2Likes
  • 1 Post By wengrin
  • 1 Post By kcc153

#1 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy Don't judge please. :[

Let me start off by saying I suffer from clinical depression and insomnia, so I do partake in smoking marijuana to help sleep.

The problem is I live in a state where it isn't legal. I also underestimated how long THC could stay in my system or my baby's system. (I did my research on the effects and found nothing that was worrying or harmful.)
I've heard that the doctors test the placenta/meconium as soon as you have the baby, no matter what. But I've also heard that they don't test unless they have a good reason to/probable cause.
My due date is in October, which should give ME time to get clean, but I don't think I can detox my baby's system in the same way.
So I guess my few questions to you are:
1.Does anyone know if doctor's in GA do placenta/Meconium testing without probable cause?
2.is there anyway to quickly detox my system before the birth?
3. How far back do those tests go?

I REALLY don't want my integrity as a mother to be questioned because of a herb that helps me sleep/not have panic attacks.
I don't want CPS to get involved at all, especially since this is my first child and I'm SO excited to be a mom.
Like the title says, please don't judge. I'm just crazy paranoid and scared and I need someone's advice.
Thank you so much in advance.
#2 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is homebirth an option? I'd stay out of the hospital personally (well, because I love hb, but I also don't have any advice for you in this situation otherwise). Sorry you're in a tough spot!

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#3 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't think they routinely test for things unless they have suspicion, but I don't know for sure. I would just take every step possible to clean yourself and baby out safely before the baby is born. Can you talk with your doctor about it? I know the last thing you would want is for the doctor/ nurses not to know and then your baby could suffer because of withdrawals. I'm so sorry....I wish I had better advice. If you can't talk with your doctor I would try to arrange a private consult with another doctor or midwife who can give you good advice on how to best take care of the baby and yourself so that no side effects are experienced by baby. I imagine this must happen more often than most would think. Good luck to you.
Ramanie likes this.
#4 of 14 Old 08-26-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleeS View Post
Is homebirth an option? I'd stay out of the hospital personally (well, because I love hb, but I also don't have any advice for you in this situation otherwise). Sorry you're in a tough spot!
I don't think homebirthing is an option with the doctor I was planning on using.
but it doesn't hurt to ask at my next visit, I suppose.
#5 of 14 Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengrin View Post
I don't think they routinely test for things unless they have suspicion, but I don't know for sure. I would just take every step possible to clean yourself and baby out safely before the baby is born. Can you talk with your doctor about it? I know the last thing you would want is for the doctor/ nurses not to know and then your baby could suffer because of withdrawals. I'm so sorry....I wish I had better advice. If you can't talk with your doctor I would try to arrange a private consult with another doctor or midwife who can give you good advice on how to best take care of the baby and yourself so that no side effects are experienced by baby. I imagine this must happen more often than most would think. Good luck to you.
Thank you! I have been using detox methods but I don't know if they work for the baby as well.
Since it is illegal here, I don't know how the doctors would react to me telling them.
#6 of 14 Old 08-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would be worried about the side effects of detox treatments (like mega dose of b-vitamins) If I were you I'd be super duper careful about trying to speed up how quickly it gets out of your system.

My husband says he knows of someone who had this done to them and tested positive. He says she told her MD that she has smoked in the past and wala! They tested her. His advice is if you are asked if you smoke say NO!

I would look up the law in your state. In my state of VA it is allowed only with probable cause- saying yes to smoking in the past is probable cause. (Googled: drug testing delivery virginia).

Oh! Husband found a site that lists which states have mandatory reporting to CPS.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...580248/?page=3

If your state doesn't and they do test you, hopefully you can talk them out of reporting it. Good luck! So sorry you have to go through this. US drug laws are so stupid!
#7 of 14 Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 PM

Your doctor can't/won't attend a homebirth (I'm almost completely certain of that), but I was suggesting that you change providers - choosing a homebirth midwife. I know most midwives would be much more understanding/tolerant of your use.

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#8 of 14 Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I know my OB handles cases of women who are on illegal drugs when they deliver because he volunteers once a month to take walk-ins at the hospital. I definitely agree with the other person who said don't say a word to the hospital when you deliver and I guess if you don't know if your doctor would say anything then don't tell him/her. I wish there was someone you could ask that would just give you straight info without worrying that they would report you. I wish you the very best.
#9 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I smoked marijuana on occasion for years before I got pregnant. To me it's not more harmful (probably even less) than a beer, but that's besides the point and not the meaning of this thread. Also for similar reasons. In the past I suffered from work related stress and insomnia.

