WWYD? Cold/sinus infection for 9 weeks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WWYD? Cold/sinus infection for 9 weeks!

I have been fighting a cold for 9 weeks now. 5 weeks ago it turned into a sinus infection.
I have been doing everything I can think of to boost my immune system and kill the infection but I am still suffering My symptoms have subsided a bit the last week but I still cannot breath through my nose at night and I have not tasted food in 4 1/2 weeks.
I was prescribed amoxycillin but didn't take it. I am not comfortable with antibiotics normally, and even less so while pregnant.
But now I wonder if I am being silly....is an on-going infection in my body worse for the baby than antibiotics?!
This is what I have done/am doing:
*probiotics
*amla powder (a pure form of vit C)
*Neti Pot (Ive added probiotics to it & goldenseal) Most times I cant get the water to flow through since my sinuses are so blocked.
*Grapefruit Seed Extract: 15 drops 3/day
*garlic: 1 clove 3x/day with honey and cayenne pepper

I"m ready to cry!

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So sorry mama, hope you get well soon. I know how you feel I suffered from a lung infection a while back n it was quite bad, I'd been given some antibiotics but just like you I didnt take them. I did the garluc, honey, water therapy, hot n cold compresses which unfortunately didnt help much cos the infection was too strong. DH finally had to take me to see doctor again n I had to submit to taking the meds ( maybe I just got tired of being ill).
Just wanted to let you know that I have been down that road n wishing you get better soon
Old 07-15-2014, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would add xylitol to your neti pot. If you can't rinse with the pot. Snort the xylitol mixture... here is the recipe I use:
http://fauquierent.blogspot.com/2011...h-at-home.html

I usually do recipe #3 , but my husband prefers recipe #1 because it will keep for about a week in the fridge.

I've nipped many a sinus infection in the butt with xylitol and it works wonders for my husband's frequent allergic rhinitis flare ups.

I feel your pain about the anti-biotics. I try and stay away from them myself. But you also don't want to end up running a fever or some such because of this.

If it hasn't gone away on it's own in a week or so- it probably isn't viral. So, the anti-biotics should nip it in the bud.

Whether you go the anti-biotic route or some other- hope you feel back to normal ASAP! Keeping stress low for baby is so important.

Oh! And if you do go on anti-biotics, I recommend getting a tea-tree oil vaginal suppository and using that to help prevent a yeast infection flare up. I've had to take tons of anti-biotics because of chronic ear infections and tea-tree oil works great to keep the yeast down until the regular good bacterial can grown back after a round of anti-biotics.

My Blog about stuff

Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I was sick and I took the antibiotics because my midwife was comfortable with it and I didn't want the infection to get any worse or lead to other problems . . . and because I needed to get back to work :-/ But my midwife is extremely experienced (20 some years I believe, and like 4 babies/week!) and knowledgeable about all sorts of natural remedies. She sees mostly amish and mennonite mothers, so I trust that if her judgement is to use antibiotics, it is a good judgement.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also have had a cold turned sinus infection for awhile, it has been negatively affecting my appetite so I gave in and took the antibiotics. I hope you are feeling better.

User Tag List