Share your birth plan! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Share your birth plan!

I need ideas. I've written two already but they don't feel "right" yet. Definitely censor any names.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I haven't written mine up yet but I know it will involve:

- my admission to l&d after laboring at home until ~ 6cm dilated
- no IV or saline lock (unless medically necessary)
- use of non-medicated pain relief such as verbalizations, meditating/ breathing exercises, positional changes, showers and bath, massage and walking.
- Intermittent fetal monitoring using telemetry or handheld doppler as much as possible.
- steps taken to avoid episiotomy and c-section
- no pit during or after labor. No eye ointment, no Hep B
- yes to Vit K but only after kangaroo and while breast feeding
- kangaroo care (husband does kangaroo if I have to be separated from baby)
- as many procedures done in room as possible ( 1 patent accompanying babe at all times if request is reasonable.)
- and a bit at the beginning about how we prepared for birth and how we understand that medical necessity may make interventions necessary (but that we'd appreciate those interventions be discussed and our questions answered prior to application.)

I plan on typing it up sometime in August.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Mine is pretty nebulous at this point. I want to have a strong infusion on hand of RRL tea to aid things along once they've started. I also want to make some "labor-ade" to have for hydration. I don't plan on eating anything as my labor with DS was so short and I was totally uninterested in food. If there is early labor (I went straight into active with DS) I will probably do light housework/cooking to keep my mind off of things (or sleep), set up the birth pool if we decide to have one, and get out our very limited birth supplies (mostly chux pads and old towels). I want to diffuse some essential oils for relaxation and focus and may prepare some EO rollerballs and wash clothes too. I plan to move as my body tells me to, probably lots of walking, leaning against things and swaying my hips, kneeling while leaning forward when I need to rest. I plan to take full advantage of the "rest and be thankful" period when it comes about, as we jumped straight into pushing last time and I don't think my body was ready. I'm planning on keeping things dark, quiet, and private to encourage the proper flow of hormones to bring about a speedy ad efficient birth precipitating in a fetal ejection reflex. I plan to resist the urge to push (especially the head) until my body pushes the baby out for me (if I can manage). I plan to leave the cord alone until well after it's done pulsing (probably until after delivery of the placenta) and then we're going to burn the cord. I plan to nurse immediately and maintain skin-to-skin almost constantly for the first few days. I plan to stay in bed/at rest for several days and probably not leave the house for 2 weeks. We didn't babymoon nearly long enough last time (we were so excited to show him off!) and it was a HUGE mistake. That's my general plan
Old 07-20-2014, 08:33 AM

I don't have a birth plan, and didn't use one at all last time. Truthfully, as I'm having another homebirth, I don't feel like I need one as long as everything goes well, which I tend to assume it will. But what I will have this time is a more defined plan for transfer if something does go wrong, and what to do if my midwife doesn't arrive in time. (She lives almost 2 hours away, her office is 1 hour away. My husband would have us go to the hospital in that case, I'd rather do it ourselves. We have to work that out.) And we have to agree on circumcision in case it's a boy. My husband is for it, I'm against. I know it's not part of birth, and we have time to decide after if it is a boy, so I'm not so focused on that at this point.

As for a smooth labor and delivery, last time, I just relaxed and did what felt right, and it was perfect. At home, I can do whatever I want. No staff to inform of my preferences, no policies to worry about. My midwife will give me a list of supplies, and I'll have my essential oils on hand, and just go with it. Let it happen. Last time, I watched a funny movie and cooked pasta for lunch during early labor, took showers, leaned on things and swayed my hips and hummed during contractions, and had a lovely labor! My midwife always waits to cut the cord until it stops pulsing, baby on mama's chest, let's the placenta come when it's ready, has mama take a bath with baby, has daddy help weigh and measure...all the good stuff. I'm planning to have my placenta encapsulated this time, which is different. I need to set that up and then remember to call her to pick it up. Last time I used a doula, but this time I'm planning to have a (natural birthing) friend be here. I've talked to two friends, and depending on availability on the day, have one of them. I think our oldest (5 year old girl) wants to be here for the birth, so I suppose I need a plan for that, in case it's too much for her. Maybe my mom in the living room?
Old 07-20-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not really worried about the policies. We don't have the money to spare to pay for a homebirth and I don't like anyone in my space (it makes me uncomfortable thinking about the midwife coming into my house) so we're going with a birth center (which my insurance is covering 100%). Its within a hospital but separate enough that they don't follow regular L&D protocols. I can eat, I don't need an IV, ect.

