Mothering Forum banner

castor oil experiences

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  lilitchka 
#1 ·
So, I pretty much have the option to get my labor going with castor oil, or go the hospital to have my birth, as I am over my due date by two weeks... My midwife recommends I do this over the weekend rather than have to be transported to the hospital and I guess I would rahter od that, too, but I hate this stupid law.. anyway. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with it and could tell me what it was like.. I am hoping there is at least one good story out there. But, tell me the truth. thanks!

#2 ·
I have taken castor oil twice. It was fine. It makes contractions maybe a little harder, but not as hard as a pit induction. I would do it again if faced with a hospital induction. My only caution is if you are not regular, try to poo before taking it.

#3 ·
I have a good story from our DD birth 5 days ago.

I had GD on insulin, so midwives didn't accept me as a client.
My doctor wanted to induce me at 38 weeks (hospital protocol for GD on insulin). I refused after careful review of the literature. Most guidelines out there recommend inducing by 40 weeks max. The most gentle guidelines, from WHO, still recommend to not let the pregnancy go beyond 41 weeks.

at 41+4 weeks , I was still pregnant. (my 2 other babies arrived much earlier). I accepted an induction at 41+5. I was getting nervous, my last baby was 11lb 2onces and born at 39+2 (home birth). Had bad shoulder dystocia and meconium aspiration syndrome and was in NICU for 3 weeks. So I was getting nervous for this baby.

The day before induction I decided to go for castor oil, but really not convinced. My sister who was visiting was discouraging me, showing me a study on 612 women, and the conclusion: didn't induce labor, but no bad side effects neither (except diarrhea and sometimes nausea, but no increased meconium in baby or any distress for baby or problems for mom).
I thought OK, it probably won't work, but I have to try it before my induction the next day, just so I can say ''I tried everything''.

at 10 am I took 2 onces with liquid yogurt. It was not disgusting at all. it was good!. 2 hours later I had liquid stools +++. then contractions started, but not painful, and not regular. I had 2 weeks of prodromal labor on and off, almost daily, and it felt the same. at 4 pm, contraction where still there, and I started feeling hopeful. went for a good walk, and they faded. at 7 pm, I was completely contractions free for over an hour. I was so discouraged, and decided to try another 2 onces of castor oil again. I was expecting to have diarrhea again at9 pm. I took a nice bath, still no contractions at all at 8 pm. started feeling super cold, completely abnormal for me. I stayed in bed under the covers until 9 pm, and then small painless contractions started. at 9:30 pm, I was getting annoyed by everyone at home and isolated myself in the kitchen. tried to have some tea to warm up, but couldn't really drink it, a friend called, and I said I was not in labor yet, induction is tomorrow. at 10 pm, all of a sudden, contractions got intense, so I called my doula, and said: I am in labor, but no rush, I have very long labors. then contractions got intense, I had to go to the bedroom and really work hard on relaxing ad breathing.I asked DH to come with me and do counter-pressure in my back (again back labor, like all my babies, she was posterior). I started losing contact with reality. looked at the watch, it was 10:30, doula not here yet. I decided to take a bath, but also thought the 2nd dose of CO started working on my bowels. would sit on the toilet, but nothing. as I was getting into the bath, doula came in and said:eek:h, you are in active labor!
I stayed in the bath 15 minutes, working hard with contractions. all of a sudden, felt like pooping, and thouht: CO againg, I will just poop in the bath! doula realised I want to push and yelled to DH: pack the car, we are leaving now! I realised baby will be out with the next 2-3 contractions if I push. I don't know how I got out of the bath, doula made me do the superficial breathing through contractions and not push. got in the minivan wet with only a nightdress on me the doula found on the floor. we live 2 minutes from the hospital. I picked up a blanket on the way out thinking: baby will be born in the car, she will be cold. in the car, it was really hard to not push through th 3 contractions I had. but I was able to say: I am not going through the ER! No way!
doula and DH (who was driving super fast) reluctantly agreed . they through me on the wheel chair and ran with me to the triage of L and D. in the triage the nurse asked me to lie in bed so she could examine me. I said: no, and started pushing standing in the middle of the room. the nurse didn't have time to put gloves on and caught my baby who came in one pouch, with intact membranes. (funny, because my planned induction the next day was supposed to be by AROM). she handed her to me, and she stayed on me for 2 hours. nurses where too busy figuring out my name, transporting me to a L&D room, calling a doctor ect.
I didnt need stirches, and we are both doing very well. now I am crazy in love with her!

I d

#4 ·
That is an awesome story lilitchka!! Thank you for sharing. Such a happy ending :)
How big was she?

Somthinwitty: I would go for the castor oil for sure! Wishing you all the luck and labor vibes I can send :)

Still prego here. Official dd not until the 31st, but this is my third and I have never been prego this long. Getting very cranky and impatient. May just be trying that castor oil soon too.....

#6 ·
I used castor oil with my first because my water broke and wasn't having contractions. didn't do much for me…
With my second i was 11 days late and my bradley teacher told me to take blue cohosh. I got the homeopathic version and
whole foods (little pellets) worked right away! Im 39 weeks tomorrow and my midwife suggested i start taking it now a few times a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.