Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 04-22-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there!

Anyone planning a home birth?

I am, EDD 11/11/2014. I am 11 weeks now. When should I start interviewing Midwives and Doulas?

homebirth.jpg EDD 11/11/2014 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi! I'm doing a homebirth. I interviewed mine at 4 weeks hehe and had our first appt last week at 12 weeks. I was excited though and there's not a lot of homecare providers in our area. I think you could start any time at all, probably preferably before 30 weeks, and be fine! Yay for homebirth!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I too am doing a homebirth!  I am so excited, I feel very confident and do not have the same fears of labor like I did with my two hospital births (which really sucked).  I interviewed and booked my midwife at 5 weeks and then one at 6 weeks and my first appointment is this Friday morning!  I love my midwife and her assistant they seem like such great caring people.  It is so refreshing to have that kind of care.  She has a sweet little home office out in the country and it so cozy.  My son was playing with the toys in the room and when he went for another she gently and kindly reminded him to put the other toys away first; and I think that is when I fell in love with her lol, very family based good loving care.  congratulations on your pregnancy!

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am. It will be my third and I just cannot figure out having it anywhere else. I am still discussing the option of the birth center with my DH bc of the money but it isn't even looking like it will be less.  I like to get in contact with my mw asap so that I can reserve a spot in that month.  If you are going to interview several, I would start now.  but you do have time to change or figure things out if you need to.  It really varies based on the demand for midwives and number of midwives practicing in your area.  I am that person that hurries up to have it all set :)

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 PM

This will be my 3rd home birth. I was contemplating going unassisted, but don't think hubby will be okay with it. I am 8 weeks now so probably will be calling the midwife within the next 2 weeks. Love having my babies at home!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'm 10 weeks, and I have my "interview" appointment with HB midwives next Tuesday - they're my 1st choice (before interviews), if I don't feel like we're a good match, my next two options are hospital based birth centers.  I'm a little nervous that the other two might give me some flack about waiting so long to find a provider, but I think the midwives generally have a bit more trust that we can handle ourselves for awhile!

DH(38) + I(37) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 2/2014 - IVF cycle =  due in mid November!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"Home birth" at The Farm for me! smile.gif I could not be more excited. My mom just texted me to ask why I chose The Farm over just having the birth in my home and this is what I said:

For starters, because home birth is not a big culture here, choices in midwives are not varied. I would probably like one just fine, but the thing you have to understand is that the midwives at The Farm are the best of the best. They are the midwives all other American midwives venerate.

And it's so beautiful and peaceful. I don't LOVE my home. I like it okay, but I really love the idea of being in a clean, not cluttered cabin in the woods where I can take a nature walk mid-labor and dip my feet in the creek. A mid-labor walk here would consist of strolling by the crack dealer's house. smile.gif It will also be quiet. Here, dogs bark incessantly and guns are shot at any hour of the night.

Honestly, I have a feeling I'll go to The Farm for as many "home births" as I can. It's a birth community, too. Odds are good that there will be another new mama or two due around the same time for me to bond with. It's so perfect for me.

That about sums it up...so for me, I called and sent in my deposit pretty much the day I got my positive test! LOL...I wanted it so much, I wasn't taking any chances.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:55 PM

I'm having a home birth this time and so happy about it. With my son, I had one planned and bought a birth pool and everything, but I went into labour on a day that my midwifes back up person was out of town. Here in BC, there has to be a midwife plus a medical person at a home birth. So I laboured at home for as long as I could and went to the hospital and had a wonderful birth. I really want to do it at home though!

There was only one midwife practicing in my area when I was pregnant last time and I hated her. She was awful! I looked into every possible alternative to have a home birth, like going unassisted or hiring an unlicensed midwife. I should have just gone with a doctor since I ended up in the hospital lol. I did stick with her, but I was glad to be rid of her. Now there is another midwife practicing and she is awesome! I'm so happy. She also has pretty much guaranteed that she will have many back ups and I will have my baby at home. 

When you start meeting midwives depends on how many there are in your area and how quickly they fill up. It seems to vary here. I called at about 6 weeks to "save my spot" and then had my first appointment at 9 weeks.