There's just so much to talk about. Listing my son's attendance (and my mom, he needs his own caregiver), why I chose the birth center, that there's a possibility for cervical scar tissue (I had a cervical cancer scare between babies and had biopsies done), that DH or I would like to catch, that we want to do a breast crawl, things that I wasn't satisfied with during DS's birth, newborn procedures yes/no, preference for breastfeeding, no visitors, and that we'd like to stay "in the loop" if intervention or transfer becomes necessary... Its a whole page long once I add in spacing for readability.

I know I'm going to end up discussing these things with them anyway but its rotating care so I may end up birthing with a midwife who doesn't do appointments. I just want to be sure my ducks are in a row, no matter who is there or if I end up somewhere else.

Last edited by WifeofAnt; 07-20-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Adding last paragraph
Old 07-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Labor and freebirth at home with dh as my sole support. My mom is on call to come if we need an extra set of hands. If it's fast and dh doesn't make it, I'll go solo. If I require transfer to the hospital it'll be in the event of a life threatening situation, so a birth plan at that point would be thrown out anyway.

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If labor goes quickly again, then my plan is to have DH prepared enough for an unassisted birth at home. Thats not my plan A, though. I don't have my plan A yet. I am meeting with a midwife who does homebirths and would be willing to travel to where I live (no one does homebirths locally) in two weeks, and then I also have an appointment with a new OB to see how she is, but I dont even know what hospital she is affiliated with, and really can only go to the closest hospital, the other decent hospital is 45 min away and over 2 really long bridges. I dont want to give birth on a bridge!
Then we are going to schedule an appointment with another OB who is supposed to be really good. And she definitely works at the nearest hospital. So maybe she is my plan A? She is really natural-birth oriented, so I don't feel like I have to worry too much if I go with her.
My birth plan will probably end up being more like an after-the-baby-is-born plan, because it will most likely focus on newborn care. If this labor goes as fast as my first did, then anything before pushing doesnt really matter, as I likely wont be in the hospital for much time before pushing.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Only kid not cool enough for homebirth...

Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Yeah- no home birth for me either- maybe for my next kid, though. I'd love to do it: but we don't have any local midwives right now in our area and I'm not brave enough to try an unassisted birth for my first kid.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
Only kid not cool enough for homebirth...
LOL... no, you definitely aren't. I think maybe some people are confused about whether you're referring to a written statement of your expectations, goals, and wishes for those assisting in your care, or your "plan" for when/where/with whom you will give birth. At least, that's my assumption based on some of the responses so far.

I did a birth plan for my first (birth center with mws), but ultimately ended up feeling pretty silly about it, as virtually everything on the list was standard practice at the birth center. I will be doing another for this baby, as it will be a hospital birth (we moved to a state with no birth centers, and virtually no midwives) - and I think this one will be more important. But I haven't gotten around to it yet. I will share once I do, though.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post
LOL... no, you definitely aren't. I think maybe some people are confused about whether you're referring to a written statement of your expectations, goals, and wishes for those assisting in your care, or your "plan" for when/where/with whom you will give birth. At least, that's my assumption based on some of the responses so far.
Eh, either one. Mine is written out. A lot is standard for the birth center (delayed clamping, movement, baby immediately on chest, food in labor, intermittent monitoring, ect. so I don't have to write it down) but within the 'box' of natural birth different women want different things. Many are adamant they don't want to see crowning, I want to make that choice when I get there so I'd like a mirror on hand. We live in the Midwest, where it is still pretty common, so I want it in writing that we do not consent to circumcision. I also have a note that I am lactose intolerant.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
live in the Midwest, where it is still pretty common, so I want it in writing that we do not consent to circumcision. I also have a note that I am lactose intolerant.
Surely they wouldn't circumcise a baby in this day and age without explicit consent?! I would run like the wind from any medical facility that thought they shouldn't ask first about that!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post
Surely they wouldn't circumcise a baby in this day and age without explicit consent?! I would run like the wind from any medical facility that thought they shouldn't ask first about that!
I don't think they would but its still something I'm nervous about.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been curious about this topic too. I'm doing a hospital birth with a midwife, however I also have some low-grade hypertension issues and I have lots of questions about how that will effect my choices regarding l&d. I think my midwives will cover this topic at some point soon, but now that I'm in my third trimester (just barely, at 29.5 weeks), I feel the need to get all of these ducks in a row ... or at least start giving them some real thought.

