Mothering Forum banner

WWYD? Cold/sinus infection for 9 weeks!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jen2 
#1 ·
I have been fighting a cold for 9 weeks now. 5 weeks ago it turned into a sinus infection.
I have been doing everything I can think of to boost my immune system and kill the infection but I am still suffering :( My symptoms have subsided a bit the last week but I still cannot breath through my nose at night and I have not tasted food in 4 1/2 weeks. :serious:
I was prescribed amoxycillin but didn't take it. I am not comfortable with antibiotics normally, and even less so while pregnant.
But now I wonder if I am being silly....is an on-going infection in my body worse for the baby than antibiotics?!
This is what I have done/am doing:
*probiotics
*amla powder (a pure form of vit C)
*Neti Pot (Ive added probiotics to it & goldenseal) Most times I cant get the water to flow through since my sinuses are so blocked.
*Grapefruit Seed Extract: 15 drops 3/day
*garlic: 1 clove 3x/day with honey and cayenne pepper

I"m ready to cry!:crying:

#2 ·
So sorry mama, hope you get well soon. I know how you feel I suffered from a lung infection a while back n it was quite bad, I'd been given some antibiotics but just like you I didnt take them. I did the garluc, honey, water therapy, hot n cold compresses which unfortunately didnt help much cos the infection was too strong. DH finally had to take me to see doctor again n I had to submit to taking the meds ( maybe I just got tired of being ill).
Just wanted to let you know that I have been down that road n wishing you get better soon

#3 ·
I would add xylitol to your neti pot. If you can't rinse with the pot. Snort the xylitol mixture... here is the recipe I use:
http://fauquierent.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-make-xylitol-nasal-flush-at-home.html

I usually do recipe #3 , but my husband prefers recipe #1 because it will keep for about a week in the fridge.

I've nipped many a sinus infection in the butt with xylitol and it works wonders for my husband's frequent allergic rhinitis flare ups.

I feel your pain about the anti-biotics. I try and stay away from them myself. But you also don't want to end up running a fever or some such because of this.

If it hasn't gone away on it's own in a week or so- it probably isn't viral. So, the anti-biotics should nip it in the bud.

Whether you go the anti-biotic route or some other- hope you feel back to normal ASAP! Keeping stress low for baby is so important.

Oh! And if you do go on anti-biotics, I recommend getting a tea-tree oil vaginal suppository and using that to help prevent a yeast infection flare up. I've had to take tons of anti-biotics because of chronic ear infections and tea-tree oil works great to keep the yeast down until the regular good bacterial can grown back after a round of anti-biotics.

#4 ·
I was sick and I took the antibiotics because my midwife was comfortable with it and I didn't want the infection to get any worse or lead to other problems . . . and because I needed to get back to work :-/ But my midwife is extremely experienced (20 some years I believe, and like 4 babies/week!) and knowledgeable about all sorts of natural remedies. She sees mostly amish and mennonite mothers, so I trust that if her judgement is to use antibiotics, it is a good judgement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.