Karla (25), loving having and growing a family: my amazing man, DS (2), DSD (7), a dog and two cats. Expecting my second  May 2nd and so excited to
Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am as well, just interviewed and chose my midwife yesterday at 9wks and scheduled my first appointment for 12wks. My first was born in a non-hb friendly state so I ended up in a hospital with an OB. Never again unless complications arise.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:11 AM

This will be my second homebirth. First was a u/c, this time we will have a midwife. Everything went fine the first time but DH feels more comfortable with a midwife there. We already chose and met with the midwife. Have another appointment coming up in a week.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This is my second homebirth. I Assn leaving for 8 weeks, so I will not meet with my midwife until late June, but have already been in contract with her. This is not the same midwife I had 9 years ago, i live in a different area now.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I'm doing a homebirth as well.  I started interviewing midwives pretty much right away when I found out I was pregnant, had an 'official' interview with the midwife I chose when I was about 5.5 weeks, first appt at 8 weeks, and my next appt is on Monday when I'm 12 weeks.  

I'd start as soon as you can- most midwives have a limit for how many mamas they take each month.  

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

Old 04-26-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Now I feel confident enough to start calling them. I was scared they would tell me I was too early.

homebirth.jpg EDD 11/11/2014 
Old 04-26-2014, 01:23 PM

I had my first child naturally but in the hospital. Definitely hoping for a hb this time, would eliminate a lot of unnecessary expense and stress!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:56 PM

I will most certainly not have a home birth. I ended up having an emergency cesarean section with my son because he was a LGA baby and he got stuck in my pelvis. My pregnancy with him was practically storybook perfect, too. This new pregnancy is high risk simply because of my previous miscarriages, but I'm not taking any chances. 

Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 PM

What is LGA? Best of luck to you koopa! Wishing you a peaceful one this time.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
LGA= large for gestational age, basically >95th percentile for weight.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks Ratchet! I think I had one of those last time. Over 9 lb. at term. :)

Old 04-27-2014, 10:06 AM

I'm planning a home birth, and I think I considered it a natural idea because I was born at home. This is my first child, so I am nervous about everything. But we are only a 10 minute drive from the hospital, so I feel additional help is close at hand if I need it, and unnecessary interventions will be kept at a safe distance assuming I don't.

I interviewed a two-midwife team at week 6 and took a couple of weeks to think it over before making my first appointment for 12 weeks, and committing to work with them. They offer a combination of office and home visits, so that they come to our place toward the end of the pregnancy, which I am happy about.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

yay for being born at home, my four siblings and I were born at home which definitely helped sway me in this direction and after two horrible hospital births sealed the deal for me.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-27-2014, 01:52 PM

I will be doing a home birth.  My first son was a hospital birth and my second and third sons were home births.  I loved my home births!  I was much more at ease and trusting of my body in my home births and so I know that is where I birth best.  I'm excited to start planning.  I've had many miscarriages since my last son was born so I know my midwife probably too well for her liking (that's a bit of a joke:rotflmao ).  She has gotten to hear from me and see my for the past 8 years so she feels like family.  I'm excited to talk through plans of home births with other mamas!   

Stay At Home Mama to Three Sons (11, 9, and 8.)  Many, many miscarriages in the past 8 years.  chicken3.gif
Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I was tempted to, because we live on an orchard and it's very picturesque. I had the odd fantasy about giving birth under an apple tree.

Decided against it in the end, because:

-I really like the birthing centre and the food!

-Our house is further away from the hospital than I'd prefer in the event of a transfer

-Our hot water lasts for about two minutes

-I'd feel like I had to clean the house, and/or be distracted and aggrieved by the mess during labour.

I'm pro-homebirth, and it seems funny to me that I've never had one; but in the end I'm just as happy with our birthing centre. It's lovely and homelike and has these awesome fabric slings that hang from the ceiling that you can pull and lean on and sit in during labour if you want. 

Then again, active labour with DS was pretty fast, so it's not inconceivable that I'll have an accidental homebirth anyway! I'm cool with that. 

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:05 PM

We are planning our 4th homebirth. Our first son was born in the UK, but we have had the same midwife here in the US for the second two births. I contacted her around 7w and met with her at 12 smile.gif

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boys Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (3) and ??? due November
Old 04-28-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamumama View Post

What is LGA? Best of luck to you koopa! Wishing you a peaceful one this time.

