Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jesepumpkin

#1 of 10 Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Red raspberry leaf tea

Anyone drinking it? If so: where are you getting it? How many cups a day? How are you preparing it?

I bought some tea bags from the store today, but it was pricey! I would love to get some loose leaf.
#2 of 10 Old 07-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I drink the Yogi Tea "Mother to Be" blend daily. It's in bags and I usually steep 4 bags in a half gallon jar then drink throughout the day. Right now I drink it cold/iced. The main ingredient in the blend is RRL. I drank this (or the Traditional Medicinals Pregnancy Tea) all through my last two trimesters with pregnancy #2 and #3 . Both of those labors were only 1.5 hrs from first real contraction to baby. Not sure how much of this contributed to drinking the tea, but I've continued with hopes of another quick labor/delivery/recovery I find that getting the tea by the case from Amazon (especially on Subscribe and Save) saves money.

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 EDD 10/24 

Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#3 of 10 Old 07-19-2014, 07:05 AM

I've just recently bought some at my midwife's suggestion. I bought both tea bags and some loose-leaf. The loose-leaf was cheaper by far. I also plan to drink it iced. I bought it at a local place to me but you could probably get it anywhere loose-leaf tea is sold. Whole foods? It seems to be pretty common.
#4 of 10 Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I started drinking it, one cup a day, but stopped because I had a 20-minute contraction (one single contraction, 20 minutes long!) at 24 weeks and I wasn't comfortable continuing it if that was how my body was going to react. I'll start up again later when I'm not so afraid of preterm labor. My logical brain says it won't actually put me in labor but it felt too risky to contract like that so early.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#5 of 10 Old 07-20-2014, 05:40 AM

I have been making my own pregnancy tea and drinking it iced (albeit kind of unevenly) this entire pregnancy. I found the recipe on Mommypotomus. It's RRL, nettle, and rosehips. I like the taste a lot better than the Traditional Medicinals one I drank throughout my last pregnancy. I drank a lot in the early weeks, and then again around 20 weeks, but I haven't been as good about it lately. When I'm on top of things I brew a whole quart and then drink it throughout the day iced with a little bit of apple cider to sweeten it. I haven't noticed it *cause* any contractions so far. I plan to brew a very strong batch to drink while I'm in labor as I've read that can help the efficiency of the labor.
#6 of 10 Old 07-20-2014, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've read that people don't like the taste: but I love it! I'm still just drinking a cup a day but plan to up that to several cups a day after 34 weeks.

I really like the idea of having a huge batch made up for the hospital. Going to have to throw a box of tea bags into my hospital bag. (I'm not a fan of iced teas).
#7 of 10 Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 PM

I'm drinking it-when I remember! I buy loose-leaf at the health food store and it's super cheap in bulk. I had some trouble finding pregnancy tea- most of what I found pre-made was for breast feeding and contained things not recommended for pregnancy. I don't think raspberry leaf tastes like much, so I'm mixing it with peppermint. My husband makes "the uterus tea" for me- it's one of the things he does for the baby. Sweet man
#8 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have been drinking a blend that a local person makes loose, it has raspberry, oats, ginger, a few others. it is good. i wanted to add more nettles so this week i started brewing up a strong nettle and bit of peppermint and putting it in the fridge. yesterday i could not figure out why i had horrible heartburn as i don't usually, even in pregnancy. i kept going over all the foods i ate to figure it out and then realized it was the peppermint! duh, i know that, it relaxes the top sphincter of the stomach and aggravates heartburn. so pay attention to peppermint in formulas! i will add something else to it today. raspberry leaf is esp important in the last month of pregnancy to help tone the uterine muscles.
Katiepants likes this.

Jese Mom to Elaina (April 2007) & Macy (June 2010). #3 m/c at 10 weeks (July 2013), #4 m/c at 9 weeks (october 2013). Expecting again! Due October 22/2014.
#9 of 10 Old 07-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I can't stand tea generally, and no matter how I tried, I couldn't make the RRL palatable last pregnancy. I ended up taking Herb Lore Pregnancy Tea Plus Tincture during my last six weeks. My midwife sold it. I mixed it with my Floravital (iron supplement) and froze it in ice cubes, then plopped it in orange or cranberry juice. Now I live somewhere else, and no place local sells the stuff. I'm probably going to order some online, both the regular and the plu version (plus is only for the last 6 weeks). Browsing their website, apparently you're supposed to take it sublingually, but that really doesn't appeal to me. Frankly, I have NO idea if it helped with anything. It certainly didn't make labor only 1.5 hours! But I doubt it can hurt, and most of the other things in the tea help with iron levels, which helps in case you hemorrhage and helps with milk production, so it may be worth it just for that.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**36***40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#10 of 10 Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We pick some fresh red raspberry leaves and brew them up! They are everywhere right now! They are green even long after the raspberries are gone. Just make sure to use them while fresh not wilted. Sometimes my dh will don some gloves and pick me some stinging nettles. The stinging nettles makes more of a broth than a tea. You can even eat the leaves after too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page