I appreciate all the advice from you moms who have been through it! Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katealicia View Post
Mine is pretty nebulous at this point. I want to have a strong infusion on hand of RRL tea to aid things along once they've started. I also want to make some "labor-ade" to have for hydration.
What's labor-ade? That's a new one for me.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 PM

This is my first child and I (due to multiple pelvic fractures from a car accident) have to be in the hospital. I originally wanted a home water birth but sadly the structure of my pelvis won't allow me to do that. I was told by several doctors that I would have to have a c-section. This was devastating to me. I have fought tooth a nail with my doctors and at this point they are going to let me attempt to do it naturally and will step in if I can't. I'm reading a great book currently "Birthing from Within" but Pam England that has a lot of interesting things to say about labor and birth including birth plans! I really believe everyone here should check it out!!

Quote from the book

"Birth is what's happening while your busy writing your birth plan,"
Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You can just search "laborade" on Pinterest (might be "laboraid"). It has coconut water for hydration and rescue remedy for stress and it's just supposed to keep you hydrated and balanced. Sounds like the perfect thing for me as I don't anticipate wanting to eat and I refused water last time. I hate water so I should have had a backup plan and this time I do.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My birth plan is less than one page: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt3hcl9r9v...-%20Shared.doc

First, a lot of stuff that was on my original birth plan (for a baby born Oct 2011) was unnecessary. A lot of it was only relevant to events before arriving at the hospital OR it was standard care at my hospital and wasted precious space (like rooming in, not taking the baby for procedures without me, etc.)

I have a clotting disorder and am on blood thinners, so some of my preferences are different than the typical plan for a natural birth (for example, routine Pitocin during 3rd stage is advisable since my blood thinners will most likely still be in my system).

Also, I prefer to limit ultrasound technology, so my preferences include no EFM/Doppler.

I hope sharing my birth plan helps someone out!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:58 PM

If it helps, my first was born in a hospital and my birth plan had bullets such as (these are totally out of order):

Intermittent fetal monitoring
No induction, augmentation, or artificial breaking of water
Labor upright, walking, standing, squatting, and in tub
Don't offer pain meds
No hep B in hospital
Delay eye goop for 30 minutes
Parents bathe baby
No circ if a boy
No IV or heplock
Limit visitors during labor
Discharge within 24 hours if mom/baby doing well (we stayed the full time bc nursing wasn't going as well as hoped)

May be more but it was 7.5 years ago and I have preggo brain

My best suggestion (as a former L&D nurse who actually read birth plans): limit it to a page if at all possible. Bullets make it easier to read. Don't copy and paste a birth plan from the Internet or simply print a giant check list. Many nurses mock birth plans and think they're a joke. Have your dh or doula or whomever be ready to remind staff of your preferences. Good luck!

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:09 PM

Hmm.. I am on the fence. I've had both natural and epidural, and the epi was weird, but oh so nice after such a long and hard labor with #3 . So, I may opt for that again, but only after being at a 6-7cm. I've had a bad reaction to pit, so that will be in my plan, and everything else "crunchy" besides the medication. I'm ok with it. It's not ideal, and I know the risks, but I really just don't labor that well and I stress about it a lot.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!

User Tag List