What to buy for new baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-11-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I have a decent grasp of what to have stocked in the nursery for a new baby, but I feel like I'm forgetting something. I haven't had to do this in 9 years. Also, DS was a May baby, so I never had to deal with the winter with a brand new baby, so I'm a little apprehensive about that. The winters get cold here in CO. I'm trying to be as minimalistic as possible since our apartment is small and we're planning on moving from CO to PA next spring. 

This is what I've thought up so far:

Diapers

Winter-appropriate clothing

Hats

Socks

Onsies

Blankets / Bedding

Carrier? Sling? Not sure about this one.

Stroller

Crib that converts to toddler bed (we're reusing DS's old crib, thank goodness my mom had the common sense to store this for us)

Burp Cloths

Bouncer

Maybe a swing

One or two of those one-piece fleece / quilted snuggle outfits with the hoods, whatever they're called

Convertible carseat

Diaper bag

Changing table

Any further suggestions? Comments?

#2 of 16 Old 05-11-2014, 06:28 PM

The only thing I have on my list specifically for baby that you didn't mention is a baby tub. Also maybe a nursing pillow and a rocking chair. I'm not really doing a nursery right away, so I'm skipping the crib, changing table, bouncer, and swing, but I also have a Moses basket on my list because I think they're adorable, and I can use it for toys or whatever later. smile.gif And a bed rail, because we'll be co-sleeping.
#3 of 16 Old 05-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Sleep sacks or something similar
YES to a carrier!
#4 of 16 Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Absolutely yes on the carrier.  I recommend having both carrier and sling.  Switch it up, see what you're most comfortable with.  The crib that converts to a toddler bed, is one of the best inventions ever.  Since we don't have the old crib, we found one that goes from infant to toddler to full size.  For the cold weather, I saw some of these pouch onesie type clothing items that are super warm.  I can't remember their name, but I was told they are great for winter newborns.  

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 10 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#5 of 16 Old 05-12-2014, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
How about receiving blankets (which can double as a burp cloth, changing mat, even folded oragmi style as a flat diaper) snuggley fleece or wool blankets...
My own personal preference is a ring sling, I don't care for all the buckles, snaps, and extra time that carriers entail. But I know for some they are a must.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#6 of 16 Old 05-12-2014, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions, ladies!
I felt a bit cheated because I never realized baby carriers or slings existed until we went to Disney World when DS was 6 months old (and almost 20#, lol). I thought everyone used strollers! How ignorant I was. :) I'm only iffy about them now because I'm not sure how well my back's gonna hold up these days. Guess time will tell.

#7 of 16 Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Pants (although that falls under winter appropriate clothing I guess)?  I really don't love the one piece suits, except for the ones with zippers during the first few weeks.  I'm planning on stocking up on footed pants in 0-3 and 3-6 sizes (my daughter was a May baby too, so I don't have much winter stuff in those sizes).  

swaddles or sleep sacks

I'm also a huge fan of the zutano booties that snap.  They actually stay on little feet (as opposed to socks). 

I agree that a carrier is a must.  I like a boba wrap (prefer theirs to Moby wraps b/c the fabric is thicker) for the first 4 months or so, and then a beco or an ergo for bigger babies.  My daughter was kind of on/off with the sling until she was about six months old (she really liked it when she was 2-3 months old, and then hated it for a few months), and the stretchy wrap carriers are easier to move around with, plus they are warmer for the winter.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

#8 of 16 Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I'm not sure what it is called, but my favorite thing I received as a baby shower gift seven years ago with my first was a... It is kind of like a cozy fleecy bag that buckles right into the car seat.  You slip baby in and the buckles are right there.  Then you don't need to worry about a blanket getting into baby's face when they are turned away from you in the car.  And they are so snuggle and warm looking, very convenient in my opinion for a winter baby.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#9 of 16 Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Great post!  It's only been 2 years for us and I still feel like I'm racking my brain to remember exactly what I'll need this time around. 

