• 1 Post By Eriamel
  • 1 Post By arialvetica
  • 1 Post By WifeofAnt

#1 of 21 Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Where is your baby going to sleep?

I am really enjoying feeling my baby move around and watching my whole belly get the occasional jolt!

Anyways, where is your baby going to sleep? I want our baby to be near enough that I can just roll over to breastfeed in the night, so I'm looking at the Arm's Reach line if co-sleepers. Even though we have a queen size bed, my husband sleeps crazy and takes up almost the whole bed, so we can't have baby in our actual bed in any way.

Anyone else looking at co-sleepers? What about after the first 5-6 months?
#2 of 21 Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
With my first 2, they would start the night in the cosleeper but usually after one or two feedings, I'd latch them on side-lying and go back to sleep. I think dd1 went in a crib around 8 months and dd2 around 6 months when their wiggles kept me up too much (I'm a very light sleeper, especially with a baby in my bed). I don't remember how long they fit in the cosleeper or at which point they just slept with us all night. Sleep deprivation has erased my memory!
#3 of 21 Old 07-08-2014, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My first slept in the bassinet next to our bed until he began sleeping through the night, I think about 4.5 months. My second would awaken the moment we set him in the bassinet, so he slept next to me in a side lying position until he began sleeping through the night. I felt like I didn't get a restful nights sleep for those first 5 months out of fear I would roll over on him.
#4 of 21 Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM

We almost bought an arm's reach co-sleeper for our first, but got a mini crib instead. If you've never seen the arm's reach co-sleepers, go check one out at BRU--it personally struck me as very cheaply made from a fake nasty fabric (polyester, I guess). Also, the co-sleeper had a very low weight limit, whereas the mini crib could have lasted us into toddlerhood, had we used it.

Our son slept in our bed 95% of the time. The crib went largely unused, though when he was maybe 9 months old we turned it into a sidecar and he slept in it for a while like that. Even though we didn't get much use out of it, I love our crib. It's beautiful, sturdy, and small enough to go next to a bed, almost like a bassinet. This is the one we got: http://www.davincibaby.com/emily-mini-crib/

This baby is going to sleep on top of the mini crib mattress, which will be on top of a twin mattress/box spring, which will be sandwiched between the wall and our our queen-sized bed. It sounds complicated, but it's basically a huge family bed with the mini crib mattress plopped on top so baby has a little platform that's easy to keep clear of blankets. I was really scared of jerry-rigging a sleeping space for my first, but I feel much safer doing it this time around. The important points are no blankets and no narrow places where baby can get wedged or stuck.

Me: 31 Copilot: 37
Our son Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl!
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.

Last edited by HappyCianci; 07-08-2014 at 03:35 PM.
#5 of 21 Old 07-08-2014, 06:15 PM

we plan on having the baby in the bed with us or in a pack n play- baby's choice. I'm a little leery about having the baby in the bed, so I plan on buying an extra diaper changing pad and sewing a tightly fitting cover for it and having the baby sleep on that until I'm no longer worried that I'll roll over on the baby (the fact is I'm a bit of a tosser as far as sleep goes). I looked at the in bed sleepers that are on the market and they all had too many gizmo's (lights, vibration, music, canopies...) I just wanted something low tech, and thought a diaper changing pad might do the trick!

Any experienced moms out there: if that idea gives you the hebbie geebies let me know. But, to me, a changing pad with 4 sided bumpers looks a lot like the in bed co-sleepers but for a fraction of the cost and without any unnecessary frills.

My Blog about stuff

#6 of 21 Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM

I'm still not comfortable with the stats on cosleeping and SIDS even though I know everyone does it sometimes if not all the time. I'm planning on a cosleeper right up against the bed... everyone I know loved the arms reach or, if their kids are older, scooted a drop side crib (no longer in use due to recalls) and strapped that to the bed for the same effect.
Most of my friends and relatives used a combination of cosleeper/ bassinet along with baby sleeping directly worth them at times for the first few months then transferred to a crib in their room when the baby was sleeping for longer stretches.
#7 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
in my bed.
it's baby number 3. I don,t even think about it.
aywilkes likes this.
#8 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will have a moses basket with a rocker stand for next to the bed when Pumpkin is small. Then, if all goes well, we will move Pumpkin to his/her own room in a crib. We live in a small house, the crib is less than 20 steps from my side of the bed.

~ Tamara ~ First time Mama expecting in 10/14 ~ Married to Mike since 10/01/11 ~ 
#9 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We are all about cosleeping here but also have a cosleeper beside our bed. It's hard to predict what it will be like cosleeping with twins!

