organic nicer ones).

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
SomethinWitty,
Watch the YouTube video called "Cloth Diapering 101". One of the mom's suggested it on a forum, I just watched it and loved it! I got SO much information from it.

Hope it helps.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

I actually watched sooo many youtube videos and have been added to a lot of cloth diapering facebook groups! now I can't stop buying cloth diapers lol. I want to have a good variety of stuff. it is great they have good re-sell value, because I can get rid of ones that don't work for us then get more that do. I am slightly obsessed!!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been watching a lot of videos on youtube too. It's great because I like to see it being done, and nobody I know cloth diapers. And the re-sell value is a point I keep making to my DH. He's not too thrilled about cloth diapering. I plan on getting at least 5 AIO's to help ease him into it.

I'm planning on 24 prefolds, 5 covers, and 5 AIO's. I hope this is enough? Idk, I can always get more later.

I have a question thou, how many newborn-specific (w/ umbilical cutout) cloth diaper AIO's / covers should I plan on?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
where do you sell them?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have been buying them on the facebook group cloth diapers B/S/T CHEAP! Lots of people sell and buy off that. It is awesome.

User Tag List