Baby Names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

#1 of 55 Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Baby Names

I think this is the hardest decision of my entire life...

Such power and fear there is in choosing what to call a life for the rest of their existence!

That being said, DH and I already have a boy name picked out; Marshall Dean. Combines my DH name, my dad's name, and my FIL's name. As for a girl, I have no idea. I just can't find a name that I just LOVE.

Does anyone else know what they're having yet? :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 55 Old 05-30-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
We hopefully find out on the 16th. I'll be 16 weeks then. If not, I have to wait for my 18 week scan. When do you get to find out?
#3 of 55 Old 05-30-2014, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We'll find out on the 17th! I'm so excited! As for names, if it's a boy, he'll be Kellan Danger. Yes, I know, ridiculous middle name, but DP is dead set on it, and I do think its kinda funny. As for girls, Molly Amelia. Kellan we both loved right away, and Molly was the first girl name we could both agree on. Eeeee so excited!
#4 of 55 Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I'm hoping we find out on June 6th, that's my 16 week appointment. :)
#5 of 55 Old 06-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have been letting our 7 and 5 yr old along with some of the nieces and nephews come up with name lists. We will probably go with Reverie Jade for a girl. We don't have a boy name picked out but his middle name will probably be John. Nothing is really set in stone yet.

Danger for a middle name is awesome!
#6 of 55 Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
There is such a big trend of old fashioned and/or botanical names here...some recent babies in my social circles include Rosa, Eleanor, Violet, Hazel, Juniper... My DD is in that trend and this one, if a girl, will probably be Flora, which I love, but wish I wasn't so trendy... It's one thing to have a couple Johns in a preschool class, but to have several Floras seems silly yet possible, and a kindergarten class roster is going to sound like a real garden! Were all so unique, just like everyone else... :thumb
#7 of 55 Old 06-06-2014, 04:15 PM

We've already picked names. David Alan for boy and Madison Lesh for girl. Even though David is a common name, it's still something to keep a family name going and sort of "in memory" type thing which feels right to us. We don't think about how many so and so's will be in school with our kids, just that we are happy with what we've chosen and that when the child is older, they'll feel honored for who they're named after/in honor of.
#8 of 55 Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My DD (8) is Veda (pronounced Vada and after the little girl in the movie my girl). Her middle name is Lilly. I've never met another Veda. My grandmother said it was the name of one of her friends...so it's an old name. My son is named after my brother. He passed away in 2004 at the young age of 25, from severe asthma. My DS, who will be four in two weeks, is Zachary Allen. He has a family name. My late brothers first name. My husband's and my dad's middle name, both Allen:)
We found out on Thursday that we're having another boy!! I really like Emrys (I'm a huge fan of TV show Merlin). My middle name is Brady and so If DH allows it'll be Emrys Brady Merrell.
Good luck with your name choices:):)
#9 of 55 Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have had names picked out forever, and are even decided on middle names now. If the baby's a girl, she will be Lily Marie. I decided about 12 years ago that I would name my daughter Lily, and Marie is a family name on my husband's side. If the baby is a boy, he will be Miles Valentine. Miles was a name in the back of my head for a while, and my husband threw it out as a suggestion one day (long before TTC) and we both fell in love with it. Valentine is a family name on my side. I wonder how many people will do the math and figure we named him that because of when he was conceived (if its a boy) haha!
#10 of 55 Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 AM

We have no girl name picked out, we've totally run out and may have to have the kids vote if this one is another girl.
If it's a boy he will most likely be named Fulton Michael. My husband and I can never agree on boy names and this one was just too easy that I almost feel bad there was no discussion about it. Just a "yeah that sounds good.".

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#11 of 55 Old 06-11-2014, 12:31 PM

My husband is a very go-with-the-flow kinda guy. He rarely has a strong opinion about anything ( mostly because we seem to agree on the things that really matter anyway) but he has a girls name that he likes and I almost feel obligated to go with it. Reverie. I don't dislike it but it isn't my favorite. The middle name will be Jade. We both currently like Ezra for a boy but we aren't ready to commit, lol.
#12 of 55 Old 06-11-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
names are so much fun to pick! They last a lifetime... the first gift you give your child (besides life I suppose). I have a Rita Jane and a Flynn Togen. We are not completely decided on our girl name (well I am but DH doesn't like the spelling) which is Eilley Noel. Eilley (I-lee) is Irish for beautiful bird which I really love and Noel, cough cough is my middle name. For our boy name... this one was really tough... it will be Reuster Owen. My brother died in a car accident November 26th, 2009 one day after my 21st birthday, at 24 yrs. old. He was my soul mate and best friend. So my husband and I wanted to name our son after him, but I didn't want to use his exact name because there is so much pain around it and I want my baby to have his own name. My brother's name was John Everett, and was called Everett. As a baby though our grandma nicknamed him Rooster, and his family called him Roo or Rooster as a nickname. I didn't like the sound of naming my baby after a bird, so I changed the spelling and voila I have got the perfectly original name for my baby and can name him after my brother.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#13 of 55 Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 PM

My oldest is Sage Marie, which dh picked. Our son is Isaac Joshua, from the Bible and Dh's first name is his middle name.

