measuring small - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
measuring small

I just had my 29 week doctor's appointment and she said I am measuring between 26-27cm, isn't this small? She didn't seem concerned but should I be? I have also gained significantly less weight with this pregnancy than my last 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The measurements are generally plus or minus 2 cm as far as comparing cm to weeks pregnant (so, if you are 29 weeks a typical range is 27-31 cm). But there is also a 0.5 cm margin of error for measurements with a tape measure. Which is why it is always good to measure twice, cut once when doing carpentry.

So, I'd say not to worry if they aren't worried. But to also trust your gut: if you are concerned, let your provider know.

Last edited by valerievalira; 07-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.
#3 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Technically, yes, but I wouldn't necessarily worry, for all the reasons Valerie gave. If you do feel like something is off, you can request an ultrasound to check baby's size and fluid levels. Or you could just wait and see how things are at your next appointment and go from there. Maybe baby's about to hit another growth spurt and just hasn't quite yet.
#4 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What did your clinician say about it? How are babies measuring?

I measured at 32 cm (last week at 26 weeks) but I'm pregnant with twins. The babies are at the 40% and 20% percentiles, which worried me some but my MFM said they were perfect relative to each other and relative to previous weeks' measurements. I'm trying to gain more weight because I'm well below recommended twin weight gain by this point but it's hard now. I'm so big and feel so full almost all the time. Been working on eating calorie-dense foods, like avocados, etc.
#5 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
measurement also depends on baby's position. if the baby is lying transverse it can measure lower then if baby is head down. they flip around so much at this stage! i would say you are in the range of normal, but also listen to your intuition. if your dr wasn't concerned then it is prob fine, although i would make sure next time that you share your concerns and also voice your thoughts about weight gain.

Jese Mom to Elaina (April 2007) & Macy (June 2010). #3 m/c at 10 weeks (July 2013), #4 m/c at 9 weeks (october 2013). Announcing baby Kayla, born October 21 2014.
#6 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your responses. Yes, my baby is lying transverse so maybe that is why my doctor was not concerned. With my first two pregnancies I started out weighing around 125-130 and ended at 170-180, which I realize is above recommended weight gain. This time I started at 150 and have only gained 10 pounds so far. I have mentioned it to the doctor 4weeks ago and she didn't seem concerned, so I wasn't. I have also had some sort of "sinus thing" for the last 2 and a half weeks which along with baby squishing my stomach has really reduced my appetite. I think I will bring it up again at 32weeks, just for peace of mind.
#7 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It sounds very normal to me, especially with baby lying transverse. Just to offer an anecdote, I measured 20cm at 24 weeks (no change from my 20 week fundal height!) and our "urgent" ultrasound showed normal fluid levels and a LARGER than average baby. The ultrasound tech said everything is perfect and I'm just "carrying small." Your body shape has a lot to do with it, too. It's hard to relax, but try! xx

Me: 31 Copilot: 37
Our son Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl!
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page