If you haven't already bought a changing table (since you mention you are going to be moving and not wanting to fill up your apt) I have an idea.  We too bought a changing table and NEVER used it.  All of our bedrooms were on a different floor than our main living space and I didn't want to have to walk upstairs every time she messed her diaper!  We just bought the changing pad, put a cover on it and left it, along with a basket full of diapers/wipes/other changing needs, on the floor.  The changing pad was easy to lean up against the wall too to save space!

For winter, my DD loved the fleece Halo sleep sacs (with the swaddle option) to sleep in.  They are warm and cozy and she needed to be tightly swaddled!  

We live in MN and we too needed an option for the car seat to keep her warm.  We purchased a "shower cap" car seat cover (not the kind that went under her) as they are supposed to be much safer than the kind that goes under the baby. This is the one we bought and it was AWESOME!  It even has a small blanket attached to it that kept my DD wonderfully warm the whole winter! 

http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Jumper-Arctic-Sneak-Infant/dp/B005LVNS4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400005014&sr=8-1&keywords=Arctic+car+seat+cover  

There are a lot of varying opinions on the safety of the ones that go under the baby (and at the same time they are very popular). We chose not to risk it and went with the shower cap cover but most of our family members went with the other kind.  To each their own right :-)

#10 of 16 Old 05-13-2014, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

oh that looks like an awesome car seat cover!  I can imagine it would be great for snowy or rainy weather as it totally covers baby from the elements.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#11 of 16 Old 05-13-2014, 05:46 PM

Great suggestions ladies! I think you have it covered! Mamasings I like your car seat cover advice. We live in Florida but visit family in Northeast where the winters can be brutal. Babies need to be kept warm but most importantly safe while in the car. Here is a link to a website that has great suggestions on what to use to keep our LOs safe and warm.
http://thecarseatlady.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/aftermarket/
#12 of 16 Old 05-13-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Car seat covers! I never would've thought about those! Thank you!!

#13 of 16 Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopabrat View Post

Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions, ladies!

I felt a bit cheated because I never realized baby carriers or slings existed until we went to Disney World when DS was 6 months old (and almost 20#, lol). I thought everyone used strollers! How ignorant I was. smile.gif I'm only iffy about them now because I'm not sure how well my back's gonna hold up these days. Guess time will tell.

Good ones don't hurt your back unless you are using it for extended periods of time. Plus if you use it regularly from early on, your muscles grow with the baby.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#14 of 16 Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Bump
#15 of 16 Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
as for changing table....a lot of people just put the contoured changing pad on top of a low dresser ...obviously this is for lo that isn't rolling or too squirmy..but it might help save space until you move =)

each child is different when it comes to sling...my 4th child was in a sling any time we were not home or in the car...this continued until she was about 1 or so...my babies are small, so I never had any issues....I had one of the slings that look like a duffle bag...but they were later recalled...I never had any issues...only thing that annoyed me is that people would somewhat rudely ask if I was just carrying my baby in a duffle bag.....and others would be like how does she breath?? I would politely say, "through the mesh!" http://www.sampa.com/killer-toys/inf...nt/baby-sling/ I don't know if they ever redid the sling...but this was my fav type.....so easy to use. I also had d ring sling, but it hurt my shoulder, always felt like it was slipping and could never get tight enough for me to feel secure...I did like that it had a built in nursing cover though....I had a traditional carrier but never used it because I didn't like the look...I never tried a moby, but they looked too complicated.

my last child couldn't do footed sleepers because he would get his feet tangled (very active from the start), but baby in a bags (as we jokingly called them) were great....except when putting them in a car seat...some of them have a slip through spot for the car seat parts....

also yes car seat covers are great...although I will say that I question how well they breath....my friend has a really neat homemade one that covers really great but gives the baby more opportunity to breath..although might not be best in heavy winds
http://kadydiddesigns.blogspot.com/p...at-covers.html

I like any toys that connect to things like the carseat, changing table, highchair...because they cant be thrown on the floor or lost easily ...if you don't mind plastic link a doos are great and other toys can connect to them...I also use them to connect sippy cups with handles or it could work for a sports bottle too with a handle. http://www.yogee.com.au/fisher-price...ck-p-6561.html
#16 of 16 Old 07-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn612 View Post
Bump
Thanks Marilyn612!

****5****10****15****20****25*** 30****35****40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page