• 2 Post By crayon
  • 1 Post By mamabear7
  • 1 Post By Viola P
  • 1 Post By crazyms

#1 of 19 Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My niece just gave birth at Bremerton Naval Hospital ...

They said they were taking the baby away because she was breastfeeding on demand instead of scheduled feedings and she was starving the baby to death by not allowing formula supplementation.

She has inverted nipples and they never even told her they had a lactation consultant on staff.

They forced her to undergo a psych evaluation and an IQ test before they would release the baby to her.

WTH?! She was severely sleep deprived after a 2.5 day labor and apparently wasn't answering their questions to their liking. My sister said the social worker asked, "Where do you live?" My niece answered by telling her the name of the neighborhood on base. The social worker said, "So you don't even know your own address?" and began writing.

I found a LLL group local and found out the LC at the hospital was excellent. When my sister asked why they had not called in the LC when they saw her nipples, they said, "Well, she was busy yesterday." Gross negligence on the nurses part.

I strongly recommended (read cursing and yelling into the phone) that my niece hire an attorney and sent a list of local family law practices. As soon as the hospital found out she had an attorney they backed off of everything. They said, "She has an attorney?! How did she find one so fast?" Um, she has me for an aunt, that's how!

Thank God she's home with the baby now!

An IQ test, for God's sake!
granolamommie likes this.
#2 of 19 Old 06-27-2014, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
for god's sake that is just sick! That poor girl to have to go through that!!!

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#3 of 19 Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 AM

hell she should proceed with the lawyer and get them for something... emotional pain and suffering. And I usually hate suing and am not a big fan of lawyers, but they really did a number on that poor girl; a time for joy and new beginnings that turned ugly and painful... she will probably always be hurt over this.
granolamommie likes this.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#4 of 19 Old 07-01-2014, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear7 View Post
hell she should proceed with the lawyer and get them for something... emotional pain and suffering. And I usually hate suing and am not a big fan of lawyers, but they really did a number on that poor girl; a time for joy and new beginnings that turned ugly and painful... she will probably always be hurt over this.
I think she should, too. If nothing else she needs to have the lawyer draft a strongly worded letter demanding better training for the LDR staff in regards to breastfeeding and patient relations.
#5 of 19 Old 07-01-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When I had my first daughter at UofM I was 24, first baby, not married (although we were together for 5 years prior and now 16 years strong) but, we also were a self transfer from a home birth.

I was in labor for 36 hours and she was born 1 hour after we got to the hospital. Within the hour- I would even say 20 minutes from birth, but time is shady, They had a social worker in the room telling me they were going to take my baby because we refused vaccines- including the eye ointment. They said "you can refuse Vit. K, but not the eye ointment". First, that is a LIE- I can refuse anything- and second- "I have no STDs, she doesn't need it" - they said "Ok, listen we will give you 5 minutes to decide, after that we will take her into custody if you refuse and we will do it anyway. You will have to go to court in a few days and try to get her out of foster care".....

SWEAR TO GOD... All I wanted to do was nurse her and put our cloth diapers on her and be a mama.

I would not let them take her- so I did as they demanded. I figured the eye ointment was not worth the loss and fight to gain custody back of my daughter.

I HATE doctors- CPS and the whole get up. I don't trust them at all. CPS is accountable to NO ONE- they hold all the power and judges believe them because that is their job- to see neglect and remove children.

It is a scary system when you have new mothers, with no sleep and medications (in many cases) being put into positions of such terror.

And she comes from a family that serves this country- and this is what they do to her.
Usually Curious likes this.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#6 of 19 Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am literally in SHOCK. I can't believe that would happen in the US. And here I know moms smoking so much pot they can't drive while pregnant and they get their babies handed to them on a silver platter. This just makes me so angry

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#7 of 19 Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon View Post
When I had my first daughter at UofM I was 24, first baby, not married (although we were together for 5 years prior and now 16 years strong) but, we also were a self transfer from a home birth.

I was in labor for 36 hours and she was born 1 hour after we got to the hospital. Within the hour- I would even say 20 minutes from birth, but time is shady, They had a social worker in the room telling me they were going to take my baby because we refused vaccines- including the eye ointment. They said "you can refuse Vit. K, but not the eye ointment". First, that is a LIE- I can refuse anything- and second- "I have no STDs, she doesn't need it" - they said "Ok, listen we will give you 5 minutes to decide, after that we will take her into custody if you refuse and we will do it anyway. You will have to go to court in a few days and try to get her out of foster care".....

SWEAR TO GOD... All I wanted to do was nurse her and put our cloth diapers on her and be a mama.

I would not let them take her- so I did as they demanded. I figured the eye ointment was not worth the loss and fight to gain custody back of my daughter.

I HATE doctors- CPS and the whole get up. I don't trust them at all. CPS is accountable to NO ONE- they hold all the power and judges believe them because that is their job- to see neglect and remove children.

It is a scary system when you have new mothers, with no sleep and medications (in many cases) being put into positions of such terror.

And she comes from a family that serves this country- and this is what they do to her.
So sorry, Mama! Don't get me started about CPS. My SIL is a lobbyist for family rights. She has busted wide open several adoption rings in Texas courts/CPS/police. She's had death threats made against her and her family. She had a client walk out of court and get murdered by the police because he knew his rights and stood up to the judge. I despise CPS. They act when they shouldn't and don't when they should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamommie View Post
I am literally in SHOCK. I can't believe that would happen in the US. And here I know moms smoking so much pot they can't drive while pregnant and they get their babies handed to them on a silver platter. This just makes me so angry
Grrr.

