Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By missmagoo

#1 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baby doll for older sibling

My daughter turned two in May, so she will be 2.5 when this baby is born. She is really into baby doll right now, but doesn't have one of her own (I made her a totally organic Waldorf doll for her birthday, but it's got nothing on those hard head baby dolls she sees at my midwife's or at daycare). Anyway, I'm thinking about getting her an actual baby doll(I'm thinking the rosy cheek baby as a compromise because it's still a soft doll, but obviously a 'baby') because I know she would love it.

My question is: should I get it for her now so she can play with it before the baby gets here, or should I wait and have it be a gift to her from the new baby? If I gave it to her now, I would probably give her an outfit for it and make her a doll sling for it when the baby arrives.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

#2 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would say wait.....maybe it would deter any possible jealously issues when baby arrives??
Plus it gives her something that she can mimic you and baby with once baby comes. If you wanted, you could even give it to her just a few days before your due date....so it would still be new to her and exciting when baby comes....but it would also give her something to use a pass time while she waits for you to have the baby. You could still do the sling and outfit, just maybe wait until you give the doll or maybe after your baby is born.

I don't know if you have considered it, but when I had my second child, we stopped calling baby dolls "babies", but instead "dolls"...so she wouldn't get confused with the terms and how they were different. She was 28 months when her brother was born. We just didn't want to say something like "oh you cant hold the baby"..............but then she think she cant hold her baby. I am sure children are smarter than I give them credit for..lol...but I just wanted to avoid any possible issues. So when I was pregnant, we started calling all of her baby dolls, "dolls" (or if you wanted to name the doll and call it by name). Honestly, I don't know if all of this helped avoid any issues, but I would like to think that it did =S
#3 of 7 Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would probably give it sooner to practice beforehand and help her understanding of what's coming. Maybe do the sling as a gift from the baby or make a big sister t-shirt or something? You can show her how she can breastfeed her baby or get her a bottle so she can "practice" for how to help feed her baby sibling. It can help start conversations, even 2 year old questions. I know my 2.5 year old son isn't too sure about everything, I'm pretty sure he thinks there is a baby in *everyone's* belly right now, haha.

Waiting isn't a bad idea either, so the conversations will be fresh and she'll be just *that* much older. Whatever you decide will work out perfectly, mama.
#4 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My husband and I got our daughter a baby doll when I was pregnant with my second so she could "practice" everything we would be doing when her little brother comes. It opened up lots of conversations on babies and how life would be new and awesome and different. It was also presented as a big sister present. We also made a big sister t-shirt for her later in the pregnancy. I like to think it made it more fun and exciting while she was waiting.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#5 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Yea, doing it now is a teaching tool, and you could have another gift for when baby arrives. No need for one toy to serve too many purposes.

On a related note, a friend and I are due around the same time, and she has a 4 yo and I have a 3 yo. So her sister is throwing us a "sibling" shower. Neither of us really need anything new for baby, although I'm sure we'll get some stuff. But it should be so cool for the siblings-to-be!! I'd never heard of the idea before but I love it now. Plus, I don't like to be the center of attention. I didn't have a shower with DD because she came so early, so I sort of want that experience, but on the other hand the standard shower doesn't seem enjoyable to me, so this feels perfect. And it seems to take off some of the pressure/tempting fate aspects of what-if-this-ones-early too.
#6 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
the reason why I said wait is because at least with my kids, once they have a toy for a while, they lose interest in it for the most part....I would hate to have that happen prior to birth...but maybe the constant interaction with the doll during pregnancy might help keep her interest =S
#7 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I gave it to her a few days ago and I think, for her, it was the right choice. She is pretty devoted to her various stuffed friends- she doesn't tend to discard them after a few months like she does with other toys, so I don't think that will be a problem.

She's been doing all kinds of play scenarios with it, and I think its helping to prepare her.
BlessedOne likes this.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page