Ratchet has it down right. LGA is often defined as a weight, length, or head circumference that lies above the 90th percentile. My son, unfortunately, was over the 95% percentile in pretty much every category.
My son was 9# 15.6 oz with over a 15" head circumference and a 23" long body. Poor kid never did fit in newborn clothes, lol.

Crazy thing was I didn't have gestational diabetes. But then again, I am a fairly tiny lady while my husband is a stocky, 6'4" tall Neanderthal, so I suppose I should've seen it coming. :)

Thank you for the well wishes, shamu. I pray the best for you as well. 

Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 AM

Wow, I guess my #1 was LGA too. Roughly the same measurements, 21" and a tish heavier. Hubby and I are both small and thin, so I chalked it up to the prenatal vitamins and my giant appetite. The placenta was huge too, and I gained 50lb with the pregnancy.   It was kind of a bummer that I never had the "tiny" baby with those teeny weeny little toes, LO#1 was like a two month old at birth! LOL But then we fell off the charts and she was slow to grow, so she fell back into the family profile. My (ex)pedi gave us hell over that - I guess the good doctor was expecting the baby to miraculously become a linebacker with teeny little parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopabrat View Post

Ratchet has it down right. LGA is often defined as a weight, length, or head circumference that lies above the 90th percentile. My son, unfortunately, was over the 95% percentile in pretty much every category.
My son was 9# 15.6 oz with over a 15" head circumference and a 23" long body. Poor kid never did fit in newborn clothes, lol.

Crazy thing was I didn't have gestational diabetes. But then again, I am a fairly tiny lady while my husband is a stocky, 6'4" tall Neanderthal, so I suppose I should've seen it coming. :)

Thank you for the well wishes, shamu. I pray the best for you as well. 

Old 05-03-2014, 09:45 PM

I'm also due 11/11 and planning a home birth! I started interviewing midwives before I was pregnant, but that's just me, I've been baby crazy for a long time! I had my first prenatal visit at 10 weeks, and another at 12 so I could get bloodwork done and have her look at it, but my next one isn't until 16 weeks.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 PM

I'm jealous!! Really wanted a home birth but there's only one MW in the area that does them and she has appts only 3 days a week from 9-1. Wouldn't fly with my job. :-(. Picked a great birth center and hoping to use the other midwife next time.

so far a mommy to 2 standard poodles, enjoying my 1st year of marriage to DH and expecting my 1st child (after 1 loss)
Old 06-15-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I have had 3 uc births at home... planning 4th .....in my area, we have limited midwives available .....I interviewed 2 with my 3rd birth but didn't approve either so I uc birthed and have done the same with all births afterwards
Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM

I am! I was using one midwife but switched
To another in the same group bc I feel
More comfortable/confident with her. She has
Two other hb in mid nov. That were scheduled
Before me. So I will have to go to hospital
If one of them is in labor same time as me. I'm
Really hoping not. I'm due nov. 3rd so hoping
I go a little early.... We shall see. I really want
The hb experience.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:13 AM

I am! Third birth, 2nd homebirth w/ same mw as birth #2 . Had my 1st in hospital naturally and decided I wasn't doing that again. Little to no support for natural birth. I was their only natural delivery in a month, and the only vaginal delivery that week. Aftercare was also awful as it was December, and we were told most of the 'good' nurses were on holiday vacation, so we had 1st semester community college nursing students taking care of us who had no idea what they were doing. I still have trouble 10 yrs later w/ my left hand where 2 students pulled my IV out wrong, but didn't tell me they were students til after. The one actual nurse we saw was strange, kept telling us how awful her 8 & 10 yr olds were, and started crying in my room b/c they didn't appreciate her. I was denied access to my baby for 5 hrs b/c she was 'cold.' DH was also not allowed in the nursery to be w/ her for 'safety reasons.' Oh, and the crazy, crying nurse hung out in our room for an hour after they finally brought her to me, crying about her kids til dh asked her very gently to leave so we could bond w/ our baby. She looked offended, left, and our aftercare only went downhill from there.

User Tag List