She's back in the hospital because baby is not gaining weight despite nursing quite often. She's nursing and pumping and baby is still losing weight. They threatened her again and she demanded they give the baby some tests to find out what was wrong. She told them she was doing her part, they needed to do theirs. The tests all came back negative but there is something wrong if baby is nursing so much and still not gaining.

Active duty military cannot sue military hospitals/docs for malpractice. Nice, huh?
#8 of 19 Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Has the hospital LC been involved yet?
Maybe she is transferring milk well.
#9 of 19 Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post
Has the hospital LC been involved yet?
Maybe she is transferring milk well.
Yes, and she is supposedly excellent. I spoke to the local LLL leader and she was highly recommended.

They are stumped.
#10 of 19 Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
Yes, and she is supposedly excellent. I spoke to the local LLL leader and she was highly recommended.

They are stumped.
You know, thanks for the thoughts. I just sent my sis a link about tongue-ties. My God, that would be such an easy explanation!

LOL, sorry I quoted myself instead of Asiago!

Last edited by Usually Curious; 07-07-2014 at 07:27 PM.
#11 of 19 Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So sad she had to return there. What a horrible situation to put a mother in. :-( It is like walking into a bull-pin and you are the clown- and they are just waiting to charge.

I had CPS come to my house a few years ago because my children were selling eggs at the end of our driveway- on our property- but someone was worried they would get kidnapped- we live in a very rural town of 800 people- please...

I hope it is simply a tongue-tie issue and she can get the hell out of dodge.

Military cant sue military hospitals? Once again, the government has no liability to the citizens. What the hell...

I would so love to hear about your sister- that is my kinda gal!
Usually Curious and mamabear7 like this.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#12 of 19 Old 07-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I feel,silly, I meant to say 'not' transferring milk well. I do hope baby has been examined for lip as well as tongue tie.
I really feel for your niece, what a difficult set of circumstances. The hospital sounds as if it is not at all current on breastfeeding, such a shame.
#13 of 19 Old 07-08-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post
I feel,silly, I meant to say 'not' transferring milk well. I do hope baby has been examined for lip as well as tongue tie.
I really feel for your niece, what a difficult set of circumstances. The hospital sounds as if it is not at all current on breastfeeding, such a shame.
No tongue-tie. She's not losing, but not gaining. They're keeping her for observation. My niece is looking for a civilian pedi. I think she should have her attorney get involved and go home. She can take her baby to the pedi on her own.

I think she may be concerned that her dh's career could be impacted is she or her attorney get too aggressive.
#14 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No tongue-tie. She's not losing, but not gaining. They're keeping her for observation. My niece is looking for a civilian pedi. I think she should have her attorney get involved and go home. She can take her baby to the pedi on her own.

I think she may be concerned that her dh's career could be impacted is she or her attorney get too aggressive.
Baby is finally gaining. She's pumping and bottle feeding most of the time. I guess it was a transfer thing. She's still so sore ... but baby is gaining!
#15 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 PM

and some babies just take a while to start gaining. My daughter did not gain much at all the first week or so, thank goodness for my awesome understanding pediatrician. My little girl only weighed 17 lbs. at her year check up. All babies are different, god forbid they don't line up perfectly with the average numbers

-Benjamin Franklin

#16 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
They said they were taking the baby away because she was breastfeeding on demand instead of scheduled feedings and she was starving the baby to death by not allowing formula supplementation.

She has inverted nipples and they never even told her they had a lactation consultant on staff.

They forced her to undergo a psych evaluation and an IQ test before they would release the baby to her.

WTH?! She was severely sleep deprived after a 2.5 day labor and apparently wasn't answering their questions to their liking. My sister said the social worker asked, "Where do you live?" My niece answered by telling her the name of the neighborhood on base. The social worker said, "So you don't even know your own address?" and began writing.

I found a LLL group local and found out the LC at the hospital was excellent. When my sister asked why they had not called in the LC when they saw her nipples, they said, "Well, she was busy yesterday." Gross negligence on the nurses part.

I strongly recommended (read cursing and yelling into the phone) that my niece hire an attorney and sent a list of local family law practices. As soon as the hospital found out she had an attorney they backed off of everything. They said, "She has an attorney?! How did she find one so fast?" Um, she has me for an aunt, that's how!

Thank God she's home with the baby now!

An IQ test, for God's sake!
What happened to your niece is abhorrent but unsurprising given how hospitals treat women
#17 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Doesn't surprise me unfortunately. My ds got sick at 7 weeks and after getting to the hospital his fever spiked combined with his age that wanted spinal taps and all sorts of work done. I requested a transfer to the awesome children's hospital we have so NICU could take him. They refused and threatened to call the police and have me evaluated for child abuse since I wouldn't let them treat him and wanted a transfer. I walked out AMA (which they tried to tell me I couldn't do) and straight to the children's hospital. The doc there was awesome and even had people there take over and have a come to Jesus moment with my local hospital about the helicopters and their purpose for transferring babies to a NICU. It was terrifying though! I hope your niece gets everything sorted out. I agree all babies gain differently. If everything else looks okay then she may just be a slow grower. I wish her the best.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#18 of 19 Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
You mean like this?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/cali...harge-19081468

I guess all parents are deemed de facto incompetent to make medical decisions for their children, that's the doctors job.

Disgusting
#19 of 19 Old 07-18-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola P View Post
You mean like this?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/cali...harge-19081468

I guess all parents are deemed de facto incompetent to make medical decisions for their children, that's the doctors job.

Disgusting
I think that may be the story from a year or so ago that took involvement from the Russian government (the parents are Russian nationals) to get CPS to back off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page