Re:SIDS risk, I was actually a community SIDS trainer for years. If cosleeping is done safely (no alcohol, drugs, medication that causes one to sleep heavy), there is no increased risk at all. Evidence shows decreased risk, as a matter of fact, with breastfeed babies, babies who use pacifiers and those sleeping where they can feel/hear mom's heartbeat (it helps regulate theirs).
aywilkes likes this.
#10 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Well, we'll just have to see. Plan is for an Arm's Reach cosleeper, which we already have, but ds ended up sleeping in a bouncy seat 90+% of the time till we moved him to a crib, because that was his preference. Bedsharing was too hot and uncomfortable for us, plus we didn't get the hang of sidelying nursing till about 6 months. In retrospect, I appreciate the fact that I didn't accustom him to all-night boob access, because I think it made him a better sleeper, but I could have just gotten lucky with that.
#11 of 21 Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM

My husband is a very aggressive sleeper.. it has happened all too many times that I wake up having an elbow pushed in my face or him rolling over which feels like him throwing himself on the bed instead of rolling over.. having baby sleep in the bed with us would just be unsafe lol. We will have the crib right next to the bed on my side at the same height of the bed so she is at arm's length and I can touch her still.
aywilkes likes this.
#12 of 21 Old 07-27-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is baby #2 for us. With #1 we experimented with bed-sharing, and also with having baby in a bassinet in our room and discovered it just wasn't a good fit for us. We ended up with baby sleeping in his own room in a crib, and when he woke up to nurse my husband would bring him to me so I could nurse side-lying in bed...and then nudge my husband to bring him back to his crib. LOVED how that worked--it really maximized everyone's comfort and sleep.

Who knows if that'll be ideal for #2 , but that's what we'll start with, and adjust as needed.
aywilkes likes this.
#13 of 21 Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Newborn in the bassinet
After that phase I alternate between the crib and our bed
#14 of 21 Old 07-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilitchka View Post
in my bed.
it's baby number 3. I don,t even think about it.
Same here!!!
#15 of 21 Old 07-29-2014, 11:15 PM

4th baby, and he'll be in our bed. All my babies have bed shared with me for at least the first year and a half. My third is 2.5 and still in our bed, though I'll be transitioning him into the toddler bed in our room very soon...

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#16 of 21 Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM

My first son slept right up next to me in my bed. This one, I'm not so sure. I may start on antidepressants after he's born and they have the potential to make me drowsy. I'd love to get a cosleeper but we don't have the spare cash at the moment so we have a Pack N Play set up next to our bed. If YDS wakes ODS too much (his room is immediately next to ours), I'll be moving to the guest room.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#17 of 21 Old 08-07-2014, 01:45 PM

With DS he slept on me for the first few weeks, then between us, then in the co-sleeper. This worked awesome for us and we will do it again. After he outgrew the co-sleeper we were pretty lost and he has gone between a toddler bed across the room and our bed. Not my favorite. He will be getting his own room when we move next month. This time we will sidecar a twin mattress when baby outgrows the co-sleeper. Never saw the need for a crib.
As for the rowdy husband issue. My husband was the biggest tosser/turner ever before my son was born. I worried about having the baby in bed and was sure I would always have to keep him on the other side of me. DH's sleeping patterns completely changed when DS came to bed with us. Having all of our sleep cycles synced made a huge difference.
#18 of 21 Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Score! Forgot to update here but we did find an Arm's Reach mini cosleeper for $45. So we'll have that until he outgrows it. Then it just kind of depends on his personality and how I've been handling the medication (if I take it). DH may insist he goes into the PnP but that will still be nearby.
aywilkes likes this.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#19 of 21 Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 AM

Since this is our first, I have a feeling that our plans will change based on what works and what feels best, but our plan to start is a PnP in our room next to the bed, with the bassinet in the top. I have it all set up already. My husband is a very light sleeper and worried about waking up every time I wake up with the baby, in which case I'll put the PnP around the corner behind a partial wall in our room, and have a rocking chair over there. I am hoping though that I can bf in bed to minimize my own sleep disturbances and fall back to sleep earlier.

We currently plan to transition to a crib when the baby is sleeping fairly well through the night. The baby's room is a floor below ours (our room is the entire half story on our house), so I foresee it being awhile before making that transition.

Honestly, it feels surreal talking about this. I just can't believe it's only two months until there is another little person living in our house with us. It's been just me and DH for over five years... things are about to get crazy
#20 of 21 Old 08-20-2014, 12:21 PM

We are (safely and securely) side-carring a crib. The crib we have transitions to a toddler bed, so one side comes off easily and safely while the crib remains sturdy.

I am a FTM, so I am keeping my options WIDE open – I am looking forward to figuring out what works for us. If the side- car isn't happening, we also have a pack and play that we can set up in our bedroom, or we will just set up the crib away from our bed.

I agree, Sunandthemoon – only two months! So amazing and crazy!

Farmer, Teacher, and Soon-to-be Mama!
#21 of 21 Old 08-20-2014, 04:40 PM

We have a rock n play that I am planning on putting the baby in at first. That (or the swing) was the only place DS would sleep, so I am not even going to bother to try the pack n play at first, unless this baby hates the rock n play. There isnt space in our room for a crib, so when she outgrows the rock n play (prob around 3 mos), she will sleep in the pack n play in our room, until we decide that she can go in DS' room (ie, they wont wake each other up).

DS is 2 and still comes into bed with us in the middle of the night 2-3 nights a week. I would be more concerned about DS kicking the newbie or something, than I would be about me or DH rolling on them. I am just hoping this baby sleeps better than DS... And they will be sleeping in their own bed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page