Exercise?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Exercise??

Is it just me or is there anyone else who wants to freak out about all the articles on staying fit while pregnant? I get it... I get it... But I'm freaking tired, man!! Who wrote these articles? Who does all of that? I'm feeling pretty accomplished after I weed my garden or clean my house. I can barely talk myself into taking a 30 min walk 3 times a week. Ugh. Is it just me?? If not, how do you ladies do it? I'm feeling pretty guilty over here but I love jogging, just not when I'm 20 weeks pregnant :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
dude....I don't plan to do much exercise.....actually was just thinking of how to tell my aerobics instructor that I quite her class...lol. I obviously am going to say that I am pg....but that doesn't fly with her as she actually taught class up until right before the baby was born!!! I think I will tell her that my last pg, I ended up in the er because I over did it lifting boxes and bending and stooping. ;P But I am sure she will say, that I was probably just doing it wrong and in her class she would show me the safe way to exercise....bleh. I just don't want to do that stuff right now!!! I was horribly worn out while not pregnant, I couldn't imagine me at 19 weeks pg exercising like that! So don't feel bad, I don't think you are the only mama that doesn't want to exercise! I don't mind lifting weights, but definitely don't want to do anything bouncy right now. =S

I eat relatively healthy and am still doing great on weight....so I am not concerned about lack of exercise =)

Last edited by BlessedOne; 06-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Whenever I push it and go for a longer walk (like, an hour), I cannot do anything else for the rest of the day- physical, but also anything requiring patience, such as DDs bedtime routine. But I remember feeling way better about walking starting at 20 or maybe 22 weeks, and walked for an hour most days. My. On had gestational diabetes so that is always in the back of my mind- want to avoid that! I don't know if I will get there with this one, since I'm using up so much more energy with my toddler. I'm sure there will be no running. Plus, I remember that my skinniest days ever were when making breastmilk- I could burn unlimited amount of calories!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Have any of you watched the movie "What to Expect When You're Expecting" ..? It depicts both the mom who pregnancy "destroys" and the mom who just makes it look so easy. That is the woman exercising and saying to do so during pregnancy. I find standing up to be exhausting on it's own!

Take it easy, do what you can in small steps. A friend of mine who had a very rough pregnancy said she was still able to do basic Pilates and yoga that didn't involve strenuous positions or movement. I personally have never done either, but who knows? Might help us all at some point?

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. When I was pregnant with my daughter at 22 years old I worked out everyday. Every. Day. Now at 30 I'm just not feeling it! I know I'm losing muscle and it doesn't help that over 2 1/2 months ago I was bit by a brown recluse on my inner thigh. I spent 5 days in the hospital at 11 weeks pregnant I could barely walk so, that wasn't the best way to enter into this pregnancy. AND it's still not healed. I have a huge open wound on my leg that's probably making me exhausted as my body tries to repair itself at the same time it's growing another human! Anyway, I can tell I'm getting fatter, but I keep telling myself I'll burn it all off after I have him and I'm nursing. But what if it isn't that easy?? Lol.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I never thought I'd miss jogging, but I do! I could barely keep myself fed first trimester, though, and I like my pelvic floor too much to start from zero now.

My dance troupe put on a 45min show two weeks ago - I actually danced about 3 minutes of choreography, and it was exhausting.

I told myself that I'd be better about prenatal yoga after rehearsals ended, but now I get winded going up a flight of stairs, so it's hard to convince myself.

Which is the long form of "me, too."
Old 06-26-2014, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm doing my best now that I am not completely beaten down by the first trimester. I did 20 minutes taking it very easy on the elliptical today and checked out a prenatal yoga DVD from the library to try. I go to prenatal yoga in person on Sundays and I usually need to take a break or two. I don't get embarrassed or competitive about yoga so that works great for me. I find that I feel more tired and sluggish when I do nothing, but yes, overdoing it (like an hour of walking outdoors in the summer heat, even when I'm drinking water constantly) will finish me. I try to listen to my body and also to know the difference between real exhaustion and sluggishness. It's hard. I look back on the cycle I got pregnant (exercising every day and brimming with energy) with longing. It'll probably be quite some time before I feel that way again.

