Fabulous articles about breastfeeding in public! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fabulous articles about breastfeeding in public!

The author addresses many of the negative comments and opinions of those who do not like breastfeeding in public. I love the way she is advocating without being aggressive but answering the opposing views with well thought-out answers!

http://www.scarymommy.com/whats-so-h...eed-in-public/

http://www.motherhoodandmore.com/201...-concerns.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I've been looking at a lot of breastfeeding tops recently online, thinking ahead. My DD had oral issues following a NICU stay and thus I pumped for a year for her, but no feeding at the breast, so I'm well stocked with the bras but have never had to deal with breastfeeding in public. So the nursing tops are a whole new territory for me. Anyways, I've been having a hard time finding what I wanted- someone that just pulls down, or to the side, not something with elaborate intertwining layers (to wear over and already sufficiently complicated bra) that leaves exactly only your nipple exposed. It made me realize how averse we are to breast exposure. The point of most breastfeeding clothing is not easy access, but lots of coverage. I get this somewhat- like, I don't think I want my postpartum belly hanging out, and not everyone wants a lot of breast visible. But how much of these elaborate and expensive tops is for the benefit of mom and baby, versus for the benefit of not rocking the boat publicly and for the benefit of judge mental strangers? I know lots of people like these tops, so I don't want to bash that, but it just slowly came to me that not all of these tops are exactly pro-breastfeeding when you get down to it. But then again, I am not a terribly modest person generally and live in a very pro-breastfeeding and liberal area... In contrast much of what I've seen for maternity clothes in a lot of online searches looks remarkably skimpy and sexual. Like, strapless, really short dresses, tight leggings, high heels, etc. we seem happy to sexualize women then (or allow women to express their body's sexuality).
Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
hmm, cool articles... I am a pretty modest person, personality wise. I love to see women nursing in public places because it is what we are meant to do. I never had any special nursing tops or anything like that with my other two, and this time am definitely looking into them. I just hated my post partum belly hanging out. That is what bugged me the most when nursing at family functions and what not. Whenever I had to nurse and we were out and about, I would just nurse in the car. I always nurse before we go in somewhere like the grocery store or wherever. That way the baby wouldn't get hungry while shopping and if we were out for the day, I would just go back to the car and nurse. Easy peasy

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
A friend usually wears an outer top that pulls down and an inner top that's a tank that she put elastic in just under the bust. She pulls that up or down. I''ve got a much larger cup size + will probably need a bra too, but I'm planning to make a bunch of the short tops to nurse in. Most ladies could probably do the same with a light support sports bra, but I have a tiny ribcage, so they don't fit properly.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I always breastfed in public. Occasionally I got some stares and a few quite obvious teenage boys try to get a peak! Never really bothered me.

I agree the worst thing was the postpartum belly exposure! I repurposed my belly bands for that.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
good idea Marilyn with the bellybands! I am definitely going to use those for postpartum I hadn't even thought about them covering the tummy breastfeeding.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

User Tag List