Eating styles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 of 11 Old 06-23-2014, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Eating styles?

Any paleo or WAP mamas?? I am trying to eat more paleo but lean more WAP. I have had some salmon roe sushi while pregnant but am nervous about doing it again. It is supposed to be ok cause it is canned in soy sauce or something.

Anyway- anyone eat this way?

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-24-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't know what WAP is, but paleo yes, before pregnancy. When I became pregnant the only I could eat or keep down, or even sounded good was carbs, like pasta and cereal. I can't wait to return to way if life. It's been easier now to return mostly to it, but there are times I'm still craving cereal and pizza.
#3 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We are paleo, mostly. We do eat white rice, and I make soaked oatmeal for breakfast about once a month when we are out of other breakfast choices. Which, of course, my two year old goes completely nuts for- like I'm giving her cake or something.

I don't see any reason to be worried about salmon roe sushi, or sushi at all really. Sushi is fine as long as you avoid high mercury fish and are okay with the small risk of getting food poisoning from raw fish. Sushi is not a risk for listeria. So, while it might make YOU sick, it won't harm the fetus.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

#4 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I don't care if it makes me sick……

WAP = Weston A Price in other words traditional foods diet like Nourishing Traditions

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#5 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Go for it then, it's a great way to get more fish in your diet, and salmon roe is excellent for you. I just don't eat sushi ahi or yellowtail, everything else should be fair game.

#6 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Oh, we do ... or did. I have a pregnancy aversion to meat. I can choke down eggs and some fish but chicken and beef. Ugh.

The other night I had a good Paleo meal and was starving 30 minutes later. I ate carby crap and felt great for hours.

I am really at a loss ...
#7 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM

Are you getting enough carbs eating paleo? Pakeo, especially during pregnancy shouldn't be low carb. Sweet potatoes, fresh fruit, white rice, white potatoes, those are all good carb sources, and, yes, white rice and white potatoes are considered 'paleo' by most people now. I also find that I need to make sure I'm eating enough fat in order to stay full. That's part of the reason why I've added grass-fed dairy, mainly as cheese, back into my diet, so I have another high fat snack option. Coconut milk smoothies are also another good option.

#8 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm more primal than Paleo, as I like and do fine on dairy. I also fell off the wagon in the first tri due to nausea. Typically I'm very low carb, but while pregnant I allow myself white rice, some potatoes and sweet potatoes as well as lots more fruit than I would normally. I have not avoided sushi at all, in fact, it's more of a staple in my diet than anything now.
#9 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
usuallycurious: I like to eat WAP, though I do not do a good job. Eat more carbs if it makes you feel better, but be mindful of them being nourishing. Sourdough bread with lots of butter, loaded baked potatoes with raw milk cheese and butter, soaked oats, etc.

I wouldn't worry about the roe. It is sacred food in many cultures for pregnant women.
#10 of 11 Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to find the right carb "level" so to say. That is kind of hard. I don't want to be undernourishing my baby but I don't want to overdo it with the carbs either.

#11 of 11 Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 AM

Yeah, I really don't worry about carbs at all, but that's the norm for me. I personally think it's pretty hard to overdo carbs if you're paleo, as long as you're not eating white rice/potatoes for more than one meal a day.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page