Mothering Forum banner

Third Trimester Food Thread!

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  sunandthemoon 
#1 ·
Because I love to talk about food, and because most of us are nearly (or already!) in our third trimesters, I'm starting a third trimester food thread!

What yummy food have you been enjoying lately? Any healthy favorites or guilty pleasures to share? Still have some belly room or is baby forcing you to have small meals?

I am really loving eating well in pregnancy. I'm fascinated by all the little studies out there (Fit Pregnancy reports on a bunch) about different foods and their effects on baby's development. It's always a battle for me to eat less sugar, but I'm down to a little dish of dark chocolate chips a day, which seems reasonable. ;)

I'm also trying to get my butt in gear to post more on my blog about the foods my family eats, and with a rare "work day" at my disposal today, I put up a new post: http://kidcaneat.blogspot.com/

Please share your pregnant food adventures! What's for dinner??

#2 ·
Awesome blog! Just got to peek at it, but will check it out more :)
I am only 24 weeks..when does 3rd tri start? But we are living on our sailboat full time so cooking is not my favorite. Lots of fresh veggies, chips, hummus, granola and yogurt. My all time prego food is watermelon! I could eat a whole one and I feel like one. My dh picks lots of fresh raspberry leaf and makes me tea. Oh yeah and tortilla pizza. Easy to make on boat and win with my two boys.

#3 ·
We have been eating a lot of veggies due to CSA and our garden. We had cabbage patch stew for dinner, my son and I just finished the leftovers for lunch along with a large helping of watermelon. I also love watermelon, fruit of any kind really. The thing is my stomach feels full but my mind is filled with all these things I want to eat, so I am stuffed and hungry at the same time. :eat

#4 ·
I've been super lucky for the past week and a half. I'm working at a residential camp for the summer and they feed me - yay! I don't have to think about cooking for the whole summer. The food is great too. They always have a few hot selections, a sandwich bar at lunch and a huge salad bar. There's always a lot of fruit too. I generally get one of their meat selections (today was steak) and pair that with fresh fruit and lots of salad. I've also been indulging in dessert quite frequently - totally getting my chocolate fix in.

My main issue is that tomato sauce gives me heartburn so I really just try to stay away from any of their selections with tomato sauce.

#6 ·
Great blog HappyCianci! I too love food and eating well. I'm just now 26 weeks (well, likely 27 weeks gestationally), and starting to really feel FULL easily. This is probably a good thing (should slow my weight gain down a bit) ;) I've been extra tired though in the afternoons lately though (105-1113 degree heat doesn't help), so often the 3 children win out with their requests (healthy versions of 'kid food'). Fruit is refreshing. The organic cantaloupe from Trader Joes has been great and I buy large amounts of fresh blueberries from Costco and TJs the last few weeks.

#10 ·
Yum, you guys! It sounds like we are eating pretty well.
@MagickalBotanical, I am on a dairy kick, too. I eat cereal with half and half instead of milk. I did it during my last pregnancy, too.
@SomethinWitty, I am 30 weeks tomorrow, and this week I have run into constant hunger, too. I have been complaining to my partner that I just don't know what to eat anymore... by the end of the day I run out of ideas.

The last couple of weeks our garden has been producing a lot, so I've been eating lots of tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, and kale. I shoot for an orange veggie every day, either carrots or sweet potatoes. For protein I try to rotate among beans, meat, eggs, whole cheese/plain yogurt, and peanut butter... I end up eating extra dairy, though. Whole plain yogurt with a drizzle of honey is my favorite late-night snack.

I've been pricking my finger to log blood glucose levels after meals for almost two weeks now as an alternative to the glucose tolerance test, and that's a little weird, psychologically. Thankfully my numbers are consistently good.

Finally, thinking about buying a waffle iron?! I don't know what's up with that.

#11 ·
We make sourdough waffles with the non stick (ceramic) waffle iron I bought in May. So yummy!!! Though I don't usually make them more than once a week. I don't feel right if I don't eat a good dose of protein in the morning (eggs are my go-to). I do enjoy a large homemade spelt sourdough Belgium waffle with Greek yogurt (more protein obviously than reg) and lots of blueberries :)

#12 ·
Me? I'm hungry all the time. I seriously want ALL THE FOOD. I feel that I am doing a great job of getting a variety of healthy veggies, fruits and proteins in, but not so great at avoiding sugar. I have never been a big sugar person (more of a salty snack gal), but I have been craving sweets like nobody's business -- especially chocolate and ice cream. At least if I go crazy one day I am usually able to avoid it the next. I'm aiming for balance :)

My regular breakfast has been chocolate chunk granola with 2% milk, or a protein granola bar with Greek yogurt an hour or two later. I usually eat a banana every day (helps with the leg cramps) and I'll get in a veggie/fruit smoothie about every third day or so (lettuce from the garden, with a banana, and whatever fruits I have around - mango, pineapple and blueberries are my favorites). For other meals I, too, rotate my proteins between eggs, beans, and meat. Our garden is producing quite the bounty right now, so last night we had sweet corn and tortellini with fresh basil pesto and grape tomatoes, and the night before we had BLTs with garden lettuce and tomatoes, thick-sliced bacon and whole grain bread. Veggie salads with balsamic and my famous cucumber salsa have been on the menu a lot too!

Oh, and I also ate a chocolate milkshake AND a brownie yesterday. No shame :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.