childcare ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
childcare ideas

So, this is the 800th thread I've started, but, I need some ideas, if anyone has them.

ok. So, originally I moved to so-sunny-it-sucks Arizona under the impression that my parents would be here to help me out with childcare, and because my partner lived half the year in this town. Well, my parents aren't going to be able to afford to move to this town and have offered to drive the 3 hours here to help me a few days a week, but, I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

So, here's the dilemma. My job is really odd. I am per diem- I only work when I am needed to. I don't leave the house some days, and other days I am gone all day. I also do a lot of work from home. I don't know how to go about hiring someone to come in to the house, when I may or may not be here.

My first step is going to be to ask my employer to put me on M,W,FR as days that I can go out in the field, so I won't be leaving the house at least 2 days out of the week and won't have to worry about it. If that happens, do I just have someone come in and help out around the house and then when I get a call to go out, be like, "see ya!"? Do people do that? We also really aren't made of money, either, so I don't even know how I would afford that. Dropping a kid off at daycare also wouldn't work- I work in hospice and when someone needs me to be there, I have to go. There isn't like a "let me go and drop my kid off first". And dropping them off on days where I may not even leave the house seems silly. I don't know, I am insanely anxious about this. I don't want to not work (I paid a lot of money for my degree and I love my work, it willkeep me sane) but I also don't know how the hell I am going to do this without family or friends here and such a weird job.

Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think having a consistent on-call schedule is going to be key for you, and it sounds to me like you have a pretty good idea of what your options are. You could hire someone to come in, help out around the house, and just generally be available on the days that you work, or you could enroll your LO in daycare part-time. I honestly can't think of any other options. If you can afford it, I'd go with the first option and hire a mother's helper who can help you with both housework and the baby. With both you and your partner working, things are going to get crazy around the house after your LO arrives (been there, done that).

And yeah, no matter what you decide, it's going to be expensive. I went back to work when DD was 10 weeks old. She went to a really wonderful, reasonably priced (nonprofit with a sliding fee scale) daycare, and it still ate up half my income every month.

Good luck getting it figured out! I'm always so jealous of parents who have family nearby to help out.

partners.gif  +babyf.gifjoy.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd start with shopping around for licensed in home daycare providers! I found one in my area who was happy to reserve a spot for my son on the days I needed her. Basically she didn't want to use her max # of allowable spots because she didn't want to feel stretched too thin every single day, but she liked getting the extra income on the days when I needed care. I only pay for the days I use. (I'm unemployed now, so I rarely use her, but it was a godsend when I needed it!)

When working out an arrangement, you could offer to help her out a little too, maybe by running errands for her, being her back-up when she is sick (will require you to do a background check and probably get CPR certified) etc. These are all things I've done for my daycare provider, mainly because we've become friendly over the years, but also because it's mutually beneficial.
#4 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That PRN type of work is challenging when it comes to finding child care. Is there anyone you've met there that could be on call- like you could drop off your baby last minute and she could do the same? Maybe set up a 10-15 (or whatever works) hours per week that you'd watch each others' kids but the actual times aren't set in stone?
#5 of 6 Old 08-02-2014, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
my husband quit his job for similar reasons. now he is self employed and can work hours that work with my work schedule. I also changed my schedule after having baby number 1, to work mostly evenings and week-ends, when dad is around to stay with baby.
Now that we are expecting number 3 and DS1 is going to kindergarten in september, I will probably start working nights in a year or 2, so I can see my kids.

what I have learned: what worked for us when we where childless, doesn't work anymore with babies, then needs change again over time.
money comes and goes. there are always solutions to any kind of job dilemma.

if you have time, read this book, it gives inspiration:
http://store.llli.org/public/profile/125

it focuses on breastfeeding and different work solutions. It gave me ideas even outside breastfeeding.

good luck.
#6 of 6 Old 08-08-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In our case, husband's job would equal out the cost of child care, so he's gonna stay home and take care of baby.

Maybe you could just budget for child care 3 days a week so that you know what you'll be paying and then you get a day to yourself of you end up not working while baby is in care. Not ideal when you'd probably spend time with your baby, I know. Or, just eat those extra days of child care whether you use then or not. I have a friend who had to pay for a whole month of cc just to hold their spot before they were actually ready to use the child care. It's a frustrating situation, for sure. Good luck mama!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page