Then I became a housewife and only smoked with my husband on occasion while having a tea and a conversation.. just to relax. But I did stop once I decided to have a baby.

My midwife also asked me if I ever smoked weed and I obviously said NO.. you NEVER say yes.. never....

So unless you act suspicious or give them reason to believe you are using it.. I don't think they routinely test it though. But I would check for your particular state..
#10 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I could give you a big I recently read a thread in which someone asked pretty much the same thing you've asked and she also lives in Georgia: Marijuana Use During Pregnancy and CPS Involvement

It's an old thread but there's a lot of great info in it, I highly recommend perusing the comments s

L mama to I (3/11) wife to J

“You couldn't relive your life, skipping the awful parts, without losing what made it worthwhile. You had to accept it as a whole--like the world, or the person you loved.”
Stewart O'Nan
#11 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 PM

I'm very sorry you are going through this.

Please take whatever you can from my advice - my professional knowledge is a bit rusty and 10 years out of date BUT I am also in Georgia and in my previous life (before kids) I worked, not for CPS, but with an agency that did contract work for and with local CPS. You need to be very careful. Doctors and nurses are mandated reporters and there is no way you can just get advice from one about this. I'm sorry I don't know whether all babies are routinely drug tested - you need to find this out now, so that you can make your plans. If they test you, you will be reported to CPS. They don't have a choice. In my experience, CPS tends to come down very hard in cases with drug positive babies, I think because it's black and white proof, something they can take to court. So many CPS cases are hard to substantiate, but drug use they can prove, so they tend to really follow up on these.

My best advice would be to talk to a family law attorney, NOT a medical person. An attorney is not mandated to disclose your drug use, (in fact they legally can't) so you can be honest. You need to find out what the law says, what your rights are and above all, what to do should CPS become involved in you case. If worse comes to worse and you do end up with a case against you, if you have a lawyer from the beginning you will be treated more respectfully, things will go more smoothly and court dates, meetings, etc. will happen in a more timely manner. (Unfair but true.) DO NOT wait until you end up in court with a court appointed attorney. Do whatever you have to do to get one now - the consultation at least might be free.

Second, the home birth option might really be something to explore. I know midwifery laws are pretty restrictive in GA, but there are options, especially if you are near a larger city. I would suggest at least researching this option, but not with your doctor - I can almost guarantee you won't get answers. You would need to be quite low risk, and of course you would need to be committed to a natural birth and that takes some research and preparation. In your situation, I would definitely consider it.

I hope I haven't come across as discouraging and bossy, I truly don't mean to be and I really sympathize. Please don't panic, but don't just do nothing and hope for the best. You can get through this but you need to be informed and prepared. I truly wish you the best, and please keep us posted.
ashleeS likes this.
#12 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Look into birthing at The Farm in Summertown, TN. Fabulous midwives there. It was covered by my friends insurance when a homebirth in her state wouldn't because of the laws.
#13 of 14 Old 08-27-2014, 07:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Ramanie
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bemommy View Post
Let me start off by saying I suffer from clinical depression and insomnia, so I do partake in smoking marijuana to help sleep.

The problem is I live in a state where it isn't legal. I also underestimated how long THC could stay in my system or my baby's system. (I did my research on the effects and found nothing that was worrying or harmful.)
I've heard that the doctors test the placenta/meconium as soon as you have the baby, no matter what. But I've also heard that they don't test unless they have a good reason to/probable cause.
My due date is in October, which should give ME time to get clean, but I don't think I can detox my baby's system in the same way.
So I guess my few questions to you are:
1.Does anyone know if doctor's in GA do placenta/Meconium testing without probable cause?
2.is there anyway to quickly detox my system before the birth?
3. How far back do those tests go?

I REALLY don't want my integrity as a mother to be questioned because of a herb that helps me sleep/not have panic attacks.
I don't want CPS to get involved at all, especially since this is my first child and I'm SO excited to be a mom.
Like the title says, please don't judge. I'm just crazy paranoid and scared and I need someone's advice.
Thank you so much in advance.
Hi soon2bemommy,
My heart goes out to you for what you are experiencing now. Can you not take medicine and therapy from your GP for clinical depression? I would take every step to get yourself and baby cleaned before birth too. This forum has given you great advice. So take courage and persevere.
#14 of 14 Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't know about how often (or if) hospitals actually test the meconium but an internet search shows it can deposit in meconium any time in the second half of pregnancy (meconium starts being deposited early in the second trimester). There is no way to detox it from meconium.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !

Tags
dont judge , marijuana , meconium testing , placenta testing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page