And P.S. Bitten by a brown recluse while pregnant?!? Awful! Terrifying! I wouldn't be pushing myself in the slightest while trying to recover from that! Get well soon, naturesbabies!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I work out still....but it is hard! I am so much more out of breath and its a huge effort. My job is very physically demanding and I fear injury at work if I slack at the gym.

Having said that I could go on light duties at work but don't really want to. Its just alot of down time (read 8 hrs of thumb twidling).

I am also trying to get hired in another county that is less intense....which would require a physical agility test (common in my line if work).

I know I know slow down right! Opportunities arose unexpectedly
Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
@marilyn612 during my first pregnancy 5 years ago, I was working full time in retail management and able to do 50+ hours without realizing it! And I didn't slow down until it took me forever to fit at my desk or behind the counter. I know I was also able to work out then without thinking about it. Now those seem like dreams and goals, lol.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

Old 06-26-2014, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm 21 weeks, and just in the past two weeks I've been feeling up for more exercise again. I do think it's important to keep up something, but you have to balance it with rest. I agree that if I really go for it, I'm really tired the rest of the day, so I try to keep my activity to the late afternoon. My mantra when it gets hard is, it's easier than labor.

I don't think you need to try and keep up your pre pregnancy exercise levels, but I think forcing yourself to do that walk 3 times a week is worth it.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
P.s. Ladies I hope my post disn't sound all "i am way better". I meant it as I totally get it but am kinda forced to.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It's really not just you. I feel the same, if we go out for the day (beach, park, library) ...it's over for me for the rest of the day.
I JUST started forcing myself to walk this week! I am going to try Mon, Wed, Fri at first, then hopefully move to all week. I have my son in his stroller, and my daughter is riding her bike (and our dog. I have two loops that equal 30 mins in a fast walk, if I can do them both, HA! I only did one on Monday (heat got to me), and I did both Wednesday. So, hopefully Friday I get out early enough to do both...before we have to get ready for story hour.

Don't worry about the articles and such. It's better for us, and we know that. Some of us (me) already feel guilty and don't need the pressure...ugh!

If you wanna start something, start small with a little goal You can do it
Old 06-27-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I always try to do what my body tells me to do. I didn't exercise at all with my first two pregnancies and was fat and tired by the end of them, so this time around exercise is much more important to me. I am always exhausted before I talk myself into exercising but feel much better afterwards even though I still sit down on the couch and put my feet up. I have found that my body gets very sore if I do not exercise and I gain weight very quickly and easily if I slack. I totally get you though! I hate all of those articles and yes many days I definitely feel like I got my workout in with just cleaning the house.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am right there with ya! I honestly think some of those articles are out there for the women who do remain active to get people off their backs for being active (like the pregnant crossfitters, athletes, marathon runners), after all we're not made of glass. On the other hand, I miss the articles saying sit on your butt and eat ice cream! (Those existed, right? Ok, I'm not THAT bad, but I do get pretty tired just sweeping, vacuuming, chasing the two year old, serving 50 snacks which will only be slightly nibbled, etc. Some days all I want to do is sleep, other days I love taking the kids and going for a bike ride or walking to the park. It's totally normal, and all I would want to encourage is doing a little bit of weights, stretching, squats, something small that you can manage will really help as the pregnancy progresses, it helps with the future back/hip pain, and with labor. Sometimes walking makes me feel worse so I try to find something else to do. I'm just trying to convince myself right now, haha!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I feel like honestly right now it is WAY to hot to exercise it is 90 degrees here lately and it is too HOT even in air conditioning at my gym with a fan. I might swim for awhile this week

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
Old 06-30-2014, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I'm not really "exercising" per se, but I am doing a core rehabilitation program for my awful diastasis. I just started it yesterday so I don't really have any results yet, but am hopeful based on some reviews I've heard about the program.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.

User Tag List