We have a list of names, but nothing we *both* like. I love Lilly for a girl, bit I know 3 ppl who are either pg w/ a Lilly, or just had a Lilly. Dh likes Rose, which I also love, and would be for my g-ma, Rosi. But recently, I have totally fallen for the name Daisy. XD Dh hates it.

For a boy, we like Zachary...but we have Isaac already, so if we call this one "Zach" they would be Isaac and Zach...or Zach and Isaac...it sunds terriblen whe you say it out loud, lol. We have Aiden on the list, which means 'little fire,' but aren't in agreement on it.

Ugh, decisions! LOL
#14 of 55 Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 PM

we have a girl name picked, we actually picked it I think soon after we got married, Joy Margaret (my mom's name is Joyce and my first name and DH's mom's middle name are both margaret).
we cannot agree on a boy name, first or middle!
I like Mike, which would be after DH's grandfather. His name was Mateusz (Polish form of Matthew) but his nickname was Mike. We don't want to just use Matthew, b/c that's DH's name and we don't want a junior. DH likes Michael and call him Mike, but I'm not sure I "love" it. and today someone said their cousin had a baby and named him michael and someone else said, "oh just what the world needs, another michael." so I'm not sure.
and middle names, my DH doesn't think they even matter, he didnt even know his own dads the other day when I asked or his moms before we started dating (she thought it was funny that her middle is the same as my first and told him then).
I suggested all sorts of middle names that are from someone in the family,
Francis, William, Jonathan (or Jon), Peter, etc.. he doesnt really like any of them! argh!!
he said Michael Jonathan sounds "really Catholic." which we are, but i dont think it sounds it!
this is one of the only strong reasons I wish we were finding out the gender, if it's a girl we can stop thinking about boy names!

oh, we also like Derek for a first name, but he's concerned bc our nephews name is Eric... different last name, but he thinks it might be too similar, esp considering there will probably only end up being 4 cousins total...
thoughts, advice on my rambling?

so far a mommy to 2 standard poodles, enjoying my 1st year of marriage to DH and expecting my 1st child (after 1 loss)
#15 of 55 Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 AM

We're having our 5th boy, so we've totally depleted our list of boy names! This would've been so easy if we were having a girl. She would've been Elizabeth Grace. But now we have no idea what to name this little guy. We've jokingly agreed on Thor Michaelson as a nod to my husband's Scandinavian ancestry. We both kind of like Andrew, but we're not sold yet. We'll probably use Mark as a middle name, after DH's dad.

Loving life with my 5 guys: Mike (DH), Matt (5/04), Eric (9/06), Paul (6/09), and Brian (3/12), with baby #5 coming 11/14!
#16 of 55 Old 06-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
long ago my husband decided our kids would start with "J"...so that limits us. For the most part we haven't agreed during pregnancy on a name... but once baby is here it has been easier. I like somewhat unique names (as I have one) but he doesn't... which oldly enough he has a very common name and in school started going by his initials to avoid being a kid with multiple people with the same name in his class.... but yet he wants the kids to have common names..lol We have a common last name so it makes it more challenging.... my third child actually has a boy with his first AND last name in his class! I thought I would really hate it, but have gotten over it.
my oldest daughter- my dh came up with.... it was not what I picked, but it was better than what he brought up during pregnancy..so I went with it(still a petty name though).... later she ended up being friends with several people with same name... it doesn't bother her..she actually likes it. it doesn't bother me either now. Her middle name took me by surprise but I agreed as it is unique (Aurora)
2nd- was the one we pretty much agreed on before birth.... even though we didn't know gender for certain... but *I* knew...I like his name. His middle name was debatable between Alexander and Sebastian..we chose Alexander.... and the day after birth realized that our kids have same initials J A J .....so a tradition was born.... but we didn't plan on having more kids but have had 3 more....and baking another.... so we continued the tradition.
My 4th has a cute unique name..... hubby and I had it down to 2 options before birth and I liked one more than other (but both were exceptable) he won... as always..lol..i still like it but her middle name is very plain (Ann)..but dh wanted her to have some of my middle name, which came from my g-ma so at least it is special..... my last son has a common first name which wasn't my choice but I approved middle name even though somewhat common....i think this is a girl...I like Jewel ...but he doesn't..sigh...lol
#17 of 55 Old 06-19-2014, 04:35 AM

@Momma2Merrell I love the name Veda! And I've always enjoyed the movie My Girl. It is an older style name, but unique.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#18 of 55 Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Badwolf my daughter has always loved her name and when people hear her name they say "oh that's pretty"

When I was prenant with DD. We didn't know what we were having yet, and I was talking about the movie My Girl. My DH said he'd never seen it...I was like, "Oh that's a classic, we've gotta watch it." So we did. And while watching it I heard the name Veda. And then again...and again, liking more every time I heard it. So I told my husband, "if we have a girl, lets name her Veda." He agreed, and our next U/S appointment confirmed we had a Veda

Veda means 'knowledge' and 'wisdom'

USE it!!
#19 of 55 Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM

@Momma2Merrell if I end up with 3 girls, I'll definitely make that the third one's name. Meanwhile, Madison Lesh is growing in the womb as we speak! And if her next sibling is a girl (it's my family's curse!) she will be Reagan Lynn. And we have a list of boy names. I just need to convince my husband 3 is the limit, haha!

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#20 of 55 Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
And to add more pressure to the mix....my oldest daughter wants me to continue the unintentional trend of the girls starting with Ja and the boys starting with Jo............sigh....
#21 of 55 Old 06-23-2014, 01:16 AM

We have kind of a naming theme going on. My name is hyphenated (Sarah-Jean), and my DH is Martin.

We kind of accidentally started a theme where all the boys names ended with N. Didn't even realise it until we named #3 and then for boys 4 and 5 we didn't feel we could break from it.

The girls names are hyphenated like mine but DH loves names that sound a certain way so they now begin with L and end with Y. Thank God this is the last baby we're having otherwise we'd be really stuck for names next time! Anyway, my girls names are Lacey-Rose and Liberty-Hope.

This little baby will be called Lily-Belle.
badwolf092087 likes this.

Mad Mum of many

DS1 (13), DS2 (12), DS3 (10), DS4 (8), DD1 (6), DD2 (5), DS5 (4)
Pregnant with miracle baby #8 (DD3) coming November 2014
#22 of 55 Old 06-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie125 View Post
we have a girl name picked, we actually picked it I think soon after we got married, Joy Margaret (my mom's name is Joyce and my first name and DH's mom's middle name are both margaret).
we cannot agree on a boy name, first or middle!
I like Mike, which would be after DH's grandfather. His name was Mateusz (Polish form of Matthew) but his nickname was Mike. We don't want to just use Matthew, b/c that's DH's name and we don't want a junior. DH likes Michael and call him Mike, but I'm not sure I "love" it. and today someone said their cousin had a baby and named him michael and someone else said, "oh just what the world needs, another michael." so I'm not sure.
and middle names, my DH doesn't think they even matter, he didnt even know his own dads the other day when I asked or his moms before we started dating (she thought it was funny that her middle is the same as my first and told him then).
I suggested all sorts of middle names that are from someone in the family,
Francis, William, Jonathan (or Jon), Peter, etc.. he doesnt really like any of them! argh!!
he said Michael Jonathan sounds "really Catholic." which we are, but i dont think it sounds it!
this is one of the only strong reasons I wish we were finding out the gender, if it's a girl we can stop thinking about boy names!

oh, we also like Derek for a first name, but he's concerned bc our nephews name is Eric... different last name, but he thinks it might be too similar, esp considering there will probably only end up being 4 cousins total...
thoughts, advice on my rambling?
Matteus? Not sure of how to pronounce your Dh's original Polish version, but maybe it's just different enough? There are a lot of Michael's, but that is because it is a nice name.

We weren't able to come up with ANY boy names, which is lucky because we are having a girl! So, I totally feel your pain there and we were totally relieved to simply have our "Abby".

Good luck!
#23 of 55 Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 AM

oooh, Matteus is a nice name! Good thinking on a different version of Mathew.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#24 of 55 Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am thinking Marcus for a boy and Fiona for a girl. What does everyone think about that? We keep our choices a secret from family and friends until the baby is born, but I would love opinions!
badwolf092087 likes this.
#25 of 55 Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Fiona is a lovely name, and Marcus sounds very strong and handsome. They are both verging on the uncommon side I would think, but aren't weird . I love names that aren't common, even old fashioned.

-Benjamin Franklin

#26 of 55 Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I love Fiona! We are set on Flora for a girl (and found out today that's what it is!) but had it been twin girls I would have done Flora and Fiona. Which now that I type it is maybe too cutesy-twinny but sounds great out loud. But I digress. So our girls are Rosa (dd#1) and Flora!
#27 of 55 Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I like them both, too!
#28 of 55 Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks!
#29 of 55 Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I suggested Fiona to my dh, he shot it down. I love it though! I love Marcus also, very masculine.

I don't share my names with family or friends until baby arrives, but I have to share with someone, so I'll share here. I am so in love with this name, Freya. I can't wait to see my little Freya.

Last edited by deannafm; 08-03-2014 at 09:55 AM.
#30 of 55 Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM

We found out the gender of our little one at 17.5 weeks. She is a sweet, little, very active girl We had NO clue what to name her and it was getting very frustrating, but we finally started putting random family names together and came up with Annelise Rose. Annelise was the name I had picked out for a girl during my 1st pregnancy, but I had a boy. Anne is DH's maternal grandmother's middle name and great grandmother's first name. Elise means "devoted to God" and Rose is DH's paternal grandmother and great grandmother's middle name. I love it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page